When did the crowd dancing in the middle of the band become popular?

zekmoe

• Members

I haven't played in a cover band in years, but am again, and have been reading lots about it. Mostly over the last 10-20 years, I've played in original music bands that had stages or at least some barrier between the crowd and band. But I see all the cover band pics, where the girls (mostly, thank gawd) are right there in between the players, dancing, tamboreening, sometimes singing etc. I played in a cover band in the 80's and though we played enough dancable music, I don't remember this phenomenon. When did this start happening? When did the band and the crowd become one?

• Members

I haven't played in a cover band in years, but am again, and have been reading lots about it. Mostly over the last 10-20 years, I've played in original music bands that had stages or at least some barrier between the crowd and band. But I see all the cover band pics, where the girls (mostly, thank gawd) are right there in between the players, dancing, tamboreening, sometimes singing etc. I played in a cover band in the 80's and though we played enough dancable music, I don't remember this phenomenon. When did this start happening? When did the band and the crowd become one?

Probably when wireless became popular and affordable. It's fun.

• Members

Probably when wireless became popular and affordable. It's fun.

I probably wasn't clear. When did the crowd coming up to the band, not the band going into the crowd, become popular? Just walking up to you while you're playing and dancing and singing into your mic? Seems to be standard in alot of the pics being posted.

• Members

l_b8749ac42c0a4fc788fab70007bfbc9a.jpg

While we dont always encourage it and depending on alot of places where we play there is little to NO room so it happens. if we have a stage thats taller then 8" ( just a 2x8 platform laid out covered in plywood ) which is the above pictured stage layout. And its normally just one ... two songs that they do it on. Most of the time its the regular groupie type that do it cause they let them do it . I always cringe when they get up there waiting to here mics knocked over , cords unplugged , or god forbid the chicks that stand on the drum riser ( or BASS & FRONTMAN ) as above i picture the drummer and them all going WIPEOUT.

( i make a practice of punching out all mics other then the leadsingers during these events of mayhem to keep the yelling in the songs or feed back if the try to get all fancy )

It also makes for one helluva fun time by all involved in the mayhem ...:thu:

• Members

I probably wasn't clear. When did the crowd coming up to the band, not the band going into the crowd, become popular? Just walking up to you while you're playing and dancing and singing into your mic? Seems to be standard in alot of the pics being posted.

I dont know - but it {censored}s me sometimes. Random ppl grabbing my mic and yelling into it....or people stepping on my pedals and leads....usually because they are drunk.

• Members

This seems to happen to me more when there is no stage, where we are just set up on the floor in a corner somewhere. I dunno, I guess that 'barrier' doesn't appear to exist for some people and they just come right up into the band area.

I don't mind hot chicks doing it, but unfortunately, it's usually overly-excited dudes that want to sing with the band during a song. Ugh! :facepalm:

• Members

A lot of people have an attitude of entitlement. Even if they don't have any talent, they expect to be part of the show. Your band can be average, but if you let them get up and yell with you, or if you let them think they are actually playing along, you will become more popular with those people.

• Members

Probably when metal bands allowed stage diving. Then it spilled over in to the bar scenes and biker bars that encourage drunk women to come up and strip on the stage while the band plays. Did a few bars like that. Bikers bars can get pretty mean and nasty sometimes.

• Members

Y...I'm waiting to see the pic of the drunk chick who impaled herself on a cymbal stand.

...or one who tripped on the mic stand and knocked out your Bass players front tooth (happened to the Bassist in my cover band) :mad: .

Thankfully, most of the places we play have a proper stage. But, I've also noticed that the drunks seem more and more comfortable these days making themselves a part of the show.

I think it has a lot to do with our 'constantly connected' lifestyle. People are used to being able to immediately share everything with their friends/ family via email, text messaging, cell phone/ digital cameras, etc....

if some drunk gets up on stage & makes an ass of themselves, their pictures is more likely to end up on the bands website, their friends camera/ phone, MySpace, etc.... "look at me!"

• Members

All I can speak for is my band. We do the more roaming around in the crowd thing. In some sing along type songs the singer walks around with the mic and gives people in the audience a line or two to sing with the band. In the crowd picture I posted where people were on stage, I guess I instigated that. There were people up front singing along and I just told them to come up and sing into the mic. One thing led to another and a good time was had by all.

Other than an occasional drunk, we don't get people just coming on stage uninvited.

• Members

saturday at an outside restaurant gig we played an older gentleman decided to walk up to the stage area and "help us" sing Mustang Sally. (yeah yeah I know mustang sally sux...)

After that he stood there and bugged us to play Kansas city so he can sing with us...

we did it even though none of us knew it but it was funny.

• Members

We'll invite some girls on stage for a couple of specific songs, but other than that we discourage anyone from invading our space. Dudes are not welcome unless they are someone we know and have asked them to sit in! It's tough when the only thing separating the crowd from the band is the monitors!

• Members

We've always encouraged it. It started with us years ago when we would play small bars and it seemed ridiuclous to have this invisible wall up. It was much easier to feed off the energy of the crowd instead of playing to a bunch of wallflowers. When we started playing larger rooms we kept chicks coming onstage as party of our show. It makes us accessible and keeps people coming back again and again to see us.

DSC09766.JPG

DSC07142.JPG

And when a venue won't allow us to bring people onstage, we reach right out and get down with the crowd.

[YOUTUBE]77adajHaizM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

From all the pics it seems fun, but also seems a big chance to have your pedalboard stepped on/ruined, someone poked with a guitar part, some wires ripped out and a loud BUZZ attacking the PA, and all sorts of other logistical stuff. I also wonder if you increase the chance of a fight when you say yes to one person (hot chick) and no to another (guy or obnoxiously drunk chick).

• Members

Probably when metal bands allowed stage diving. Then it spilled over in to the bar scenes and biker bars that encourage drunk women to come up and strip on the stage while the band plays. Did a few bars like that. Bikers bars can get pretty mean and nasty sometimes.

My LORD, the truth in this statement!:facepalm:

• Members

We encourage it as soon you half a bunch of hottie's dancing and grinding you while playing, in various states of undress.

The only problem is when they knock over the beer.

This is why I don't use vintage pedals at gigs.

Archived