Anyone here ever covered 'Pinball Wizard'?

RoboCop00

• Members

Never worked out well for us.

Picking covers is a tricky business. They have to be songs both somewhat recognizable and still with room for you to put your own stamp on without it pissing the audience off.

Pinball Wizard doesn't qualify. Not to mention, the ending/outro always pissed me off in that tune. Always seemed weak - we never did it that way.

EDIT: and after playign it 3 times with no huge response, it was gone from the set. Banished.

• Members

I've also played it since it was new and still do. I used to segue into it from See Me, Feel Me. It worked well. One major point I always found is to make the electric guitar and bass intro slide to the B very strong.

As for the ending; yes, it can sound rather weak. A good compromise is to take it straight into another song. I've found that in the midst of several good dance tunes it works okay to play a short mini-concert of two or three songs not really meant for dancing.

• Members

I've never played Pinball Wizard as such, but I'll frequently sing the first verse while doing Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues. Usually the audience doesn't even notice, or I'll get a couple quizzacle looks at most.

That's classic...

Have you ever heard the words to Gilligan's Island sung to Staiway to Heaven?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

You guys aren't a true Who tribute band until you've played "A Quick One, While He's Away" :)

btw, I only listened to your band's cover of "Won't Get Fooled Again", but it sounded GREAT. Spot on. Do you have someone playing synth or are you using a backing track?

• Members

We actually used to do "AQOWHA" but dropped it from the set when we changed bass players (we want to bring it back, but it doesn't seem to go over really well, go figure...)

Backing track, we're just a 4-piece. We do it the old fashioned way, drummer wears headphones like Moon did and plays to a click.

Thanks for the kind words!

• Members

Originally posted by MyBabyDaddy

Pinball Wizard doesn't qualify. Not to mention, the ending/outro always pissed me off in that tune. Always seemed weak - we never did it that way.

Yeah, even when the Who did it live, the ending was weak. Sorta like they coudnt come up with a solid idea for it.

A band I was in did it as part of a medley for a while; it was OK like that, it didnt stand on it's own very well.

Archived