PA concerns at backyard party

• Members

duncan5.jpg

Gotta love the "blast radius" effect....

(notice how everyone is up against the back rail of the deck, and no one is near the stage.

The 2 guys talking are even further back....) :lol:

Nah, I'm just bustin your chops a little man: it's rock and roll....:thu:

• Members

Gotta love the "blast radius" effect....

(notice how everyone is up against the back rail of the deck, and no one is near the stage.

The 2 guys talking are even further back....)
:lol:

Nah, I'm just bustin your chops a little man: it's rock and roll....
:thu:

:D Oh yeah. Believe me we were well aware of it. We had that invisible wall the entire first set and we had it stuffed with Sublime, Jimmy Buffett, Bryan Adams, John Cougar Mellencamp...

Of course two hours and 6 beers later we they were all front and center asking us if we knew and Iron Maiden and Pantera. ;) Of course we obliged. :thu:

duncan6.jpg

duncan7.jpg

• Members

Not really true ^

If you go around before the party and get the consent of the neighbors, and you stop playing by 10pm, you should have no problems. No guarantees, but there are never guarantees for gigs. I've had the cops show up at a BAR and make the band stop playing. lol.

dk

Yeah...the hosts did that at every single one of these parties. That's kind of common knowledge any time you have a party. You invite your neighbors etc.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. If you gave consent to your neighbor and the noise from his party is annoying you, the cops are called. Unless EVERY SINGLE ONE of your neighbors are at the party chances are the cops will be called if you have a snare drum or electric guitar.

That's why we no longer do them. I'll play with a cajon and an acoustic but it's pointless to set up a full band just to play for 20 minutes.

• Members

Do you guys not have to get noise permits to play outdoor shows? We play tomorrow and the have a permit til midnight. So if someone calls the cops we have a permit to show them.

The requirement (and likelihood of getting one) probably varies widely between muni's.

• Members

Do you guys not have to get noise permits to play outdoor shows? We play tomorrow and the have a permit til midnight. So if someone calls the cops we have a permit to show them.

A permit doesn't allow you to break the noise ordinance, usually a decibel limit from a certain distance.

Guess how I found this out?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My band has done a dozen outdoor parties and never had a visit from the police. The hosts were sure to invite the neighbors or it was a block party.

As far as setup goes: The more walls you have behind and beside your "stage" the better you will sound. The bass and kick won't need to work nearly as hard.

How loud do you play when you practice? Set your amp volume(s) at the same number as in your practice room for starters. As one other poster said "float the vocals over the instruments". Giving the drummer a monitor will help as well.

• Members

Ed Storer's got it. If you can set up mains so you get slapback fom a building or wall (the closer the better) it can help a lot. Now, this might sound strange, but could you get the singer to wear a full brimmed hat, Like a Cowboy hat or Fedora? Usually I hate to wear a hat onstage myself, but without Mons, it does the same thing as cupping your hands around your ears. The stiff straw ones are best. Sounds goofy, but it works.

• Members

Just love borrowed equipment. A number of years ago, a friend offered to provide PA for the band at an event. The rest of the guys weren't sure my 600 watt system would be big enough and the friend had a 1000+ watt community system. I was pissed. I knew my system would handle the job. I knew I could handle the job, but the fourth digit carried far more weight than it should. Archie had a nice looking system,but there were more than a few bugs. The guitarist couldn't hear his vocals in the monitors without causing feedback. In spite of the wattage differences, Archie's system didn't seem any louder. (Altec Lansings vs Community. No contest in my mind.) I think that was the last time anyone suggested someone else run sound for us.

Archived