A different take: Covers vs. Originals (or "cool" covers) at a bad gig!

New Trail

• Members

We had a bad weekend at the bar we play a lot. Our setlist consists of normal bar dance music that usually works (and most bands hate playing). But this weekend for some reason the crowd hardly danced, and came and went a lot over the two nights, and we never did have a full house. My point is that despite all of the debate in the other covers vs. originals thread, it's got to be worse playing "Mustang Sally" and the like to an empty house, since you're trying to please the crowd by playing what you know works, and its still not. It was miserable, the covers didn't work, and we didn't have anything else to even try or fall back on.

• Members

I've been sitting here trying to think of a cool smart-alleck comment to throw at you , but I can't. So I was thinking about your question instead.

I think he crux of your statement is:

it's got to be worse playing "Mustang Sally" and the like to an empty house, since you're trying to please the crowd by playing what you know works, and its still not.

No matter what you play: covers, cool covers, cheeze, originals, whatever...if you don't have a room full or at least a dozen that are into it, it's painful.

Even with originals. I mean it's really cool to play your own songs once or twice you can ride that thrill alone. Or some piece of really cool music that is challenging. But a band plays their songs sooooo much (covers or otherwise) that after a while if you don't find an audience it is painful.

• Members

Try to think about it like it's a paid practice, instead of a practice you pay for. It's a chance to try new material and get used to another room/another sound system.

It happens to the best of us sometimes.

Just getting up there and playing will make you get a lot better.

• Members

Crossways' comment is right one - if you're a dance band that's playing to a room full of guys, or are playing to room with no traffic - there's little you're going to do to turn the night around. That said, if you and your band mates can't generate a little energy amongst yourselves - you're going to take what was already a {censored}ty night and totally crater. Once you're able to generate energy in your own right (without having to rely on audience feedback) - you'll be amazed at how you'll be able to really turn a place on it's head when you've got a crowd to work with.

Find a way to have fun with your band mates - and the rest of the bull{censored} will take care of itself.

• Members

......since you're trying to please the crowd by playing what you know works, and its still not.....

IMHO, This is a complacency trap a lot of bands fall into: theres a lot of other songs out there besides Mustang Sally, Brick House, Rolling Stones, CCR, Takin Care Of Business, Skynyrd, "Change in my pocket going jing-a-ling-a-ling", that a lot of bands do not cover..... Try something different.......

+1 to SpaceNorman's comment. Live music is about salesmanship - How well you can sell what you do.

• Members

Or (and I am not making accusations or being a wiseguy)

sometimes we have to realize that our band chemistry maybe just isn't there. Being a great musician doesn't mean people will be "into" your band, even if you play the right songs.

Our drummer was the only thing that people were coming to our shows for, as much as I hate to admit it.

He had no work ethic, his drumming was showy and couldn't keep solid time. Yet, after EVERY show the first thing people said was "DUDE! Your drummer is killer!!" :freak::mad:

He had that mysterious "X" factor that made him extremely entertaining.

As good of a singer/songwriter as I feel I am, and as good of a guitarist that I know ours was...didn't matter.

• Members

The other forumites who have posted are right. Sometimes a bad night happens. You can't let it get you down. However, you can take stock of what you feel you did right and what you could change. Maybe you need to look at adding a couple new songs that haven't been played by everybody and their dog. Something new and exciting. Perhaps, you need to freshen up your live show a bit or change up the order. Only you can discover this by looking at what you did that night that you are happy with. The cover bands that I remember people dancing to were entertaining as well as smoking hot.

As spacenorman says you also need to be sure that it is exciting for yourselves as well. Yes you are there to entertain and its not a bad idea to find out if there are other songs people want to hear as Mr Songwriter suggests, but if you look like you are having a blast then everyone wants to join the party. :love:

Otherwise, you just put head down and keep rockin'.:D

• Members

My old band once, without thinking, took a gig in a college town (Davis, Ca) over the summer, on a thursday night. Now, while classes are in session, Thursday nights were a great night to play Davis. You know students, they'll do anything to rig their schedule so they can have a 3 day weekend. So the place could be packed. This night, in July, was not.

