Turned down a chance to play in an '80s cover band

6StringSling

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What it comes down to ,, is that we got all kinds on here ,,,we got pros, used to be's , wanna be's, Some that just suck and think they are rockstars, and everything inbetween. We dont need to just get along. Its cold, its snowing, My right hand hurts more than my left , and they are going to cut on my left hand the end of the month. I could bite the head off a bunny. I guess I will go take too long to work back up a song that I knew 37 years ago ,,,,lol. rat

lol, thats great!

• Members

From page 9...

"You want it specific? I had an accident three years ago and my pick hand was partially crushed by a 2000 pound battery and half my ring finger was nearly torn off. It took about 2 years before I could play with any consistency without dropping the pick. And it's not something that any tack like Gorilla Snot can help with - there's some damage (permanent or not I don't know - it hasn't improved in the last year so I assume it's permanent) and at times I have to really concentrate to keep enough pressure between my thumb and index finger."

As I stated a few posts up, if we'd known about that earlier, I suspect this thread would've been much more civilized.

So what would you have me do? Now you know about it. But what about anyone who never saw/read this thread? Any time in the future that I ever make a post on these forums that concerns my playing I need to state "I had an accident some years ago and blah, blah, blah..."? Anytime I post of clip of my playing I need to preface it with "Keep in mind that I had an accident some years ago and blah, blah, blah..."?

For every person that had seen it, each additional time would be more irksome until there'd start being posts like "Dude, STFU!!! We get it - you've got a physical limitation! Just STFU and play already! Geez! WTF do you want - everyone to cry you a {censored}ing river?"

I'm not looking for sympathy about it - there are so many more people in this world who live with far greater physical limitations that for me to have to talk about or explain not being able play like I used to a few years ago because of an accident sounds less like a reason to me and more like whining; there are worse things than not being able to play like I used to. I'm just thankful I can still play at all.

• Members

Some that just suck and think they are rockstars, and everything inbetween

And that is all subjective, anyway.

I sure hope when you're playing music that you don't have those types of comparisons running through your head - I know I don't.

I just practice, try to listen to the playback and hear my weaknesses, work on those weaknesses in practice, and show up to rehearsal knowing the tunes and ready to have fun playing music that we like to play.

It's not about being able to say that we're the next "big thing" - it's about being a little better than we were last time.

Besides, what sucks today in rehearsal may go over well at gigs, or at future rehearsals. I don't even think pros compare themselves to other musicians; all we can do is compare to ourselves and try to do better than we did last time.

And at some point, that worry just has to not be there - it is what it is - we're not all trying to "take over the world" or be the next big deal - just playing some covers with good energy and fun is good enough for me.

I'm just saying it seems kinda pointless to use an armchair critic perspective in a discouraging way; sometimes the effort produces some suckage but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

In other words, it's easy to be a critic - but critics rarely if ever accomplish much as they are unwilling to take the risks....:wave:

In other words, part of being a musician is being prepared to suck, at least for a short while until the arrangement comes together.

Also don't forget that we can only control what we as individuals do - we cannot force a singer to practice during the week - we cannot force the drummer to rehearse with a metronome - we cannot force the lazy bass player to learn his part - we can't undo the singer's sore throat.

Any one of those things can be looked at as a symptom of suckage; but what do we as INDIVIDUALS do about it?

Quit the band in disgust, because things outside of our direct control are not going the way we would have it?

So ultimately, my individual contribution musically is the only thing I have real control over - I can INFLUENCE the others, but I certainly can't FORCE my way on the other members - in most cases, no one can....

I guess that's why it irks me to hear so many excuses for not being up to speed on your parts - how can that be allowed to occur and still have a good band emerge - it's just not possible.

That "good band" will have a repertoire of 5 songs and be stuck in the basement so long that it will collapse as the members quit in disgust.

Sometimes, good enough really has to be "good enough" - {censored}, or get off the pot...

• Members

So what would you have me do?

Apparently you missed this post of mine...

Look, I'm sure you don't feel the need to start every post with a detail of your issues, but it sure as hell would've saved alot of bickering in this particular thread if you hadn't been so vague and elusive. If the premise of your argument is that you turned down a band because you felt you couldn't get the songs ready in the requested time frame - that physical limitation info is some pretty pertinent stuff to leave out of the conversation. I can't give an objective opinion if I don't fully understand the situation.

All that being said, sorry to hear bout your accident. Gotta be a frustrating situation.

I'm trying to be understanding here, but you're not making it easy.

• Members

You've got to be the most contrary, stubborn excuse making dude I've come across in a long time.

