R'n'B and 'Old School'?

New Trail

• Members

I've found a new favorite local AM radio station that plays R&B and 'Old School'. I know what R'n'B is, and really wasn't sure it still existed, but what is 'Old School'?

Well, what do they play that they call old school? I consider Wilson Pickett, early Tina Turner, Nina Simone, etc., to be old school. Depends on the frame of reference.

And nothing at all to do with a bus.

• Members

I've found a new favorite local AM radio station that plays R&B and 'Old School'. I know what R'n'B is, and really wasn't sure it still existed, but what is 'Old School'?

to me it means the 60s. to hitch it to demographics ,, its the top 40 music of the baby boomer generation. I was very active in bands between 66 and 70. There was some really great dance music that came out of just those 4 years as well as cutting edge listening music. If you had to pick 4 years in recient history to play ,,, those were some great years.

• Members

it depends on the context.

old skool r n b = wilson pickett, martha etc...

new skool r n b = kanye and all those guys

old skool dance = mid 90s happy hard core and techno

new skool dance = tiesto, cascada etc...

old skool metal = sabbath

new skool metal = whatever the hell is out there calling itself metal these days.

again this is purely subjective and plenty of people might be looking at these and disagreeing.

• Members

it depends on the context.

old skool r n b = wilson pickett, martha etc...

new skool r n b = kanye and all those guys

old skool dance = mid 90s happy hard core and techno

new skool dance = tiesto, cascada etc...

new skool metal = whatever the hell is out there calling itself metal these days.

again this is purely subjective and plenty of people might be looking at these and disagreeing.

I dont see how the mid 90s is any kind of school at all ,,, it seems like most were playing hooky when it came to school of any kind during that era.

• Members

I dont see how the mid 90s is any kind of school at all ,,, it seems like most were playing hooky when it came to school of any kind during that era.

well techno music essentially didn't really exist till the mid 90s in any mainstream sense and all of its offshoots like happy hardcore certainly didn't

all of those styles are markedly different from current techno and dance music so there's a distinct genre difference based on time and period.

• Members

well techno music essentially didn't really exist till the mid 90s in any mainstream sense and all of its offshoots like happy hardcore certainly didn't

all of those styles are markedly different from current techno and dance music so there's a distinct genre difference based on time and period.

It pretty well all sounds the same to me, and i have like zero interest in it. Its cool if you wanna carve that stuff up into genre,,,,Old school to someone who is really old ,,, aint 1995 ,, hell i got socks that are way more old school than that ...

• Members

It pretty well all sounds the same to me, and
i have like zero interest in it.
Its cool if you wanna carve that stuff up into genre,,,,Old school to someone who is really old ,,, aint 1995 ,, hell i got socks that are way more old school than that ...

well there you have it.

that's like me saying: well i have no interest in country so all the stuff that dolly parton and kenny rogers done back in the day sounds and is the same as garth brooks and keith urban.

• Members

There was a wealth of techno music in the 80's. Maybe the genre wasn't necessarily defined back then.

• Members

I had to edit this post after thinking about it more.

Usually when radio programmers mention old school, they're talking about 80s hip-hop (Run-DMC, Whodini, LL Cool J, etc.) Except in this instance. The phrase "The best R&B and old school" is indicative of a specific type of radio station - the rhythmic AC station.

Most rhythmic AC stations are called something like "Jammin" or "Movin" and many play old school hip-hop and R&B from the late 70s through the 90s. Some skew older (like described), some skew younger. A lot play funk and disco tunes that were big hits - everything from Motown to Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.

What station is it (what are the call letters/frequency), and what market?

Brian V.

• Members

R&B and old school to me means the Commodores, Stevie, Gap Band, Kool and the Gang, Isaac Hayes, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, you know, the good stuff. 70's and early 80's urban radio. That's why I love driving through Memphis, BTW- great radio for that.

Yep, I remember listening to that station when my wife and I were driving through Memphis about 4 yrs ago. Man when I found that station, I was in heaven!!

• Members

There was a wealth of techno music in the 80's. Maybe the genre wasn't necessarily defined back then.

as i said, it's a subjective term, i call alphaville and omd techno pop but someone else is just as legitimate to call what i call old school dance something completely different.

• Members

well there you have it.

that's like me saying: well i have no interest in country so all the stuff that dolly parton and kenny rogers done back in the day sounds and is the same as garth brooks and keith urban.

Old country to me is hank and johnny cash and willie, patsy. Kenny rogers was a rocker when I was young... he didnt go country till he fell off the rock and roll charts. Even dolly isnt what i call old country. It really makes no difference. What you consider old or classic depends alot on how old you are. Old school R&B to me is the temps, sam and dave, 4 tops, marvin, etc. I look at classic rock as the music of the 40s somthins. I guess one of the biggest reasons why the techno ,, or what ever synth heavy music isnt my thing, was no one had a snyth when i was getting introduced to music. The beach boys were the only one that had a synth.... good viberations.

I guess I never got into the electronic stuff ,,, It dont mean its bad.

• Members

They're not playing old Motown or Stax and the like. The oldest stuff that I've heard is stuff like "Return of the Mack" by Mark Morrison and "Nobody" by Keith Sweat. I like it!

well they obviously mean old skool RnB (not olds skool rythmn n blues)

confused yet? :D

run dmc, warren g etc.. all getting spins?

• Members

I typically think of old school metal as any metal where melodic vocals were the norm. Slayer was wandering around there and once people glomped onto that, and it became the predominant paradigm in "popular metal" is right around when "old skool" metal became "old skool".

Order of the day nowadays seems to be melodic chorus and shouted verses in "popular" metal, insofar as I can tell.

• Members

There are so damn many genre labels in music today that I quit trying to figure 'em out. Worse, each one is pretty much defined in the head of whoever is doing the labeling - and certainly not against any real standard for categorizing it.

This being the case - I've narrowed mine down to pretty much two labels....."Sucks" and "Don't Suck".

• Members

There are so damn many genre labels in music today that I quit trying to figure 'em out. Worse, each one is pretty much defined in the head of whoever is doing the labeling - and certainly not against any real standard for categorizing it.

This being the case - I've narrowed mine down to pretty much two labels....."Sucks" and "Don't Suck".

Exactly, A.K.A. "Music I like" or "Music I don't like." We were talking about a particular song at rehearsal the other night and one of the guys started making fun of it, saying the song was 'gay.' He was kidding really, but I told him that I no longer 'apologize' for liking a song, if I like it, I like it. Applies to genres as well, I guess.

Archived