The dreaded search for a new drummer.

newmaxnew

• Members

We just got email from the drummer informing us that he won't be continuing on after the new year. This is not the worst news as he has had some real issues with drinking in the past. We will however miss him and he is very good at what he does.

Now we have to find a new drummer that wants to play the old 60s and 70s stuff we do. Here is an ad that I put together:

Working Classic Rock band seeks drummer.

We play songs mostly from the 60s and 70s. We have gigs, merchandise and a following. We perform on weekends usually 2-6 times per month.

We need a drummer who is interested in playing the drum parts from the actual songs and not just a beat that fits the song. Age is not a concern, but please be experienced enough to perform in a working band. What you do in your own time is your own business; however excessive drug and alcohol use at rehearsal or performances is not acceptable.

Please check our song list on our web site at hotboxrox.com

What do you guys think? Am I saying too much? Should I leave the alcohol and drugs thing out of the ad and just ask those questions of people who respond to the ad?

Max

• Members

I've had good luck with a "No 'no's" policy on ads. Don't put any "don't"s, "No"s, etc. in the ad. Most of that stuff is assumed, the rest can be addressed in interviews/emails/meetings. You've got a pretty tall order for a drummer to begin with, so you're best off not ruling anyone out--better to have 5 out of 6 applicants suck than 0 out of 0.

• Members

Age is not a concern, but please be experienced enough to perform in a working band. What you do in your own time is your own business; however excessive drug and alcohol use at rehearsal or performances is not acceptable.

Eliminate all of this...and just put the word "Experienced" in the first section.

Don't use imperatives like "need" - makes you look pushy.

"We are seeking an experienced drummer"....

No need to mention the dope/alcohol thing - those cats are gonna bull{censored} ya anyway, and try to hide it.

• Members

Don't do that man - that's a slam on your former drummer and it's transparent as hell.

Makes you look petty and like the type that will burn bridges or backstab if things don't work out.

I really liked the rest of your advice, but I didn't read this section the way you did. It could be reworded in a more positive way--"we aim to recreate the record as closely as possible"--but I didn't think they were talking about the old guy.

• Members

Got a buddy that used to drum that lives in Seattle. How far is that? I could check if he's interested.

Two of our members live in north Seattle. We rehearse north of Seattle in Everett.

The part of the ad where I said the drummer needs to recreate the drum parts from the original songs is not a slam on our old drummer. That is one of the things we really liked about or old drummer. I have known too many drummers that will not sit down and listen to a recording to learn the drum part from the original song.

Max

• Members

Here's the ad I used last month when we needed to find a new drummer:

Established metro-area classic rock band needs a drummer. You should be comfortable with going from Beatles/Stones to Steely Dan to Tom Petty to CCR to Blue Oyster Cult to Neil Young to Matchbox 20...you get the picture. Vocals...they would be nice...but not required. Putting the groove in the pocket and driving the energy are what we're looking for.

We have a full p.a. and lights, but you would be expected to supply your drum mics. We have a contract with a booking agency, and work 2-5 nights a month. We have solid day jobs and home commitments. It would be best for all concerned if you did too. This is a band that plays the metro area on the weekends for fun and extra cash. Please don't respond if you are looking to find a band to be your sole source of income.

If you're still reading, and are interested...please respond.

Thanks!

I posted it on craigslist and backpage and got many more responses than I expected. I didn't put any contact info in the ad. That helped me weed out the obvious flakes before letting them know who we were.

I agree with the previous responses...don't put anything in there that can be perceived as a slam at the previous drummer. Ditto on the 'no drugs or alcohol' stuff. Stress that you are a working band of professionals and you expect the same from your new drummer.

• Members

We just got email from the drummer informing us that he won't be continuing on after the new year. This is not the worst news as he has had some real issues with drinking in the past. We will however miss him and he is very good at what he does.

Now we have to find a new drummer that wants to play the old 60s and 70s stuff we do. Here is an ad that I put together:

Working Classic Rock band seeks drummer.

We play songs mostly from the 60s and 70s. We have gigs, merchandise and a following. We perform on weekends usually 2-6 times per month.

We need a drummer who is interested in playing the drum parts from the actual songs and not just a beat that fits the song. Age is not a concern, but please be experienced enough to perform in a working band. What you do in your own time is your own business; however excessive drug and alcohol use at rehearsal or performances is not acceptable.

