Finding someone for keys

SBF3000

• Members

Eh...I dunno.

I've never liked playing just "good enough". That's why I did all the fast noodling, after you can literally hear me get frustrated trying to slip-note a keyboard that felt like a little kid had put his hands all over it after eating a sucker or some ice cream.

No one likes it ..... but as you know {censored} happens. When it does,,, you want your worst not to be a trainwreck. Was that the cleanest best piano solo ... na ,, but its still better than the average bear.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought it was some damned good playing, too:thu: I hate sticky fingers and humidity- sometimes I combat that with talcum powder.

I hate the humid/sticky keys feeling too. I've tried the talcum powder on the hands thing - but that never seems to fix it for me. Although I'm sure that it must be against the rules in some way, shape or form - I've found that spraying a little Pledge onto a soft rag and then wiping down the keys with the rag - (trying to keep the amount of Pledge actually applied to the keys to a minimum) seems to work best for me.

• Members

I hate the humid/sticky keys feeling too. I've tried the talcum powder on the hands thing - but that never seems to fix it for me. Although I'm sure that it must be against the rules in some way, shape or form - I've found that spraying a little Pledge onto a soft rag and then wiping down the keys with the rag - (trying to keep the amount of Pledge actually applied to the keys to a minimum) seems to work best for me.

I would have to try that next time...

The guitarist would usually keep a bottle of baby powder in his gear case. It usually works for me

• Members

The pointing, in this case meaning the direction the chords move towards the tonal center. I don't use math, but rather a geometric logic in relation to the keyboard.

The IV-I plagal cadence is well known in classical music - to me, G to D is that IV-I plagal cadence.

Note that I'm not arguing that I'm right or that you are wrong - this song is tonally ambiguous.

You can also get pretty ambiguous with secondary dominants - leaving these songs aside for the moment:

Imagine starting on the C chord, now a quick change to F, and back to C. Now a change to D, followed by G. In this case, it should be fairly obvious that the key is C, and that the D is a secondary dominant.

If you omit the F though, things start to get a little ambiguous; is D a secondary dominant in key of C, or is D the V chord in key of G?

The melody and the harmony would have to be consulted to make that determination, though by it's nature the D will tend to be more dominant than secondary; there would generally need to be a fairly strong reinforcing of the tonic C to overcome the D's tendency to pull the tone center to G.

That's because chords following secondary dominants are "tonicized" - briefly take on the character of the tonic.

Crazy stuff...:facepalm:

What really does it for me on SHA is the G turns right back around to D, just like a IV chord should; even the F, C progression is followed by the D.

All roads lead to D, to my ears, in this tune - keeping in mind that I am consulting the melody too when making this judgment call.

We used to end it on F, C, D - hell, the whole damn song plays the turn around like that and to my ears, F, C, G is just WRONG.

Cool discussion Coot - hope you don't think my ears are total wood - but oh well, I'm sticking by what I hear and I swear this is the ONLY freaking tune that I have found that is so tonally ambiguous as to get some real fine musicians (not me) in a tizzy trying to get it all sorted.

Pretty damn funny actually. :lol:

• Members

Hey Rhat, you like "Nobody Knows You".

There's all kinds of cool usage of secondary dominants in that tune...

The A7 to Dmin move is a prime example - A7 being a fifth away from Dmin, which is the ii chord.

You'd note that as V7/ii....

Its in C ,I play it in C and,, transpose it into A with the switch so i can sing the thing. C is a really bad key for me to sing it ,, its my break point. great song ,, it does have alot of chord changes though.

• Members

Its in C ,I play it in C and,, transpose it into A with the switch so i can sing the thing. C is a really bad key for me to sing it ,, its my break point. great song ,, it does have alot of chord changes though.

Yup yup.

Secondary dominants are cool and easy to figure out for any scale; circle of fifths.

They are always major/dom7, and (mostly) always followed by a chord that is exactly a fifth away and still in the original key.

So you can also go from Bmajor to Emin as a secondary dominant move in the key of C.

• Members

Yup yup.

Secondary dominants are cool and easy to figure out for any scale; circle of fifths.

They are always major/dom7, and (mostly) always followed by a chord that is exactly a fifth away and still in the original key.

So you can also go from Bmajor to Emin as a secondary dominant move in the key of C.

I am not much of a theory guy ,, but have learned enough songs over the years i kinda learned some in spite of myself.