It was only a 2 band show, so we were planning on fairly long sets anyway. But when we get there, the "openers" were already set up, it was about 8ish, and the place was dead. The whole night there weren't more than a dozen people in the place. It was one of the best shows we've ever played, fun-wise, and musically. Once we realized the few people in there were not listening or paying attention at all, it became Extended Jam Night. :)

We stretched songs out, 3-4 minute guitar solos, feedback battles, Fun With Delay Pedals, playing obscure covers halfway through because none of us knew the bridge, it was awesome. I think we played over 2 hours. The bartender was enjoying it, and the owner wasn't there, so nobody ever bothered to tell us when our set was up.

It was a total financial failure, I think we got $20 and free beers, but it remains one of my favorite shows we ever played.

• Members

That happens, and to be honest if you are a cover band, you need to cover all aspects of music. Most guys aren't gonna wanna hear dance songs. So cover some Pantera, or Metallica or Alice, Soundgarden, Disturbed. If it is just a room full of girls..... well then you are pretty lucky then ain't ya.

But it happens sometimes, you get the good shows and the bad shows and you learn how to adapt to both.

• Members

play what you really love to play!!! period! if you love playin it -covers or originals - chances are that it's good music and your playin it with enthusiasm .... and the 4 people in the audience will like it too! slow nights suck but your jammin and probobly drinkin on someone elses dime and at the end of the night someone gives you a couple of bucks (hopefully!!!) where's the down side ???

• Members

You are absolutely right.

It definitely sucks in both cases but it would be much better if you are playing an original that you love to play. When you learn songs you despise only because you want to please the crowd... then there is no crowd... that SUCKS! I've been there. Nothing worse than filling your setlist with dancable, crowd interactive, type songs and then play them for a dead bar. Oh.

• Members

It doesn't matter what you play when you have a less than crowded room. Playing stuff that you really enjoy helps a little, but you still need to have your game on. You never know who might walk in or who might already be there.

Things that I've found that helps

1. Have fun - make a bad situation better. Cut up tell each other jokes.

2. Put on your I don't really care face and play for yourself

3. Experiment with dynamics in the song

4. Drink and have fun, but don't over do it. You can kill the fun by going over board.

5. Take a break, and talk bizness with the band.

6. Showboat and have fun.

I've found that these have helped me through many a bad night. Some have helped with taking songs in a new direction. New stage moves and banter, and even going overboard on every once in a while, but as they say. The show must go on.

• Members

It doesn't matter what you play when you have a less than crowded room. Playing stuff that you really enjoy helps a little, but you still need to have your game on. You never know who might walk in or who might already be there.

Things that I've found that helps

1. Have fun - make a bad situation better. Cut up tell each other jokes.

2. Put on your I don't really care face and play for yourself

3. Experiment with dynamics in the song

4. Drink and have fun, but don't over do it. You can kill the fun by going over board.

5. Take a break, and talk bizness with the band.

6. Showboat and have fun.

I've found that these have helped me through many a bad night. Some have helped with taking songs in a new direction. New stage moves and banter, and even going overboard on every once in a while, but as they say. The show must go on.

Wow! :thu: That's one of the most refreshing points-of-view that I've seen in quite a long time. Every now and then I find that I'm taking my coverband/ frontman position way too seriously. For me, it really is all about "letting my hair down" (although I have almost none) and letting the music "release" me from my everyday grind. I'm part of the geezer brigade, so I'm very comfortable with the fact that the stardom ship has sailed, but I still get worked up when a small/disinterested crowd rewards my efforts with silence and/or indifference.

So I can look at this list and remind myself to stop obsessing about things and have fun.

Archived