Criticism Appreciated

JailTime

• Members

Well, I've been biding some time, posting and getting to know the forum a bit - I think I'm prepared for whatever response may come. So if you wouldn't mind taking a listen, I'd be appreciative for all comments positive and negative.

I humbly submit to Harmony Central BWTB the EP Groveland for your review or neglect. If interested, please proceed to http://www.robbingmary.com/robbingmary-sounds.html as a direct link to the songs page. You can click the blue arrow box for a stream or right click on the song title itself to download gratis.

Thanks.

• Members

I like the website, pretty user friendly (not alot of useless confusing gobuldy guk), plus you get an idea of what the band sounds like before you've even heard a track.

Only had time to listen to "Satellite". Good track, good sounds. Is this for an actual album you'll sell or only demo/promo for booking? If it is for a releasable album I would have taken more production liberties instead of the bare bones approach (although what you've done works well with that Gin Blossoms / REM type of thing you do). Sounds great on my little crappy Mac speakers so I bet there's lots of clarity on a real system.

I would have put some perc w/ the drums, there's room for organ too. I would have change the bass fill after the 1st chorus to more of a John McVie thing but that's just a preference. I also would have kicked me out of the band so you could do what YOU do (LOL).

Good job.

Well, I've been biding some time, posting and getting to know the forum a bit - I think I'm prepared for whatever response may come. So if you wouldn't mind taking a listen, I'd be appreciative for all comments positive and negative.

I humbly submit to Harmony Central BWTB the EP Groveland for your review or neglect. If interested, please proceed to
as a direct link to the songs page. You can click the blue arrow box for a stream or right click on the song title itself to download gratis.

Thanks.

• Members

Sounds real good: listened to the first two tracks.

Production could have a little more "warmth"/lofi sound to it: it sounds like it was recorded on digital gear (isn't everything these days?)

Also it irks me to hear your bassist playing with such a pronounced pick attack on these types of tunes: I think a rolled off warm "thumpy" type of sound would be more "authentic" and less "in your face".

(Tell your bassist to lose that pick and warm up his sound. :))

• Members

JPaul - it was to put together a demo, primarily. But also to understand the recording process. The intent is to go back and record several more, pick the best of the bunch and release an LP. We did want to keep it a live sounding recording - something we could reproduce pretty faithfully live - hence the more stripped down production. Thanks for your feedback.

• Members

Production could have a little more "warmth"/lofi sound to it: it sounds like it was recorded on digital gear (isn't everything these days?)

Also it irks me to hear your bassist playing with such a pronounced pick attack on these types of tunes: I think a rolled off warm "thumpy" type of sound would be more "authentic" and less "in your face".

(Tell your bassist to lose that pick and warm up his sound.
:)
)

Agreed to a large degree. We've thought the entire production could use a bit more warmth, bass included. While there were some really nice preamps and boards involved - including mixing it on an analog board - it does have a bit of a digital sound. And every electric guitar was a Tele. We could have used a few tracks from a Strat. We intend to address that next time around. thanks.

• Members

Agreed to a large degree. We've thought the entire production could use a bit more warmth, bass included. While there were some really nice preamps and boards involved - including mixing it on an analog board - it does have a bit of a digital sound. And every electric guitar was a Tele. We could have used a few tracks from a Strat. We intend to address that next time around. thanks.

As a bassist myself, I hear some things he could do technique-wise to warm his tone up.

IMO, playing fingerstyle would be a good move: or he could learn to incorporate a palm mute with his pick (or stuff something under the strings to get that old school "thump")

I realize he'll probably hate me for saying this....but again, to me - those songs call for a less pronounced attack on the bass; it really stands out to my ears.

Maybe flatwound strings would help too: not saying every song needs this but a little diversity in the bass tone could really help your sound a lot.

I'm listening right now to "Layla" off of unplugged: dig that "upright bass" type of tone clapton's guy gets on that. :thu:

• Members

Ahhh, the deafening roar of mediocrity. Well, bump for another shot - this was posted on a Friday, you giggers. :wave:

As a bassist myself, I hear some things he could do technique-wise to warm his tone up.

IMO, playing fingerstyle would be a good move: or he could learn to incorporate a palm mute with his pick (or stuff something under the strings to get that old school "thump")

Maybe flatwound strings would help too: not saying every song needs this but a little diversity in the bass tone could really help your sound a lot.