• Members

so after 2 auditions with 2 very good keyboardists, we have decided that I forego rythmn guitar on certain songs and play keys instead. Nothing against the guys that came in (no babes...dam), honestly we don't have the material right now for an added member. I told both of them that and they both understood, and both said they like our music and look forward to something down the road. So it wasn't a total waste of time. And one of them said that if we wanted him to hop in for just a song or two to call him up and he would be there. So there you go... go back to talking about Dm7s and cling ons. :)

Thanks for all of your advice. It helped alot.

• Members
so after 2 auditions with 2 very good keyboardists, we have decided that I forego rythmn guitar on certain songs and play keys instead. Nothing against the guys that came in (no babes...dam), honestly we don't have the material right now for an added member. I told both of them that and they both understood, and both said they like our music and look forward to something down the road. So it wasn't a total waste of time. And one of them said that if we wanted him to hop in for just a song or two to call him up and he would be there. So there you go... go back to talking about Dm7s and cling ons.
:)

If you can switch hit on guitar and keys ,,,, you dont need a keyboard player. You may even find that a lead guitar and keyboards makes for a better sound than two guitars

If you can switch hit on guitar and keys ,,,, you dont need a keyboard player. You may even find that a lead guitar and keyboards makes for a better sound than two guitars. You may want to just play keys. I play both keys and guitar ,,, but given the choice. I like a band with a good lead player and me on the keyboard.

• Members
so after 2 auditions with 2 very good keyboardists, we have decided that I forego rythmn guitar on certain songs and play keys instead. Nothing against the guys that came in (no babes...dam), honestly we don't have the material right now for an added member. I told both of them that and they both understood, and both said they like our music and look forward to something down the road. So it wasn't a total waste of time. And one of them said that if we wanted him to hop in for just a song or two to call him up and he would be there. So there you go... go back to talking about Dm7s and cling ons.
:)

If you can switch hit on guitar and keys ,,,, you dont need a keyboard player. You may even find that a lead guitar and keyboards makes for a better sound than two guitars

If you can switch hit on guitar and keys ,,,, you dont need a keyboard player. You may even find that a lead guitar and keyboards makes for a better sound than two guitars. You may want to just play keys. I play both keys and guitar ,,, but given the choice. I like a band with a good lead player and me on the keyboard. I have played in bands with two guitars with me on keys.... I would do it with the right people but generally i dont think it works that well. I was jammin with some guys where we had three guitars and i was on keyboard .... that really was not my idea of a good time. It was like 60 pounds of {censored} in a 20 pound bag. I bailed out on that deal for a jam band with one guitar player

• Members
If you can switch hit on guitar and keys ,,,, you dont need a keyboard player. You may even find that a lead guitar and keyboards makes for a better sound than two guitars. You may want to just play keys.

:thu:

This is what I found as I was listening to the auditions when either myself or the other guitar player were playing leads. It sounded entirely good. The keyboard players weren't doing anything I couldn't do with the same gear. So I said to myself "self, just do that". We'll see how it goes. HAve to upgrade my gear again...that gets old.

• Members
:thu:

This is what I found as I was listening to the auditions when either myself or the other guitar player were playing leads. It sounded entirely good. The keyboard players weren't doing anything I couldn't do with the same gear. So I said to myself "self, just do that". We'll see how it goes. HAve to upgrade my gear again...that gets old.

my gear is pretty simple ,, RD300sx, running two mackie srm 450s stereo. I am kinda old school so i didnt need a bazillion sounds that i prolly wont use. Best get to shopping keyboards.

• Members
my gear is pretty simple ,, RD300sx, running two mackie srm 450s stereo. I am kinda old school so i didnt need a bazillion sounds that i prolly wont use. Best get to shopping keyboards.

haha, yeah I don't think my old casio is going to cut it. ;)

• Members

I've always thought of SHA as being in "D". In fact, I don't know of anyone here locally who thinks of it as being in "G" but I'll ask around. And I always thought of the lead scale as being what I called the Dickie Betts scale, if you're in the key of D, play in Bm.

• Members

I've always thought of SHA as being in "D". In fact, I don't know of anyone here locally who thinks of it as being in "G" but I'll ask around. And I always thought of the lead scale as being what I called the Dickie Betts scale, if you're in the key of D, play in Bm.

I doubt that most people really think about it that much.

Archived