Gig's not lookin too good

• Members

I have a gig tommorrow and it isn't lookin good at all.

A little back story. My friends band have been going for a while and have a good local following. They've had quite a few gigs and at one of these they were booked to do this gig tommorrow.

So this was set up a while ago, then they found out their guitarist can't make it, so they got someone else and gave him their cd to learn, no big deal.

A week before the gig at the last band practice before the gig, the new guitarist doesn't turn up, no contact with him.

This is where I come in. I know a few of their songs so I stepped up and said I'd do it.

Here's the kicker. I just realised that we will be playing a festival for about 500 or more people,I've never even had a practice with these guys so the first time I play with them is on stage, the weather forcast is rain, they are a crazy band and asked me to dance around aswell but over the past two days i have developed a stabbing pain in my left bicep when I move it to much or dance around and I have never even worked with the amps at all so have no idea what i'm in for.

Am i screwed?

p.s. Does anyone have any idea about the arm pain. It feels like a stabbing pain in a certain point in my arm (inside of my bicep) it also feels like it is burning when it hurts aswell.

• Members

Originally posted by The NeonSoul

I have a gig tommorrow and it isn't lookin good at all.

A little back story. My friends band have been going for a while and have a good local following. They've had quite a few gigs and at one of these they were booked to do this gig tommorrow.

So this was set up a while ago, then they found out their guitarist can't make it, so they got someone else and gave him their cd to learn, no big deal.

A week before the gig at the last band practice before the gig, the new guitarist doesn't turn up, no contact with him.

This is where I come in. I know a few of their songs so I stepped up and said I'd do it.

Here's the kicker. I just realised that we will be playing a festival for about 500 or more people,I've never even had a practice with these guys so the first time I play with them is on stage, the weather forcast is rain, they are a crazy band and asked me to dance around aswell but over the past two days i have developed a stabbing pain in my left bicep when I move it to much or dance around and I have never even worked with the amps at all so have no idea what i'm in for.

Am i screwed?

p.s. Does anyone have any idea about the arm pain. It feels like a stabbing pain in a certain point in my arm (inside of my bicep) it also feels like it is burning when it hurts aswell.

Sounds like you may have a torn muscle or a pulled tendon. These things take weeks to heal, generally.

Tell these cheese nozzles that if you're filling in at the last minute, they ought to try being grateful that you're there at all, cut you some slack, and to STFU or find someone else.

Frankly, from what you've said, these guys sound like disorganized pinheads who are so desperate to get onstage that they'll risk blowing ass in front of 500 people rather than wait until they have their {censored} together.

Me, I'd run. Better to cancel (all they have to say is there was a family emergency with one of the band members-it happens all the time) and let the other bands play longer or get a replacement, than to get up an damage their rep by being unrehearsed. I'm surprised they don't understand that.

On second thought, I guess I'm not.

• Members

Aren't vertebrae in your back? Can that affect your arm?

Yes. Every nerve in your body below your head runs from your brain stem through your spine.

And finnally how can I get rid of it before tommorrow 1pm?

You likely can't. But you might ease it by applying fairly high heat for 15 minutes before you play, stretching it and working it a little bit, playing, and icing right after you're done.

• Members

Nerves to the arms come out from the spinal cord through the vertebrae. I have the same thing, so that is why I am guessing that is your problem. Sometimes an anti-inflammatory medicine will help. If it persists, definitely see a doctor.

• Members

Just so you know you're not alone - one of my old bands is having a reunion in mid August. None of us live near each other, and we're going to have *one* rehearsal before we do 2 big weekend gigs, each 4 hrs long.

Should be fun!

• Members

It sounds like a little Vitamin V will fix the whole problem. You won't be in pain, and you won't care how you sound. That's the sort term solution.

I love it when guys are yelling out the chords in the middle of the song. My favorite?

BRIIIIIDGE!!!

• Members

Medical issues aside (I'll leave to those in the know), I've one played a show with a band without a single practice before (hard to schedule when you're 500kms apart). It was a blast ;)

As long as everyone knows their part.

It's quite scary of course, but damn fun.

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

Yes. Every nerve in your body below your head runs from your brain stem through your spine.

You likely can't. But you might ease it by applying fairly high heat for 15 minutes before you play, stretching it and working it a little bit, playing, and icing right after you're done.

A trip to the chiropractor would go along way to fixin you up ,,,, the first visit will involve exrays... so you are going to spend some bucks. I trip to your doctor and some muscle relaxers may help to ....... rat

• Moderators

Am i screwed?

Just remember, no matter how much you make a fool out of yourself on stage, there are two things you can rely on for comfort:

(1) The sun will still rise tomorrow morning,

(2) A few days later, no one will care about what happened but you.

It's all only little notes in the air, man. :)

Terry D.

• Moderators

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Just remember, no matter how much you make a fool out of yourself on stage, there are two things you can rely on for comfort:

(1) The sun will still rise tomorrow morning,

(2) A few days later, no one will care about what happened but you.

It's all only little notes in the air, man.
:)

Terry D.

what about the video?:eek:

:D

• Members

sounds like an anxiety attack.

and rightfully so, because you sound totally screwed to me.

here's an idea though -- get (or pretend to get) TOTALLY RIPPED so at least you have an excuse to sound bad. But remember, in your RIPPED state, you will sound at least 20 tiimes as awesome to yourself, and that's what counts anyway...

right?

Archived