Possible CTS or RSI: I'm not playing for awhile...

corbind

• Members

It's been weird lately. I've had to NOT played guitar for awhile now

(maybe 10 days). Instead of my guitar/strap sitting in a hanger on my

wall, it's been in the hard case for days. I'm kinda scared my days of

playing are over. Even the beer doesn't even mask the pain I

have in my fretting wrist like it used to. Pain is in the wrist bone on

outside of hand.

I've had problems for about 2 years now (been playing almost 6). But

it's gotten to the point I believe I've done some damage playing when

I shoudn't have. I've played every day (even if a little bit) pretty

much since I started unless I was sick or out of town.

I kinda question what I've done wrong in that there are many guitar

players, including you guys, who have played for 20-30 years and are

still going. I don't think I wear the guitar too low nor my posture too

crazy. But maybe the repetitive use of chords has gotten to me. As

well as using the keyboard (computer, that is) daily. At least the keyboard is ergonomic/split.

Still just shaking my head wondering what I've done wrong compared to

others. I'll be very, very sad if I can't play guitar anymore.

Have any of you guys had CTS or other problems with your fretting

wrist in your playing guitar or bass? I'm really worried. I have no

health insurance and no way to assess it. At the last band practice played

but told them "I don't know how long I can play." At the next one I

did not even bring any gear. I just sat there listening. Was nice to

hear the band, but sucked not playing. I emailed everyone I'd likely

not be playing guitar again until March or so unless my wrist feels

better.

Sorry for the lament. I'm just very sad about it all and wondering

how to fix it. It even hurts to turn a door knob with my left hand.

Heck, I even played one of the other guitar players guitar. It's a

lefty. I tried that a few nights and it reminded me of when I first started

playing. I could not finger the chords with my right hand and strum

lefty worth a crap. But I tried. I thought about trying to play lefty

but I don't want to go through all that relearning.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. :thu:

• Members

In 1999 -2001 I was playing a lot of solo acoustic gigs: 3.5 - 4 hours a night, doubling up most weekends.

I started waking up in the middle of the night (after a gig) with my left hand POUNDING. It felt like someone was whacking it with a hammer. So I began icing it for 30-40 minutes after each gig, which helped some, but I couldn't shake the soreness in my palm & numbness in my fingers.

Turns out I had CTS which was caused by a number of factors, all putting pressure on the nerve running through the bottom of my palm: Guitar playing, cycling, weight lifting, improper keyboard technique. All of these were contributing factors.

Here is what I did to fix it:

1) Rest. I took 6 weeks off from gigging and didn't play at all for a couple of weeks. Ditto cycling & lifting.

2) I got on some anti-inflammatory medication. I recommend seeing a doctor before starting any new meds. If the directions say "take with food", DO IT. Some of these can screw up your stomach bad.

3) Corrected my keyboarding technique. Your wrists should be as high as your hands. Resting your palms on the base of the keyboard is bad. Get a wrist prop, arms on your chair, or wrist braces to keep them straight.

4) Raised my guitar. My strap is adjusted short AND has a knot in it. This keeps my left wrist at a comfortable angle.

5) Got an "old man" bike. More upright posture keeps the weight off my hands.

6) Warm up & stretch before gigs/rehearsals like your playing depends on it. It might.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Members

It's been weird lately. I've had to NOT played guitar for many days now

(maybe 10 days). Instead of my guitar/strap sitting in a hanger on my

wall, it's been in the hard case for days. I'm kinda scared my days of

playing guitar are over. Even the beer doesn't even mask the pain I

have in my fretting wrist like it used to. Pain is in the wrist bone on

outside of hand.

I've had problems for about 2 years now (been playing almost 6 total). But

it's gotten to the point I believe I've done some damage playing when

I shoudn't have. I've played every day (even if a little bit) pretty

much since I started unless I was sick or out of town. So not touched

it maybe 7 days?

I kinda question what I've done wrong in that there are many guitar

players, including you guys, who have played for 20-30 years and are

still going. I don't think I wear the guitar too low nor my posture too

crazy. But maybe the repetitive use of chords has gotten to me. As

well as using the keyboard (computer, that is) daily.

Still just shaking my head wondering what I've done wrong compared to

others. I'll be very, very sad if I can't play guitar anymore. I'm

not so good, but it's something I've loved to do since '02.

Have any of you guys had CTS or other problems with your fretting

wrist in your playing guitar or bass? I'm really worried. I have no

health insurance and no way to assess it. At the last band practice played

but told them "I don't know how long I can play." At the next one I

did not even bring any gear. I just sat there listening. Was nice to

hear the band, but sucked not playing. I emailed everyone I'd likely

not be playing guitar again until March or so unless my wrist feels

better.

So at home I've been trying to sing to songs (yea, it sounds like

----) but I have to do something. I've thought about buying a keyboard

(not computer) and trying to learn it with my right hand in this hiatus.

God, I can't believe I've f'ed up so much to damage my wrist. You

guys have not had damage so that's a sure sign I've gone down a bad path

and that's not cool.

Sorry for the lament. I'm just very sad about it all and wondering

how to fix it. It even hurts to turn a door knob with my left hand.