Why not just do a solo act or something; you're not band material - in fact, I think I'd have to kill you if you were in my band.
:evil:

You didn't answer the question; what a shock. That's because I didn't omit anything - I was perfectly honest but instead of asking me to elaborate, you, in your infinite wisdom, decided that you knew me, knew better, and decided to voice your opinions of my work ethic.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions about what it takes to play in a band and who is or isn't band material. But that's you and your band(s). I'm sure that for every band out there that wouldn't want me, there are just as many that wouldn't want you or a bazillion other people either.

• Members

And that is all subjective, anyway.

I sure hope when you're playing music that you don't have those types of comparisons running through your head - I know I don't.

I just practice, try to listen to the playback and hear my weaknesses, work on those weaknesses in practice, and show up to rehearsal knowing the tunes and ready to have fun playing music that we like to play.

It's not about being able to say that we're the next "big thing" - it's about being a little better than we were last time.

Besides, what sucks today in rehearsal may go over well at gigs, or at future rehearsals. I don't even think pros compare themselves to other musicians; all we can do is compare to ourselves and try to do better than we did last time.

And at some point, that worry just has to not be there - it is what it is - we're not all trying to "take over the world" or be the next big deal - just playing some covers with good energy and fun is good enough for me.

I'm just saying it seems kinda pointless to use an armchair critic perspective in a discouraging way; sometimes the effort produces some suckage but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

In other words, it's easy to be a critic - but critics rarely if ever accomplish much as they are unwilling to take the risks....
:wave:

Yea it is easy to be a critic,,, you have been one for 9 fukin pages. If a guy says he cant nail 22 songs in less than 4 months.....what dog do you have in the fight. I would worry about nailing the songs on my own set list. Some guys take longer to nail a song......Its just the reality of it. Some guys are not willing to wait... they want an instant band......Oh well.....You have 8 months in your band ,,,,i think i would worry about that band ,, not some stranger on the net that has his own issues.....I havent got a band to worry about.....I got a call last weekend , about a original metal band ..... I just said thanks but no thanks..... Eeeeeeek original metal ..... yea right ,, thats just what i want.... rat

• Moderators

Here's the reason I stuck around for this.

The original post struck me as a guy wanting to play music. It's clear. He has a a passion for music and wants to do it. Hey... I'VE got a passion for it too! Fancy that. We all do. So I see a dilemma for this guy. He's not really sure if the band is what he wants. He may or may not be up to snuff or be able to pull the tunes off in the needed amount of time. Etc. Once again, there's no crime there. I do not stand in judgment.

These are all issues that musicians deal with if they want to mix with... other musicians.

Bear in mind, I'm moved by the original post. I see some of me in it. A little fear, a little avoidance. Fear of flying. Like I've said, no crime there. I haven't made fun of this plight. I UNDERSTAND this plight.

So I try to communicate the things I know after doing this way too long to admit. Hey, I'll be 50 in 2 years. I've done it awhile. I truly wanted to help. Maybe a soft kick in the rear would do it.

The OP truly does not want help. That got under my skin and it got the best of me. Who of us doesn't understand the dynamic that goes into self doubt and accomplishment. It moves me. I am sincere.

• Members

Some guys are not willing to wait... they want an instant band......

Oh well.....You have 8 months in your band ,,,,i think i would worry about that band ,, not some stranger on the net that has his own issues.....

Dude, I put in my time for this band.

if it still sucks in your view, that's not my issue. At least I am doing MY PART to do the songs JUSTICE.

If the singer tanks, or the guitarist beefs a note - how is that MY WORRY?

Everything I say is based upon my own experience and ability - you seem to think that showing up to rehearsal not knowing your parts is okay, because those that do are in a "hurry to hit the stage"?

I know what you're saying about being ready - we've got plenty of tunes that we do that aren't ready - that's why we are going to work on those tunes until they are ready.

Think how much LESS ready they would be, if I showed up NOT KNOWING MY PARTS.

That would mean that the band would not be able to rehearse that song; I'm just trying to figure out you're logic.

Even if you're the type that wants to work on the same tune over and over, as if in the recording studio - how does that work when someone doesn't know their parts?

That's what this discussion was about - and guys in working bands are all saying that they could nail most of that setlist in week or two - that includes me.

If you wanna take shots at my band or say I suck - that's cool, I can handle that but it has nothing to do with my ability to play and learn those parts, quickly.

• Members

That's what this discussion was about - and guys in working bands are all saying that they could nail most of that setlist in week or two - that includes me.

