guitar solo? cutting through the mix

jry 1949

• Members

Id never use a Deluxe onstage w/o an attenuator. It gets too loud before it dirties up enough. You must have lots of stage volume.

Too loud because a 22 watt amp is being buried by a horn section?

You're kidding, right?

{censored}, I could damn near bury a 22 watt with just one trumpet - let alone bass, drums and a few more horns.

• Members

IMO drummer's are the worst offenders in this area - getting a drummer to play with dynamics is tough and that's were a clear musical leader who is not afraid to stop the show in rehearsal and scold the drummer is a big plus.

+100 Can't tell you the number of times myself or the other guitarist has said to our drummer, "why don't you just go ahead and continue to take a crash solo here in this section, I'm gonna stop playing the lead." It gets the point across. :thu:

• Members
Too loud because a 22 watt amp is being buried by a horn section?

You're kidding, right?

{censored}, I could damn near bury a 22 watt with just one trumpet - let alone bass, drums and a few more horns.

I don't play super loud on stage. I like to hear myself sing. And yes, a Deluxe is a very loud 22 watts. Many of the ones I've been around have had D120s in them which makes them more piercing yet. And if you re-read, I was referring to me and my usage, no one else's. I like a lot of dirt. A Deluxe gets too loud for me before getting dirty enough.

• Members

Hi all. I'm looking for suggestions.Sometimes my leads get buried.My amp is a fender deluxe reverb 65 reissue.

I play an amer.delx strat and les paul studio.My signal chain is boss-tu 2-Ibanez TS9-boss DS1-FULLTONE SOUL-BENDER-MXR carbon copy to BBE clean boost Grande to amp. I'm thinking about getting some kind of treble boost or compressor,anyone think this might help? If not any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks a lot guys ROCK ON!!!!! later

you mentioned that your solo gets buried... what about your rhythm? is it cutting through nicely? if so, it might not be an issue with volume, but with how your solo sound is EQ'd.

make sure the mids are up (not scooped), and have the tubescreamer as a clean boost.

you can try an EQ pedal (i'm not a big fan of them, however), but it might work in your situation.

-PJ

• Members

I don't play super loud on stage. I like to hear myself sing. And yes, a Deluxe is a very loud 22 watts. Many of the ones I've been around have had D120s in them which makes them more piercing yet. And if you re-read, I was referring to me and my usage, no one else's. I like a lot of dirt. A Deluxe gets too loud for me before getting dirty enough.

I hear ya - was just pointing out that Strat was talking bout a 7 piece horn band.

I know what you're saying about too loud combos - the smaller the box, the more shrill and cardboardy they tend to sound IMO.

Archived