Changing guitar strings before a show

A Happy Crowd

• Members

My new band is playing our first show on Saturday. We have two more rehearsals before then, one tonight and the other just before the show.

Usually my approach to changing strings is to play until one breaks and then change them all. This has served me well in the past, although it's been an unusually long time since I've had a string break on me. With my backup guitar currently out of commission, I'm especially paranoid about breaking a string on stage.

I'm thinking about putting a new set on Friday evening. If I stretch them out, should that be enough time for the strings to settle and not go out of tune during the show? For those of you who play guitar, how many days before a show do you normally change your strings?

• Members

I usually try to change my strings the day before a gig so they have time to stretch and hold their tune better. I have, however, changed strings the afternoon before a gig and had no problems.

If it's been a while, you should probably put new strings on there before you play the gig. Even if they don't break, my strings start sounding pretty crappy if they've been on for too long.

• Members

I usually try to change my strings the day before a gig so they have time to stretch and hold their tune better. I have, however, changed strings the afternoon before a gig and had no problems.

If it's been a while, you should probably put new strings on there before you play the gig. Even if they don't break, my strings start sounding pretty crappy if they've been on for too long.

+1, and I'll add that I change mine every 3 gig's or so - adding rehearsals - that about every 8 uses or 25 hours.

• Moderators

If you have to change them right before a show even, there are ways to stretch them and get all the catches out so the stay in tune.

Lay the guitar in your lap. Fret at the first fret and grab the string right at the pickups. Then pull it upward an inch or more. You'll get the feel for what is too much. Tune it... repeat while fretting at the 2nd fret. Tune it... repeat, moving up a fret or 2 or 3 each time. Do this until you can't get it to go out of tune. Move to the next string and repeat. When you're done, retune.

That'll hold tune.

• Members

...although it's been an unusually long time since I've had a string break on me. With my backup guitar currently out of commission, I'm especially paranoid about breaking a string on stage.

That means you are due!! :p Two tricks I can suggest for you:

1. Do you need more callouses on your fretting fingers? If so, tune the strings up and go on every fret (yes, every one!) and do huge bends & vibrato to stretch them in. Tune, repeat until they do not go out of pitch. If you have a headstock that has considerable string length from the nut to the tuning peg, you can also apply pressure to those points (cover your fingers though!) to stretch that part of the strings. This method will strengthen your fretting hand & fingers while you are getting fresh strings on your axe - bonus!;)

2. Quicker method: Get a cotton sock that is relatively thick and put it on your dominant hand like a puppet. Go up & down the strings one by one from nut to bridge with the string between your thumb & forefinger. You can feel how much slack you generate by stretching them this way. You'll be amazed! Time to rawk!!!

• Members

yeah, like everyone else one day before minimum. also a backup guitar tuned and on stage is an absolute. get yours fixed faster or borrow one for your gig.

make sure you have an extra set of cords too.

I also don't cut my fingernails the day of a gig.

• Members

1. Put new strings on and tune them to pitch. Stretch them very gently & re-tune to pitch. Wind the strings neatly on the posts, with the winds tight up against each other, so there's a minimum amount of slop to "settle."

2. Play for 15-30 minutes, with some bends (nothing too radical before your strings are nice & stretched, just like you wouldn't do gymnastics without getting warmed up & stretched first).

3. Tune the guitar about a half-note sharp and let it sit overnight.

4. In the morning, tune it back down to a little below pitch and tune it back up to pitch.

5. If you tune a string a little bit sharp, don't tune it back down with the tuners. Instead, give a sharp little tug on the string, perpendicular to its length. Don't yank the {censored} out of it like you're about to insert an arrow, just stretch it an inch or so away from a straight line. This will (1) stretch the string a bit, and (2) tighten up any slop on the tuner-post windings, thereby bringing you down to balls-on pitch or below again without introducing tuner gear slop and making your tuning more stable in the process.

6. Tune the string back up to pitch, repeating step 5 as necessary.

7. Play the gig.

• Members

Thanks for all your help. There are a couple of stretching techniques I haven't heard of before, so I'll try those out.

I don't have enough time to get my other guitar ready for this weekend, so I'll just have to go into this show with just the one. Worst case scenario, we have about 30 mins of music for a 45 min time slot, so even if I have to change a string between songs, it won't be the end of the world. I'd just rather not be in that situation.

• Members

When I put on a new set of strings I just tune it up, bend the hell out of each string, tune again, bend some more, bang out heavily on a couple chords, tune again, rinse repeat till they stay in tune. Just don't go up there tuning in once, it shouldn't take very long for the strings to stretch properly. But its also much safer to have that backup guitar up there so you don't have to change a string in the middle of a set, even if your sharing the backup between 2 guitarists. Unless your extremely lucky and both guitarists break a string buring the same set, which has happened to me before, with only one backup guitar on stage.