Talk is cheap. I challenged you to pick 5 songs from that list and we'd go head to head to see who could do what in a given time frame. You politely ignored the challenge which is fine - you probably don't have time for it which I completely understand.

But I started a thread for a 1 song challenge and there were no takers either. Me, I've admitted what I can and cannot do. What I see are people who talk a good story but aren't willing to back it up either.

When you say things akin to "I don't even want to play guitar - it's like my third choice and even I could do this and/or that" but won't back it up, how seriously do you expect me (or anyone else) to take you?

• Members

Dude, I put in my time for this band.

if it still sucks in your view, that's not my issue. At least I am doing MY PART to do the songs JUSTICE.

If the singer tanks, or the guitarist beefs a note - how is that MY WORRY?

Everything I say is based upon my own experience and ability - you seem to think that showing up to rehearsal not knowing your parts is okay, because those that do are in a "hurry to hit the stage"?

I know what you're saying about being ready - we've got plenty of tunes that we do that aren't ready - that's why we are going to work on those tunes until they are ready.

Think how much LESS ready they would be, if I showed up NOT KNOWING MY PARTS.

That would mean that the band would not be able to rehearse that song; I'm just trying to figure out you're logic.

Even if you're the type that wants to work on the same tune over and over, as if in the recording studio - how does that work when someone doesn't know their parts?

If you wanna take shots at my band or say I suck - that's cool, I can handle that but it has nothing to do with my ability to play and learn those parts, quickly.

Wade ,,,, its not about me ,, its not about you. Its about the guy that needs to make a decision to hook up with this metal band. My logic is you are attacking people because they dont do things like you think they should be done. On one hand you bash me because i am willing to drill on a song till its right and on the other you say you got 70 songs and some are loose as a goose. I would not slag your band......It doesnt matter to me how good you are.. It doesnt matter to me if you show up with your part ready or not. You seem to be taking alot of shots on this thread ,,,,, guy you dont have a horse in the race. Chill the fuk out. You project a personna that you show up with your parts all stage ready and if the other guy isnt ready ,,, thats his problem. Well guy I hate to inform you of this, Its the bands problem, and bands have to work together to work it out till it runs smooth. The I got mine mentality is a band wrecker for most amateur bands becuse that guys typically spends most of his time pissing and moaning about the other members. Bands are like a team of horses ,,, every member isnt equal in ability. that really has nothing to do about pulling the load up the hill. Bands that work as teams pretty well always have more success than the ones that dont. You dont seem like a team player to me from reading your posts. You may be a fine musician ,,, but teamwork doesnt seem to be your strong suit. Now get off this guys ass ....how fast he learns is his issue , not yours. rat

• Members

Talk is cheap. I challenged you to pick 5 songs from that list and we'd go head to head to see who could do what in a given time frame. You politely ignored the challenge which is fine - you probably don't have time for it which I completely understand.

But I started a thread for a 1 song challenge and there were no takers either. Me, I've admitted what I can and cannot do. What I see are people who talk a good story but aren't willing to back it up either.

When you say things akin to "I don't even want to play guitar - it's like my third choice and even I could do this and/or that" but won't back it up, how seriously do you expect me (or anyone else) to take you?

I watched this thread for the entertainment value. It has zero value outside of that, trust me.

Now you're killing the entertainment value. Facts were disclosed, and the vibe changed. People were obviously backing off as gracefully as they could and you're still biting their ass as they go.

Enjoy your music. Don't make a contest out of it.

• Members

Facts were disclosed, and the vibe changed. People were obviously backing off as gracefully as they could and you're still biting their ass as they go.

I don't think I'm biting anyone's ass. I wouldn't say that Wade is backing off gracefully - he ran his mouth and is continuing to run it. I called him on it once before and I'm calling him on it again; if he doesn't want to man up, fine by me.

• Members

Talk is cheap. I challenged you to pick 5 songs from that list and we'd go head to head to see who could do what in a given time frame.

You are challenging me - I must have missed that????

Look man - those 5 songs I already know - I play em every week WITH MY BAND.

Running my mouth? Dude, you're one {censored}ed up cat - okay?

I was trying to be sympathetic, but like Lee I'm at wits end with you - so let's just drop this little discourse right now okay?

I've got nothing to prove to you - you are the one that came up short of expected requirements - you're the one sitting at home, while I'll be jamming with the band tonight.

Man up? whatever - go ahead and go to the soundclick for rehearsal recordings if that's what you wanna do.

Go ahead and criticize what you hear, and tell me how you can do better - I could use the laugh cuz at the end of the day, it's you that are sitting on the sidelines doing nothing but making excuses.

