Does Your band have a friendly/not so friendly rival?

wheresgrant3

• Members

Nice situation. My band has two 'human jukebox' guys (the drummer and myself) who are able and willing to throw out almost any song anyone from the audience shouts out. Unfortunately the other three guys aren't able to play ANYTHING without a CD, a lyric sheet, tablature, a You Tube video of somebody else playing the song, and a week to learn it....

This was kind of the point I was trying to make in the other thread concerning the drummer with no songlist..... There are guys out there that know a billion songs, and if a lot of them are technically wrong under a scrutinizing microscope, they know how to "sell it" and trick most people into thinking its right...and on the ones I dont know, I know how to dig in, play with confidence, and listen to 'telegraphing' to anticipate changes .....

I should have never posted in that thread......it made me realize that it just may be an art that some get and some don't

• Members

This was kind of the point I was trying to make in the other thread concerning the drummer with no songlist..... There are guys out there that know a billion songs, and if a lot of them are technically wrong under a scrutinizing microscope, they know how to "sell it" and trick most people into thinking its right...and on the ones I dont know, I know how to dig in, play with confidence, and listen to 'telegraphing' to anticipate changes.....

I should have never posted in that thread......it made me realize that it just may be an art that some get and some don't

It's a pretty rare quality in most any musician--even drummers. I've auditioned a LOT of drummers over the years. Many of them have claimed to be able to just jam through an audition. I've come across only a couple who actually could. So for me, a drummer who won't learn the CD for the audition is a bad sign. Might be unfair for the rare drummer who is actually good enough to not need to do so, but how many of those drummers exist who have to answer audition calls anyway?

• Members

It's a pretty rare quality in most any musician--even drummers. I've auditioned a LOT of drummers over the years. Many of them have claimed to be able to just jam through an audition. I've come across only a couple who actually could. So for me, a drummer who won't learn the CD for the audition is a bad sign. Might be unfair for the rare drummer who is actually good enough to not need to do so, but how many of those drummers exist who have to answer audition calls anyway?

True

• Members

So for me, a drummer who won't learn the CD for the audition is a bad sign.

Might be unfair for the rare drummer who is actually good enough to not need to do so, but how many of those drummers exist who have to answer audition calls anyway?

The thing that strikes me about this is why would the drummer feel the need to tell the auditioner that he won't listen to any of the tunes?

Ultimately no one in the band really cares whether you spent hours with the material or zero time at all IF you can play appropriate, solid and tasteful parts.

IN our band no one talks about this at all really, we just plug in and play.

I have no idea how much or little time the guys have spent; but they are all familiar with the tunes and it is rare that we can't at least fake our way through the newer stuff.

• Members

Tons of competiton here in Chi-Town and we're all pretty friendly with each other as there's plenty of work to go around.

Yup, likewise. At our age, we're all doing this mostly for fun and some pocket money, so we actually help each other get gigs, and we're friends with pretty much all the bands around here.

Archived