What do you guys think? Am I saying too much? Should I leave the alcohol and drugs thing out of the ad and just ask those questions of people who respond to the ad?

Max

I kind of agree that this would be enough:

Working Classic Rock band seeks experienced drummer.

You can bring up the "no drug use at gigs or rehearsal" and also the "playing specific parts rather than just a beat that fits the song" during the first phone call/ interview.

It's not bad if you want to say all that up front. I guess I was just thinking of a drummer reading "exact parts" - and thinking, "wow. these guys are going to be really anal about every single run I play" - when I don't think that's what you mean at all. I think what you mean is that you at least want the signature parts of the songs to be the way they are supposed to be.

Or am I wrong, do you really want the drum parts to be exact?

I guess I am just resonding from the perspective that you sometimes have to let your players just play . We have a really good drummer and I can tell him I want him to play a certain fill just like the original and he does it, no problem. (Sometimes he learns it that way anyway, but if it is ever off, he has no ego problems that get in the way of me being able to say, hey, do it this way...) But it would be a hassle for him if I got all picky or if I analized every little section of all the tunes. Some parts he plays just as well as the original but it is slightly different ... not in a way that your average listener would pick up on, you know what I mean? It is the signature parts of tunes that people notice, not the parts in the main body of the song.

• Members

I really liked the rest of your advice, but I didn't read this section the way you did. It could be reworded in a more positive way--"we aim to recreate the record as closely as possible"--but I didn't think they were talking about the old guy.

Really?

Then why would they say "and not just a beat that fits the song", unless they had experienced just that situation at some point in the past?

I dunno - that's how it comes off to me anyway.

• Members

Really?

Then why would they say "and not just a beat that fits the song", unless they had experienced just that situation at some point in the past?

I dunno - that's how it comes off to me anyway.

Our old drummer was very good at playing what was in the original song. I have known and worked with a few drummers that just play a beat on cover songs and don't try to get close to the original. We want a drummer that does the same thing as our old drummer in this aspect.

This is the first ad I posted, I may need to post again in a few days:

Seeking Experienced Drummer

Working Classic Rock band in the north end seeks experienced drummer.

We aim to recreate the original recordings as closely as possible so be prepared to learn the drum parts from the original recordings.

Max

• Members

Our old drummer was very good at playing what was in the original song. I have known and worked with a few drummers that just play a beat on cover songs and don't try to get close to the original. We want a drummer that does the same thing as our old drummer in this aspect.

Ah - perception is a powerful thing....

IMO the shorter the better.

• Members

Great, now he decideds he doesn't want to leave after all.

I need to tell tell him that next time he quits he will be replaced no matter what.

Max

yep. Don't let him be your Brett Farve LOL...seriously, I've had employees get 1/2 way through their 2 week notice and change their minds. Too late, I've already hired someone, or have been talking to them.

• Members

That part is great - maximum info, no negativity. Direct and to the point.

:cop:
Don't do that man - that's a slam on your former drummer and it's transparent as hell.

Makes you look petty and like the type that will burn bridges or backstab if things don't work out.

Eliminate all of this...and just put the word "Experienced" in the first section.

Don't use imperatives like "need" - makes you look pushy.

"We are seeking an experienced drummer"....

No need to mention the dope/alcohol thing - those cats are gonna bull{censored} ya anyway, and try to hide it.

I think i would stick with the first part like wade said. As for the we want it just like the record. Hmm you are asking for a world class drummer if you really want it like the records. You might wanna tone that down to experienced gigging drummer for classic rock band.

Dont act like you are looking for superman ...... not many play drums.

• Members

Slightly off topic, but somewhat related:

We always make it a point BEFORE we have interested parties over to tell anyone auditioning that we will get back to them a day after the audition so the band can talk together. Takes the pressure off the departure and lets everyone have their say before a decision is made.

That rule came about when we auditioned someone that not every one wanted in the band and the singer said "You're in" at the end of the audition without any discussion.

Then we had to kick the singer out.

• Members

What you do in your own time is your own business; however excessive drug and alcohol use at rehearsal or performances is not acceptable.

imho this makes you sound like there are drug and alcohol problems all around you... Like you're lower class or something... It makes me (someone who doesn't do those things at rehearsal) not want to apply.

• Members

I got about 5 responses before I pulled the ad. I told the ones that responded that our drummer has had a change of heart.

We are all going to sit down with the drummer and let him know that he can't just quit any time he is feeling blue.

Max

Archived