Outdoor Gigs - Your Experience With Weather?

• Members

DISCLAIMER: no actual learning will likely take place in this thread, however as always there is the potential that it could deteriorate into some unrelated fight about covers vs. originals, playing for free or Crazy Bitch by Buckcherry.....

For you guys doing outdoor gigs when it's in season (and what is your outdoor season), around here it is late May through early October (at most), what is your percentage that actually go off vs. cancelled or moved inside due to weather?

Over the last two years, I would guess ours at about 65% played 35% weather cancelled.......it's been rough.

This year we are 0-1, hoping to make that 2-1 after this weekend (knocks on wood)......:thu:

There is place on the CT shore that we've been booked 4 times over the last two years, and played exactly 0 times.......:mad:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is place on the CT shore that we've been booked 4 times over the last two years, and played exactly 0 times.......
:mad:

Ouch - that hurts.

Last year we were 100% on playing everything scheduled outdoors.

Based on my odds and based on your odds - that tells me that my band is working as hard :confused:

• Members

We do a lot of outdoor gigs from June to September. We get the lions share of our precipitation during the winter with mostly isolated showers or T-storms in the summer months. On the rare occasion we encounter rain it's usually gone in a half hour or so.

We have tons of tarps and the wife keeps a watch on the NOAA radar and gives a call on the cell if it looks like anything is coming our way.

That being said, we cancelled the Boysen gig this week end because we aren't quite out of the winter pattern yet.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=RIW&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

• Members

We did an outdoor gig two weeks ago but we were under cover. It started raining just as we were packing up. We have 5 more outdoor gigs booked this year .

I live in the PNW so rain can be an issue at any time of the year. However July and August are usually pretty good bets for decent weather around here.

Max

• Members

South Florida checking in. The season for outdoor gigs is just about year round. Up until the past two years, summer afternoons always brought short rains - not so much these days. Tarps are always kept on hand, just in case.

I've only been rained out once. Two songs in, the sky opened up and it was all over.

We played an outdoor gig last weekend. Dear Lord, was it hot. Sweat pouring into my eyes, guzzling water so I don't pass out hot. And it was an overcast day.

Off topic: They brought in a great stage - but our power was ONE extension cord run from City Hall. ONE EXTENSION CORD.

• Members

We do quite a few outdoor gigs in the summer - and have had pretty good luck over the years. We're pretty good about ensuring that we set up under cover of some sort (porta-stage, tent, canopy, etc.) - and ALWAYS have tarps to cover gear in the event we do get hit with some rain. The couple of gigs that weather was a factor was an Ice Festival gig we played in mid-January (think temperatures in the 'teens) - where we set up in a "heated" beer tent. The ambient temp in the tent was in the high 50's....which was OK....but did wreak havoc on trying to keep guitars and saxes in tune. I don't usually worry about it too much - as long as it's not an outdoor thing targeted for April (pushing the start of the season...) or October (pusing the end of the season).

• Members

For you guys doing outdoor gigs when it's in season (and what is your outdoor season), around here it is late May through early October (at most), what is your percentage that actually go off vs. cancelled or moved inside due to weather?

Over the last two years, I would guess ours at about 65% played 35% weather cancelled.......it's been rough.

This year we are 0-1, hoping to make that 2-1 after this weekend (knocks on wood)......
:thu:

There is place on the CT shore that we've been booked 4 times over the last two years, and played exactly 0 times.......
:mad:

That's how I was with 125. I had 3 different bands over the years booked there and never once actually had a show in probably as many years. Last year was the first year that we played all of our outdoor gigs. But it's such a hassle that we don't take them anymore unless there's a backup plan or it's a special show. So far we only have one outdoor gig this summer and we just booked it, but there's a good backup plan in case of rain.

• Members

I've been lucky with weather, but the stages are almost always covered here.

There's a local festival here that they insist on having the first weekend in June, which is the height of the rainy season. Last time I played it, there were about 4 fans huddled under umbrellas and all the vendors hiding in their booths or cars. That was it.

