Best tribute band you've seen or heard of?

stegre

• Members

Frontiers is a local Journey tribute band. Their singer, Jeremy Hunnsicker, is apparently the new singer of the real Journey. That's how good they are/were. :thu:

Web page-http://www.journeytributeband.com/

Some old video-

http://www.dropshots.com/morristk#date/2003-03-23/09:35:26

http://www.dropshots.com/morristk#date/2003-02-17/04:53:08

http://www.dropshots.com/morristk#date/2003-03-23/10:10:10

• Members

I've never seen them, but Dark Star Orchestra will pick a specific Grateful Dead show (i.e. Red Rocks July 14, 1992) note for note, flubs and all, and duplicate it exactly. My Dead head friends have seen them a few times and say they're great.

• Members

personally ones i've seen: non jovi (3 guesses who they were meant to be)

van heilen (2 guesses on that one)

i've seen a pretty good beatles one too but can't think of many more.

i dunno about stateside but there's some ridiculously huge tribute bands in the UK and europe.

there's the bootleg beatles who charge

• Members

currently, Zoso (Led Zeppelin tribute) is incredible, looking and sounding like the band - they come through Charlotte about 4 times a year, and I try to make it each time - definitely check them out - just awesome - did an extended acoustic set once that made us speechless - Also ....

About 10 or so years ago, the symphony was on strike, and The Spongetones invited a number of symphony players to play along with them and do a Beatles tribute night (The Spongetones are already a very Beatles sounding band) - anyway, it was incredible, with lots of orchestra musicians on stage with them, the concert was very memorable - Jamie Hoover, if you are lurking, it was great!

• Members

Atomic Punks - IS Van Halen ca. 1980. Ralph Saenz is a better DLR than DLR himself.

Bonfire - IS AC/DC ca. 1977. The singer is so much like Bon Scott it's scary. Incredible.

Which One's Pink - Killer Pink Floyd tribute.

• Members

I've seen three Beatles tribute acts and one Johnny Cash act. I still think the first Beatles tribute act I saw was the best (Beatlemania, circa summer of '95). The guy playing John performed all the keyboard and orchestral parts on one keyboard split into different zones. He was working his ass off on that one! They even played the mistakes in "Day Tripper" (where the guitar and bass drop out at different times). That was so cool! Their Paul was a righty, so that was slightly disappointing, but he did look somewhat like him so that made up for it. :p

• Members

This is a great thread!

I suppose if the tribute band is out there, that must mean it's okay with the originals, right? Or is it just that there's too many out there for them to stop them all? Do they have to pay anything at all in order to play the music?

• Members

This is a great thread!

I suppose if the tribute band is out there, that must mean it's okay with the originals, right? Or is it just that there's too many out there for them to stop them all? Do they have to pay anything at all in order to play the music?

Some bands despise tribute acts. The Beatles have stated at various times that they wish people would just make their own way and write their own stuff, rather than 'ape' what somebody else made. Ringo Starr in particular said that they (Beatles) tried hard to NOT do what everyone else was doing, which is why their music stood out from the times. He also said it was fine that some bands "hate" The Beatles and want to sound completely different. He said, "That's what WE were doing."

Not sure of all the details about paying bands or ASCAP as far as tribute acts go. I assume that the venue that books the tribute act takes care of the performance fees/royalties like they do for cover bands.

• Members

Two friends I played with in HS bands now play in "Sticky Fingers", a Stones tribute out of Hollywood, CA. They do "vintage sets" where they act out a certain era, and everything on the stage - gear, clothes,etc is all from that time frame. Their singer IS Mick Jagger. It's scary.

Check 'em out - http://www.rollingstoned.com (God, that domain name must be worth a fortune!)

oops - looks like they changed their name to "the Hollywood Stones"...

• Members

I saw The Australian Pink Floyd on TV and I thought they were pretty damn good. They even played David Gilmour's birthday party, so I guess he approves.

+1

I've seen Northeast Zep tributes Physical Grafitti and Hindenburg (w/ Zebra member Felix Hanemann & Rat Race Choir Mark Hitt). Both bands were amazing. I've also seen The Machine-Pink Floyd Tribute many times.

But the best.... the very best by far was the Australian Pink Floyd Tribute. I've seen Floyd twice and these guys nail it. And yes! They did play David Gilmour's 50th birthday. He's given his personal endorsement.

2nd runnner up is the Genesis Tribute "The Musical Box' from Montreal. They have legal permission to use extra replica set pieces.

From their website...

Genesis has fully supported The Musical Box in every aspect. In the late nineties their former guitarist Steve Hackett joined the band in London, England at the Royal Albert Hall, playing on a special encore of "Firth of Fifth". Drummer Phil Collins joined the band in Geneva during a Lamb show in 2005. He then joined the band on drums during the encore of "The Musical Box". Peter Gabriel, meanwhile, has taken his children to a show so "they could see what their father used to do."

I'd probably vote them as #1... but I've never seen vintage Genesis live.

• Members

I saw Beatlemania a few years ago. They were so good, I went to the second show. Incredible. There was a Buddy Holly tribute band that was also amazing. There is a local Pink Floyd tribute band, "Pulse" that is as good as the real thing. We opened for them one night and we stayed for their entire set. They were awesome. Too bad we only had a handful of people at the gig.

• Members

There's a Central Ohio tribute band named "The British Invasion". They do mostly Beatles stuff with a few from The Rolling Stones, Herman's Hermits, The Hollies, etc. The Beatles could only wish they sounded as good as these guys.

JR

Archived