2 bassists

Shart

• Moderators

I'm not in one, but it's been done.

Ned's Atomic Dustbin comes to mind. They would have one guy do the lower stuff and another play melody lines higher up.

Also, guitarist/singer Robert Smith of the Cure often plays melodies and sometimes even chords on a Fender 6-string bass.

• Members

Seems like there was a band featured in Guitar player or one of those mags that consisted of three bassists and a drummer.

They talked about the way they arranged parts so as to make it work.

It sounded like two bands were a bassist short to me...lol

• Members

I worked with a band WAY long time ago that the instrumentation was bass, piccolo bass, drums, percussion, and singer. NO guitard! It was great, still to this day one of my favorite bands. Music was kinda upbeat punk/dance/wave sort of thing - loved it.

Then I was in a garage/punk sort of band a couple years back that already had a bassist when I started playing with them. He was going to be leaving but never did so we just kept it that way. They were guitar/bass/drums and I played regular bass sometimes, piccolo bass sometimes, and the rest of the time a hybrid instrument I made that was kind of a cross between an 8 string bass and an irish bouzouki (solid body electric).

A couple of other "sort of's" to check out:

Rush & Max Webster teaming up on the song "Battle Scar" - really cool bass duo intro.

Bill Laswell & Peter Brotzman's Low Life - bass and bass saxophone in a way avant/jazz/noise/funk/skronk thing that's scary and cool.

Kip Hanrahan's "A Few Short Notes from the End Run" with a stunning trio of bassists (Jack Bruce, Steve Swallow, Andy Gonzalez) just killing it, especially on the song Two Still in Half Light.

There are others of course.

• Members

James Brown's touring band had 2 bassists up until his passing late last year.

The original incarnation of Morphine (in 1991) had two bassists.

Phil Spector used two (and sometimes three) bassists for his wall of sound productions. So did the Beach boys records and many early '60's hits had an electric and an upright.

• Members

theres one local band that does it, they do mainly jazz fusion stuff. IMHO its overkill. We have our keys play bass lines sometimes along with our bass player, I think thats the ticket. sounds really full but not the exact same instrument playing the same lines..

• Members

Thanks for the info everyone. We were thinking about joining forces with another guitarist and bassist. The bass players aren't spectacular and I have feeling that it might turn into mud music. Worth trying out I guess.

• Members

Our band has two bass players. (Well remembered, Squid.) I know of a couple others - the Schla La Las (also all-girl) and Tom Vek (another UK indie artist, check out the song C-C (You Set The Fire In Me) occasionally uses two basses on his songs. Then there are all-bass bands like Big Bottom (ex-Band of Susans) and Rothko.

• Members

Not 2 bass players playing the same song, but a local band I know has both a male and female vocalist, and they switch off playing bass (which they're also both pretty good at) whenever the other one is singing. Cool way to cover as many songs as possible.

Archived