Click tracks

Knottyhed

• Members

I've started using a looper to play multiple guitar parts in my band, for this to work well all the time we really need to play to a click track... but I'm not sure how to implement it? There's only 3 musicians in the band (discounting the singer) and we all need to be able to hear the click track and ideally do it discretely (i.e. not all be on stage wearing comedy head-phones). I'm sure pro-bands use this sort of thing, but I can't find much out it on google....

I guess we need wireless in ear monitors and a some kinda metronome with multiple line outs?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

• Members

Or some kinda metronome with one line out, feed it into the desk and to the aux sends, just don't route it to the main mix! We're at the point where we're going to have to implement click tracks in some of our songs, so a similar story. I use the Shure PSM200 in ear monitor system, which is pretty cheap, rugged and sounds good.

• Members

Really only the drummer needs to hear the click (headphones)... you start the looper and stop it off the drummer meter and eveyone in the band plays to the same ... This could take the drummer awhile to work with a click if he hasn't done it before.

If everyone is playing to the click in a live band setting through speakers it will be a train wreck, the click can get lost in the mix.

• Members

We use a click track for songs with a backing (usually strings or synths). But it is only send to the drummer, who then keeps the time for the rest of the band. If your band doesn't have a drummer, I guess you would have to run it to everyone playing, which would kinda be a pain in the ass since you would all need in ear monitors.

• Members

+1 on the drummer. many of the bands we play with use like tracks. the click is fed on one side of the mix which only the drummer hears and usually run effects, like strings or backup vocals.

one drummer i was talking to actually has the name of the song right before the click begins for two reasons: 1) to make sure he cues the right song, and 2) in case the track comes in late he'll still hear the intro click, cause once you hit "play" (in whatever you're using, ipod, laptop, etc) that's pretty much it (especially if there's sound effects at the beginning of the song).

-PJ

• Members

The whole band hearing a click = potential disaster. No matter how good you are there are times that you find yourself the tiniest bit ahead or behind the click. When I think of an entire band trying to do it live it scares me a lot.

Potential disaster? Nope. Not at all. Our entire band uses in-ear monitors with click track. Works great.

No need to be scared or frightened. :poke:

Archived