• Members

I always change my strings the night before a gig. After putting on the strings, I tune them. I then lightly stretch them by lifting each string about 1/2" near the bridge and running my hand down the length of the string (towards the headstock). This typically results in the string being a half step flat. I then retune each string and let sit overnight.

The next morning, the strings are typically a half step flat. I tune them to pitch, and I'm good to go. They'll stay in tune for a full gig, but I don't do any wild bends, etc. Your mileage may vary.

• Members

Fresh strings every gig. I think that's one of the things I'm getting paid for. Plus, it has eliminated all on stage breakage for years. You can do the stretching bit, but I like to have a set on at least two days before I play. And, yeah, I stretch 'em. Same day or night before change/stretch routine sometimes gives me strings pulling sharp. A little more time, light stretching, and tuning to pitch frequently gives me good results.

• Members

Usually my approach to changing strings is to play until one breaks and then change them all.

Either you play really hard or you play with filthy rusted strings.

I'll probably go many months before I changed strings if I waited for one to break.

I also usually change strings the day before the gig. It's some kind of a ritual. If we have two or more nights on a row (very unusual), then I won't change strings until the gig batch is done.

• Members

You guys are all crazy!

Maybe it's because I live in a really dry climate, but my strings don't get dull on me nearly as often as what you're describing. Then again, my main telecaster probably only gets 12 hours of playing time a month (sometimes a lot less). I wipe them down and call it good until the smaller gages start losing some 'life'.

I also hate the sound of brand new strings. I try to get at least one rehearsal in on string before a show, mainly for stretching reason, but also to avoid that ice-picky attack--lame.

• Members

I've found it depends on the guitar. I have one I could change the morning of and have no concerns about it staying in tune.

I have another that I need to change about 1.5 days ahead of time to get them to stretch properly. I use the same type of strings on both.

• Moderators

If you have to change them right before a show even, there are ways to stretch them and get all the catches out so the stay in tune.

Lay the guitar in your lap. Fret at the first fret and grab the string right at the pickups. Then pull it upward an inch or more. You'll get the feel for what is too much. Tune it... repeat while fretting at the 2nd fret. Tune it... repeat, moving up a fret or 2 or 3 each time. Do this until you can't get it to go out of tune. Move to the next string and repeat. When you're done, retune.

That'll hold tune.

Yep. I'd think every working musician would know this.

Terry D.

• Members

You guys are all crazy!

Maybe it's because I live in a really dry climate, but my strings don't get dull on me nearly as often as what you're describing. Then again, my main telecaster probably only gets 12 hours of playing time a month (sometimes a lot less). I wipe them down and call it good until the smaller gages start losing some 'life'.

I also hate the sound of brand new strings. I try to get at least one rehearsal in on string before a show, mainly for stretching reason, but also to avoid that ice-picky attack--lame.

I'm the same way. I hate the sound of brand new strings. I have to play them for 6+ hours before they stop sounding awful to me. As a consequence, I usually leave strings on for way too long. It's hard to go from mediocre sounding dead strings to terrible sound bright strings.

I also almost never break strings. It only happens a handful of times a year and I usually play a couple hours a day. I play with a very light attack as long as I'm in a situation where I can hear myself well.

• Members

i don't change strings before every gig unless they sound bad. if i do change them, a day in advance is the way to go. another tip is to never tune down to pitch, always tune up.

a backup guitar is 100% essential, even if it's not the best. if you have 2 guitarists, you should have 2 backup guitars. ideally, it's nice to have a friend or somebody at the show who can change strings (properly) so you can have your #1 guitar back in action for the rest of the set. waiting for the guitarist to change strings ruins the flow of the set and looks really unprofessional

• Members

I think everything you are mentioning is regarding an electric guitar; with a nylon string guitar, things are much different.... I need to change them at least 3 days before a gig.....

I have found though, that if I buy a good set of strings (I bought one recently at guitar center, cost me $20, but I cannot remember the name, but sounds awesome) you do not need to change strings that often... BUT, buy the cheap kind, and prepare to be changing strings very often....

my $0.02

Omar :thu:

• Members

I used to change my strings like that (break one, then change the whole set). Now I never wait for that to happen. If my strings are sounding a bit dull and feel a bit lifeless (usually after 2-3 months of playing), I just change them. I kind of treat it like changing the oil in the car.

Since doing things this way, I haven't broken a string onstage in years, although having a fixed bridge probably contributes to that (my old floating Floyd Rose-equipped Ibanez would break strings often).

When I do decide to change strings before an upcoming gig, I never do it on the day of the show. I try to do it at least a day in advance, preferably even a week. Seems like no matter how much I stretch them, it still takes a while to break them in under the hot lights so they stay in tune better.

Archived