Any tips for a New Year's Eve gig?

rim

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

Take a break around 11:30 and don't take another until after 1:00. Put your best material between midnight and 1. Unless you enjoy seeing half the room empty out just after midnight.

Good point. Maybe it's the bars in my area, but it's usually a struggle to play past midnight. It makes sense we should play until 1am for NYE. I need to find out when they expect us to start.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Martin

Make sure that your 'official' time is the real time. There's likely to be a television in the room, and it's no fun when you're still counting down to 'Happy New Year!" when the crowd by the TV goes wild.

Another good point. We've never played at this bar so good idea to check for a TV and follow it.

• Members

Don't get so drunk you can't play. It sounds obvious, but who knows? Had a guitarist in a band of mine pass out while playing late in the evening. Be a pro.

If you're getting paid the door, have a buddy keep track of the door to make sure you're not getting screwed out of money.

• Members

Staying sober enough is definitely gonna be the biggest challenge. ;)

I'm not sure we're gonna get paid to be honest and it's not a major concern. It's partly a favor to the singer's brother-in-law who owns the bar in Philly, but mostly so the singer's dad (who's getting up in years) can see his "little girl" perform in her band.

• Members

We worked up a rock and roll version of Auld Lang Syne that goes over pretty well. Try to get in synch with the TV if it's on. Be careful with the crowd -- you'll get more drunks than usual.

If you let anyone on the stage to sing, expect a long line of other drunk-ass karaoke singin' wannabes. As damage control. get 'em all up there at once and get it over with.

Keep tambourines and other percussion toys away from the edge of the stage.

Play your strongest set from 11:30 to 1AM -- We usually do (3) 60-70 minute sets with 20 - 25 minute breaks, but for New Year's Eve we'll go:

9:30 - 10:15 (45 min)

10:30 - 11:15 (45 min)

11:30 - 1 (90 min)

1:15 - 2 (45)

Talk over the timing, the breaks and the tempo with the club owner or manager. The place we're playing this year is serving a breakfast buffet at 1, so we'll mingle, then play mostly mellow stuff for the last set.

• Members

Originally posted by rim

Good point. Maybe it's the bars in my area, but it's usually a struggle to play past midnight. It makes sense we should play until 1am for NYE. I need to find out when they expect us to start.

Oh...you'll have a captive audience until midnight all right. That's the whole idea behind New Year's Eve...people want to ring in the new year in a crowded loud bar. After midnight...that's when they decide whether to stay or leave. That's when your job really begins. Hence the suggestions from scafeets and myself.

This is assuming that it's a healthy bar with regular clientele that show up to begin with of course.

• Members

Man, we've been thinking of doing a U2 cover. Unfortunately, I don't think we have time to learn a new song (holiday travels and all).

That would've been sweet.

---------------

It turns out there will be a DJ, too. The bar manager wants us to do two sets but hasn't made up his mind when they will occur.

It looks like it's gonna be a "go with the flow" gig. Wouldn't be the first time. :)

• Members

Don't forget your fireworks show if permitted that's what we're doing really helps to bang in the New Year, and I agree get all the drunks at one time, and stand next to the hot babe for the kiss, and another ideal I seen this before, put the mistletoe on your crotch then get a kiss.:)

Archived