Once, I did an August (Lightning season in the inland Northwest) festival gig on a concert stage with the canvas cover, full light trusses, etc. Well, toward the end of our set, I could see the black clouds roll in, and during our last song, the wing all of a sudden started blasting, lighting hit, and raindrops the size of quarters started hitting me full on in the face. The sound guy gave us the "cut!" signal, we ended the song, dropped our instruments, and they cranked the stage cover down before the wind could blow it away. Just as it came all the way down over the gear, the sky opened up and it poured.

Twenty minutes later, it passed, the sun came back out, they cranked up the stage ceiling, we got our gear off stage, and the next band played.

I wad a suit jacket on, and it was covered with a light film of mud from the dirt in the rain, as was my guitar and pedal board.

• Members

I'm in Florida. In summer, you're pretty much guaranteed late afternoon storms. I don't recall ever having to cancel an outdoor gig, although I suppose it could have happened. Had to quickly pack up and get out of there a few times though.

• Members

We were booked for two days at a Spring Break Festival at Six Flags in the Dallas area one year. It rained the first day and so we were canceled for both. But, because we signed a contract we still got paid. And, because we were in the park when the rain let up we went on all the rides.

The next year we were booked again. It rained. We got canceled and we got paid. The following year we played for free because the park was now out a few grand due to the band's weather (mis)fortunes.

Those are the only problems we've had with outdoor weather other than the two or three occasions where a cold front has blown in and we've played in layers. The crowds on those nights were not so hot, in all manners of speaking.

AC/DC doesn't go so well with hot chocolate.

• Members

Duringthe summer, I do a number of outdoor gigs here in Chicago and have had pretty good luck (despite this town having some very unpredicable weather). Most stages are covered, but we've just been pretty lucky. Only one gig cancelled in the 6 years I've been on the street fair circuit.

• Members

That's how I was with 125. I had 3 different bands over the years booked there and never once actually had a show in probably as many years. Last year was the first year that we played all of our outdoor gigs. But it's such a hassle that we don't take them anymore unless there's a backup plan or it's a special show. So far we only have one outdoor gig this summer and we just booked it, but there's a good backup plan in case of rain.

Your 125 is my Pavillion..........sorry non-CT guys, this will mean nothing to you......

• Members

We've been lucky.

In seven years we haven't had to cancel a single outdoor gig because of weather.

We've sweated our nads off in sweltering heat, but no cancellations.

Now that I've said that, I expect our August gig in Seaside Heights to be a monsoon.

• Members

I live in Seattle. Outdoor shows tend to be almost all in the summer, and even then, a lot of stages are covered. That's how we roll.

*opens umbrella*

Yep. When I moved here, the locals told me to never plan anything outdoors until after the 5th of July. I own a bunch of blue tarps...

• Members

We have an outdoor gig at the end of May... I am not too worried about rain as I am about frost and freezing.. The weather up here (toronto) has been brutal lately..it is supposed to warm up.. but this venue is not covered.. so we said if there is a hint or forecast of rain we will not be playing...

• Members

All our "outdoor" bookings have been under cover...they have to be in the UK......it's raining as I type!

Our next one is in three weeks in the back of a covered trailer, so if (when) it rains, we'll be probably playing to an empty field whilst everyone searched out the beer tent!

• Members

We've been playing our neighborhood picnic the last 6 years, kind of our contribution to the event, and only had one rain out. We still played for a few of our dedicated neighbors but seeing all that water pouring down over my ride cymbal and onto my toms really made me cringe.

They dried out and sound as good as ever. Gotta love those Gretsch guys...

Played an outdoor gig last night at the US National Whitewater Center here in Charlotte. An absolutely perfect night! About 80 degrees, a little breeze, about 300 in attendance, rafters and kayakers floating right behind me. What a night!

Mark

Roadside Attraction Band

Archived