Question about putting a mic on my amp

mynameistaken

• Members

Originally posted by jumpchamp

sure will. just like whispering or screaming into a mic with your mouth.

that's what it does, reproduce sound! is your question related to solos or lead parts?

exactly. when i stomp the boost switch on my amp i want it to boost through the PA as well. so if my amp is like 80 decibals and when i hit the boost it goes to 85 the mic will pick up that change. good to know.

thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by mynameistaken

exactly. when i stomp the boost switch on my amp i want it to boost through the PA as well. so if my amp is like 80 decibals and when i hit the boost it goes to 85 the mic will pick up that change. good to know.

thanks!

The other factor in the equation, is if there is a sound person.

So, for example, imagine you get a sound person who doesn't like your style of music or how loud you are to begin with, or your hairstyle or the stickers on your guitar case. In that situation, if you turn up your stage amp to 85 dB for your solo and it peeves the sound person for any reason (or no reason at all), it's always the sound person's prerogative to turn you right back down, if they feel like it. For this reason, if you get a soundcheck, it's always good to check with a song with a boosted solo in it, so you can see what the sound person does with it (if possible, have someone stand out front to see that your solo comes through) and hash out any problems in advance.

But there's not much you can do about it if it's the house sound person (as opposed to bringing your own sound person whom you could fire or chew out) who later on decides to negate your stage boosts.

Just so you know, that sorta thing does sometime happen.

BK

• Moderators

Originally posted by mynameistaken

thanks!

it may also be effected if there is a limiter or a compressor on the PA...

• Members

Originally posted by hankypanky

Sorry to kind of take this off-topic but where do you normally put the mike to get the best sound? like...middle of the speaker, off to the side? Anybody have suggestions about how to find the sweet spot?

Personaly I can't hear that much of a difference with mic placement in a live situation. I attatch the mic to a long goose neck stuck under the handle on top of my combo and bend it down in front of one of the speakers and have at it.

• Members

Originally posted by caveman

Personaly I can't hear that much of a difference with mic placement in a live situation. I attatch the mic to a long goose neck stuck under the handle on top of my combo and bend it down in front of one of the speakers and have at it.

Yeah. live just point it in and go. I usually try to get it at about a right angle to the cone and within 1-5 inches or so, depending on how loud I'm playing.

Here's a recent pic of my rig for my side band mic'd:

HotHeadsSunnRissonRig2005.jpg

BK

• Members

I find a big difference as to where I put the mic. I believe technically, you should put it just off center of a speaker, facing straight into it. I have a marshall and a 4x12 cab with an iso cab in front of that so I can crank it up and not kill small animals. Seems like a bit of trouble but I get great mic'ed tone. If you have access to a PA, play around with mic placement. Otherwise a good sound guy will geneally know where and how to mic. Also, distance to the speaker makes a difference. Just have to experiment with it to get what you want. :)

• Members

Originally posted by hankypanky

Sorry to kind of take this off-topic but where do you normally put the mike to get the best sound? like...middle of the speaker, off to the side? Anybody have suggestions about how to find the sweet spot?

A good idea would be to have someone move your mic for you while you stand out front between the speakers. Put it in front of a speaker, pointed at an angle...aim it between the edge of the cone, and the edge of the speaker.

Use that as a starting point, and have your friend move it in tiny increments towards the cone. What you're listening for is the most accurate reproduction of your tone as you like it onstage.

If you don't hear anything that you like, have him move it the other way, also in tiny increments, until you get it right. This will illustrate for you the tremendous differences that mic placement can make on your tone. You can have the most incredible tone ever onstage, and totally blow it with bad mic placement.

• Members

Originally posted by one4rich

A good idea would be to have someone move your mic for you while you stand out front between the speakers. Put it in front of a speaker, pointed at an angle...aim it between the edge of the cone, and the edge of the speaker.

Use that as a starting point, and have your friend move it in tiny increments towards the cone. What you're listening for is the most accurate reproduction of your tone as you like it onstage.

If you don't hear anything that you like, have him move it the other way, also in tiny increments, until you get it right. This will illustrate for you the tremendous differences that mic placement can make on your tone. You can have the most incredible tone ever onstage, and totally blow it with bad mic placement.

+1001 :cool:

This is something every guitarist should do, and remember the results. Don't let your great stage sound be screwed up by an incompetent sound person, you should know yourself what generally the best place is for the mic in your setup.

Though it also depends a lot on the mic of course, so the best position is not always the same.

• Members

As far as micing goes, a good osund guy will usually bust out a flashlight and actually look at the speaker when micing. The firs time I saw that, I said well holy crap, what a great idea! The speaker may be located differently on different cabs, so just planting it in the lower left quarter of the cab might not be accurate enough.

As far as solo boosting... make sure you tell the sound guy you will be doing your own boosting. It's easier for him that way, he doesn't know when you're going to solo.. you do. Just check the levels against each other at sound check. If he's not aware of it, and you kick in a boost, he may lower your volume to compensate, and you kick the boost off and you're that much lower than you started. Just keep him informed.

• Members

Originally posted by moleman

As far as micing goes, a good osund guy will usually bust out a flashlight and actually look at the speaker when micing. The firs time I saw that, I said well holy crap, what a great idea! The speaker may be located differently on different cabs, so just planting it in the lower left quarter of the cab might not be accurate enough.

As far as solo boosting... make sure you tell the sound guy you will be doing your own boosting. It's easier for him that way, he doesn't know when you're going to solo.. you do. Just check the levels against each other at sound check. If he's not aware of it, and you kick in a boost, he may lower your volume to compensate, and you kick the boost off and you're that much lower than you started. Just keep him informed.

AMEN! I actually had the bad miking situation arise with my Legend cabinet, which is a 2x12. The problem is that it's the size of a 4x10, and the speakers are mounted diagonally. FOH put the mic on the corner and walked away. I was busy and didn't notice where he'd put it. He came up during the set and checked the cable, snake, etc. and when I looked closely I sussed it out. He'd miked the space! You can't see the speakers because it has a cane grille...without a mag-lite you can't see anything!

I also do my own solo boosts, which I always go over during soundcheck with FOH. I show him my rig, tell him how I do it, and it's all good. FOH is usually busy enough that he's happy to not have to worry about we guitarists and our ideosyncrasies.:D

• Members

Originally posted by lewie

to be honest, from my limited experience, the further away the better, so if you can postion it maybe 1 ft and 1/2 away from the amp with a directional mic, the best sound will be acheived. IMO.

Maybe in the studio, but not live. For live work, you want it right up in the speaker, perhaps an inch from the grille. That's why positioning is so critical.

Archived