Thanks for the feedback. We are heading back to the studio soon. It will be good to discuss this from a better position of knowledge.

• Members

Sounds good overall.. I'm also a little bothered by the bassist's tone.

Here is my overall feeling though: The songs are good but not memorable or instantly catchy. It's one of those things where is someone decides that they like your band they will LOVE all of the tracks but I don't hear that one track that sucks people in... I don't hear a single, to paraphrase Tom Petty. Barely a whisper starts off sounding like it will be the song but the energy built up with the energy really dissipates.

I don't want to seem overly critical as the songs are good and "Restraint" is close. It's just a matter of getting the songs a little more hook-ish if you want people to like them the first time they hear them.

• Members

Hey man i think the tunes sound quite good. I do agree that Restraint could be an EPIC tune with a resolution to a great hook or chorus.. Still I enjoyed listening to it all the way thru I like the background vox too.

I can only hope my own effort comes out that well. I am going to be making a couple of full lengths in two different bands over the next few months.. never done it before so I am really excited

• Moderators

I like it a lot. The pick on the bass is fine to me, though I think I would re-amp through a cranked SVT or a B-15. Get some hair and a little less focus from the mild distortion of some Ampeg tubes.

I like the whole vibe of the singer against the Tele attack. Your idea of adding another style guitar (Les Paul or 335?) is a good one for the next round but I do like this a lot. Rock and roll Teles give me a woody.

The drums and the drummer or spot on for this type of sound. Nice sounds on the kit, and more importantly, nice energetic feel from the drummer with very song-empathetic playing.

I love the singer. I dig you guys.

Background vocals: I like the way you guys are going for a very rootsy, simple recording approach and this is clearly apparent in the treatment of the backups. That's great but... you still need a method of pushing that background singer behind the lead. In pop that wold be done with oodles of overdubs and fx, and clearly, that won't fly here. What I suggest for a song like My Own Demise for example, is to use a small room verb with lots of early refections on her. Push her back.

Or better yet, record her off the mic more and in a bit of a reverberant space.

But having said all that, you guys hve nailed it already. If you need to release it as is, it is great and a lot of fun to listen to. If you're done with this stage, release it and move on. If you're still in the mixing, tracking stage, you don't need too much to be done done. As in done.

Great job.

• Members

I really, REALLY like it. Production sounds terrific on my crap-ola headphones.

Sounds clear and clean, yeah it's simple but it totally fits the music. Teles sounds nice. Vocals are on pitch, and the singer has a good tone.

I agree with the posts above pointing out that the songs could be punched up with some stronger hooks. The songs are good, but have almost an "album cut" feel to them.

Overall, much better than almost anything I've ever heard posted here. If your band came to my town, I'd buy a ticket to see you :-)

• Members

I don't want to seem overly critical as the songs are good and "Restraint" is close. It's just a matter of getting the songs a little more hook-ish if you want people to like them the first time they hear them.

Please - I appreciate your willingness to be candid. The ever-elusive hook...I am in search of this perpetually. But honestly I agree, and like B money said, there is a bit of an 'album' feel to these tracks. We have a number of others to choose from for the next round - the decision process will benefit with this perspective in mind. much appreciated.

• Members

Thanks Lee - Appreciation means more to me when it's coming from musicians. Snoggin, B Money and Les Paul, too.

And Lee - the BG vocals - I think you're right. There has been a bit of debate about it, but mostly, the consensus is that they are too high in the mix. Could use some more verb too. Funny, though, she has said that everyone she talks to is thrilled that her vocals can be heard well. I'm definitely going to suggest softening her BG vocals during the next mixdown.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

• Moderators

Thanks Lee - Appreciation means more to me when it's coming from musicians. Snoggin, B Money and Les Paul, too.

And Lee - the BG vocals - I think you're right. There has been a bit of debate about it, but mostly, the consensus is that they are too high in the mix. Could use some more verb too. Funny, though, she has said that everyone she talks to is thrilled that her vocals can be heard well. I'm definitely going to suggest softening her BG vocals during the next mixdown.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

I like that they can be heard too. It adds another personality and not just a "Part". I wouldn't soak her in verb nor would I turn her down much if any. But I would set her back. Like I said, the best way is to have her sing again and get her off the mic 2 feet or so. Do it at least where there's a hard floor. Then those early refections put her in a supporting role naturally and she can still be up in the mix. Don't lose her, just frame her differently.

Archived