• Members

Well guy I hate to inform you of this, Its the bands problem, and bands have to work together to work it out till it runs smooth.

Exactly - you are making my point for me.

When people don't do their homework, it is the band's problem - absolutely - we agree.

• Members

You are challenging me - I must have missed that????

Here's a post you made:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showpost.php?p=25838123&postcount=82

Here's my response:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showpost.php?p=25848947&postcount=94

Here's yours:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showpost.php?p=25850687&postcount=96

You quoted from my post where you were called out so you didn't miss anything - you ignored it. In fact, in another post, you commented on Lee's post about the thread becoming a pissing contest which he made because of my post where I called you out.

• Members

:deadhorse:

Just a big pissing match.
:eek:

So what if it is? The guy calls me a tool, claims he can do what I can't then "pretends" he doesn't know he was called out on it to put up or shut up?

At least I can admit my limitations - I don't have to resort to lying bull{censored} on a message board to try and impress people with how great of a musician I am.

I'm done with it. I called him out, he "must have missed it" which is his right. You can all draw your own conclusions.

• Members

Here's a post you made:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showpost.php?p=25838123&postcount=82

Here's my response:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showpost.php?p=25848947&postcount=94

Here's yours:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showpost.php?p=25850687&postcount=96

Whatever man.

Here's some guitar work I did in the last band I was in, in the spirit of this stupid ass pissing contest (I played 2nd guitar in that band)

Follow my SoundClick link for rehearsal recordings of my current band.

I thought the whole point was to provide a challenge to YOU to see if you were up to learning 5 tunes in a short time - now you wanna be a dickhead about it and it's just ridiculous.

I'm in a band dude - we have 4 sets of material - and we didn't take forever to work it up either.

But who {censored}iing cares - this is really ridiculous man. make the music you wanna make - do what you wanna do, no one's stopping you.

My old band, with me on 2nd guitar:

And hey - there's a solo on this link here called "panama solo" - our guitarist brought the song "Panama" to the table the next week and played this lead.

Let's hear you do that, hotshot - yeah, didn't think so. How's that for a pissing contest?

Oh well I''m outta here - I've got a band rehearsal to go to - See ya at the gig, hope you can make it out. Don't forget to tip the bartender :wave::lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=671353

• Members

Dude, honestly, this has turned into some big fight about who's better, who has the work ethic, whatever. But look toward the front of the thread, and there's awesome advice that you should damn well take, because it'll help you with bands if you want to play in one.

The biggest thing is: have the confidence to walk in to an audition. Let's just assume you like the setlist and want in on this band. So the guy says in his last email he wants it exact and you should know the songs. So, reason with him. "Look, I don't know all of these songs, let's jam on these 7 of them next week." If he refuses that and wants you to know them all in a week, fine, his expectations might be too high for you, leave it at that. Go back to craigslist, find another band - I think most bands would be more relaxed and start out with 5-7 songs frmo the set.

Once you get the audition set up, learn the 7 songs to the best of your ability. That doesn't necessarily mean "stage ready" to your standard of stage ready. The guy did not say they were ready to gig in the emails, so for all you know, this band might all know their parts individually, but not be tight as a unit yet. If you go in confident, do the songs pretty damn well but not exact, you might just get the gig. Or maybe not, but there's no shame in that, you just start the process over back at the craigslist.

Once a band has all of its members, it usually takes at least a couple months (in my experience) rehearsing as a unit before the band is tight enough for the stage. So that gives you that time you wanted to work the songs up to your stage-ready standard, and viola, you're in a band having a fun time.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of the posts before the thread degenerated were trying to point you in that direction.

• Members

Dude, honestly, this has turned into some big fight about who's better, who has the work ethic, whatever.

But look toward the front of the thread, and there's awesome advice that you should damn well take, because it'll help you with bands if you want to play in one.

Good luck - we all said the same thing and got nothing but a pile of stupid excuses, as if we should all slow down and just do things HIS way.

The pissing match is just stupid, isn't it?

It takes far more than musical ability to get and keep a band together - but he wants to focus on that as if it will help the next time around.

:blah::deadhorse:

• Members

Good luck - we all said the same thing and got nothing but a pile of stupid excuses, as if we should all slow down and just do things HIS way.

The pissing match is just stupid, isn't it?

It takes far more than musical ability to get and keep a band together - but he wants to focus on that as if it will help the next time around.

:blah::deadhorse:

Ha, I know it's been said. Just thought I might be able to consolidate a lot of posts worth of advice into one storyline and maybe it would be more clear to guy. Besides, I'm at work and typing that out killed a couple of minutes. :)

Archived