I think we jumped the frikkin' shark...

Khatru

• Members

Just did one last show with our original singer who is leaving the band. She is a pretty quiet person when it comes to talking to the audience. We've encouraged her to step up more, but she is still pretty quiet.

So another member of my band (we'll call him "Ringo") decided that since he has a microphone, he should "banter" with the audience (banter is the best way to describe it). He sings some backup vocals, or we would have taken away the mic some time ago. His approach to an audience is quite the opposite of cool, and we've asked him to refrain from doing this to avoid killing the vibe, such as it is.

Well, we had a moment after a song at that last gig when we needed to take a minute to check something out on the board, so he takes it upon himself to fill the silence by trying to tell the most lame jokes I've ever heard -in his great big "radio" voice (did'ja hear the one about the guy who walks into a bar?...). I won't repeat the jokes, but no one would EVER laugh at them in a million {censored}ing years. And his delivery did not help the weak material.

The audience was dumbfounded, staring back at him in silence/horror, but did that stop Ringo? No, he was on a roll. He keeps on with his lounge comedy act and falls flat over and over again. Unfortunately, he was the only one who did not seem to know how poorly this went over. We sure as hell saw it for what it was.

I wanted to yell "You Suck!" from the back of the room, but then I remembered that I was IN the band and was actually on stage with the guy.

We gotta talk to him. I'm not hip or clever but at least I know my limitations. Jesus, this guy just died and didn't even know it. :facepalm:

He is a good musician and backup singer, but has 1/10 the stage presence of Larry "Bud" Melman crossed with Don Rickles.

Kill me.

BTW, this also happened in a band I quit a few years ago, and damned if the guy in the other band didn't told the very same lame-ass jokes. Seriously.

Since I'm evidently the only common factor in all this debauchery, I'm feeling a bit discouraged about this alarming turn of events. I am wondering what I'm doing to encourage such behavior...

Fonzie_jumps_the_shark%5B4%5D3.png

• Members

can you turn it around on him? In my band, I often tell painfully bad jokes. I can't tell a joke well, my delivery is terrible, and I usually forget the punchline. Then my band mates start ragging on me over the mics, and that gets a much bigger laugh than the actual joke does.

I end up looking like an ass, but the crowd gets into and it's a good ice breaker.

So the next time "Ringo" starts in with his phony radio voice telling ancient jokes, I'd start ripping him up and down. Of course, this only works if "Ringo" can take a joke and put his ego aside for the benefit of the band.

• Members

Next time he does it grab a mic and say "Give it up for Shecky Green, ladies and gentlemen! He'll be here all week for happy hour, Monday thru Thursday! Don't forget to try the veal and please, tip your waitresses!"

Or say loudly after his joke bombs: "Thank you for that smattering of indifference."

• Members

I really like B Money's suggestion. Maybe you could couple it with a "wah wah wahhhhh" sound like they used to play on game shows to indicate the joke didn't work, now please laugh at the wah wah waaaah. :p

edit:

ha, or a big gong! Make a big stage show of one guy running for the gong and others trying to hold him back, a la the gong show!

• Members

Yes we have.
:blah:

Why not lighten up and fix the real problem?

Which is that your singer's feet is stuck in concrete - no offense meant but look at the big picture.

You all can't be in a bubble up there; some of the more outgoing types are going to pick up on that and so you get what you got.

I think some of the advice in the thread is good; poke fun at him, use sound samples....

• Members

This sounds very similar to my last band. Our lead singer was very pretty and a very talented vocalist. She liked to dress up in sparkly dresses and dazzle the eyes.

However, she lacked stage presence. She had kind of a soft talking voice and didn't really engage the audience. In a nutshell, she was basically shy.

So, who steps in to 'bring it'? The frickin' drummer. Granted, the guy was very talented at drums and could harmonize the hell out of a song. Unfortunately, he was also very poor at knowing when to tone things down. His harmonies would often be louder than the lead singer's lead vocals! He also talktalktalktalktalked way too much, telling stupid jokes, just basically filling dead space because he liked to hear the sound of his own voice.

But to be fair, if he didn't do it, it would have been pretty quiet up there.

I dunno...I just naturally associate the lead singer with M.C. responsibilities and whenever somebody else does it, it comes off as a bit odd. I saw a Journey/STYX/REO Speedwagon tribute band called Arch Allies. They were excellent, but the lead guitarist was the one who talked to the crowd all night, not the lead singer. I found that a bit annoying. I guess I always expect the lead singer to be the one who talks to the crowd and the rest of the band should respectfully let them talk (within reason).

• Members

I dunno...I just naturally associate the lead singer with M.C. responsibilities and whenever somebody else does it, it comes off as a bit odd. I saw a Journey/STYX/REO Speedwagon tribute band called Arch Allies. They were excellent, but the lead guitarist was the one who talked to the crowd all night, not the lead singer. I found that a bit annoying. I guess I always expect the lead singer to be the one who talks to the crowd and the rest of the band should respectfully let them talk (within reason).

Cheap Trick does that, too. Rick Nielsen does pretty much all the talking on stage, while Robin Zander stands there, gets a drink, puts on/takes off a guitar, or leaves the stage. It is kind of odd, but Cheap Trick is always a little odd.

• Members

The bass player in my last band was always the one to do that sort of thing, and he was really good at it. I've tried a few times, but it usually feels kind of phony and awkward.

• Members

we've actually used the 'Crickets' sound effect many times. It's great and usually gets a laugh. Another good sound effect is the "laughtrack" like they have on every {censored}ty sitcom. Tell a lame joke, followed immediately but the 'laughtrack', it's so chessy you gotta love it.

We used to use a ton of sound effects onstage. Kinda like Fred Norris of the Howard Stern Show. Whenever some drunk bar scag requests a song, we'd hit 'em with the "Wh-Wh-Whaaaat???!" from South Park.

• Members

So, you talked to him. The rest of the band agrees it's a problem. Hmmm... Stage banter is one of those things you need sometimes. But it can be painful if someone's bad at it. Overextended and exagerated laughter to make a joke of the joke. Start saying the punch line before he get's to it. Kick off the next song before he's done. But the real solution is to start doing it yourself. Unless you're really good at it, stage banter is like talking to a horse while your grooming it, or your dog when he's getting a shot. "It's OK. We're not going to hurt you. This will be over in a second." Say anything. On a radio show couple weeks ago I intro'd our bass player as a full blooded Pima indian. Ladies talking afterward: "Is he really an INDIAN???" "I don't know. These guys LIE all the time." I was so proud.

Archived