Heck, I even played one of the other guitar players guitar. It's a

lefty. I tried that a few nights and it reminded me of when I first started

playing. I could not finger the chords with my right hand and strum

lefty worth a crap. But I tried. I thought about trying to play lefty

but I don't want to go through all that relearning.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.
:thu:

Typing on computers is your worst enemy for CTS

• Members

Rhat is correct.

I would look at your keyboard posture and habits.

One thing I know to avoid that is a common mistake, is typing too forcefully, with wrist and arm motion.

If you touch type with arms stationary, wrists mostly straight, your fingers should be the only thing moving, and with the minimal touch required.

Get a microsoft natural keyboard, or a separate wrist support pad to keep your typing wrists from pronating (or supinating).

I have a career in I.T. - CTS/RSI can be career-ending so I have tried to educate myself as much as possible. So far so good (knock on wood), though I do have a little tennis elbow :mad:

And see a doctor of course....

• Members

Hi Corbind, I'm a 20-30 year guy ( actually longer) and began having freeze-ups in my left arm and hand. Usually in a high neck position doing a lot of fingering and pressure on the board would set it off. CTS! The first time it happened, I was playing a cover song ( Memphis, Lonnie Mack version I think) when it felt like the the entire arm ligaments froze and my fingers we're frozen, locked in the clutched position. Not fun. Painful. I couldn't play. I waved my hand and arm around, did wrist swivels and... well you get the idea. I was almost good to go for the next set.

I saw a massage therapist that week that my wife ( keyboard/vocals) had been raving about who showed me a bunch of wrist, arm extensions, exercises etc. which strained, then relaxed the problem muscles/ligaments in that arm.

Kind of like extend your left arm straight, then move you hand down , hold then swivel it in the opposite direction. Then straight arm like your pushing on a door and swivel the hand, and hold. No freeze-ups or cramps for a year now. Can't say whether this is your problem but, gee, these exercise sure loosen up the wrist/hand/arm and, most important, let me play again.

You can't escape the playing part, your wrist/hand will always go into familiar positions. You will always hold the neck where it's working for you and the music. So maybe a little preventitive workout before might ease the pain.

Good luck, buddy.

• Members

Here's something I learned back when I had my very first bout of repetitive-motion-induced tendonitis...

YOU GO TO THE FREAKIN' DOCTOR!!!

He gave me a cortisone shot to tide me over until the perscription for prednisone and an ati-inflammatory (Mobic), got me a thumb spica (an immobilizing splint/wrap) for use when I was working or driving, and told me when I was at home to elevate my wrist on a pillow, and lay a bag of frozen peas upon my wrist for 30 minutes at two-hour intervals.

I went from being unable to pull my pants up (much less operate the zipper), and feeling like a burning knife was being jabbed into my wrist, to total relief in about 72 hours.

• Members

Have it checked out. I had some serious pain in my right wrist many years ago. After seeing three different doctors the last guy figured out I had a cyst. They removed the cyst and everything is fine now.

Max

It will be interesting if that's it. Actually, I don't care what it is as long as it subsides eventually.

• Members

Typing on computers is your worst enemy for CTS

Corrected that in that I'm only typing righty since the inital post (only it takes me WAY longer to type). And, for what it's worth, I ONLY type on Microsoft natural split keyboards. That's been for 6 years now! Think if I didn't do that. Yikes!

• Members

Rhat is correct.

I would look at your keyboard posture and habits.

One thing I know to avoid that is a common mistake, is typing too forcefully, with wrist and arm motion.

If you touch type with arms stationary, wrists mostly straight, your fingers should be the only thing moving, and with the minimal touch required.

Get a microsoft natural keyboard, or a separate wrist support pad to keep your typing wrists from pronating (or supinating).

I have a career in I.T. - CTS/RSI can be career-ending so I have tried to educate myself as much as possible. So far so good (knock on wood), though I do have a little tennis elbow
:mad:

And see a doctor of course....

When I type, my hands float above the keyboard (not wrest palms on base of keyboard).

My guitar is worn at a decent height and angled 45 degrees. Because of my pain, I may raise shorten my guitar strap.

• Members

Here's something I learned back when I had my very first bout of repetitive-motion-induced tendonitis...

YOU GO TO THE FREAKIN' DOCTOR!!!

He gave me a cortisone shot to tide me over until the perscription for prednisone and an ati-inflammatory (Mobic), got me a thumb spica (an immobilizing splint/wrap) for use when I was working or driving, and told me when I was at home to elevate my wrist on a pillow, and lay a bag of frozen peas upon my wrist for 30 minutes at two-hour intervals.

I went from being unable to pull my pants up (much less operate the zipper), and feeling like a burning knife was being jabbed into my wrist, to total relief in about 72 hours.

I bought some wrist braces online. Hopefully they'll arrive soon and provide some help.

Bottom line: I know I need to see a doctor or physcal therapist to figure out what I'm doing wrong and correct it. Having no income at this point makes that option not too cool.

• Members

I bought some wrist braces online. Hopefully they'll arrive soon and provide some help.

Bottom line: I know I need to see a doctor or physcal therapist to figure out what I'm doing wrong and correct it. Having no income at this point makes that option not too cool.

Hello??? Medicaid???

Put your pride before your health, and you will eventually regret it.

(like right now):freak:

Archived