Does every band need a leader ?

wro

• Members

I assume nobody likes to be bossed around.

Well, if it's creating those feelings it's not really leadership.

It's failing and stress cracks are showing

I assume this question relates to the individual that inspired

When a bandmate is a dick...

... he feels he is a rock star, a god, a prophet...

maybe you should just dish the whole thing

I'll get the General Foods International coffee

• Members

Yes, but it depends on the circumstance. For example, when it comes to issues like finances and home maintenance, I take a clear leadership role. When it comes to child rearing and day-to-day tasks, my wife takes the lead. There's a lot of overlap and negotiation, but we each defer to each other in these areas when necessary.

Unfortunately bands, which are often treated as toys or diversions for most people, rarely ever are allowed to develop to the level where individuals can have such a level of understanding. It's more like a business than a life-long partnership, and businesses cannot function without some sort of leadership.

• Members

Q: Does every band need a leader?

Short Answer: Of course not.

Long Answer: Every band is different. I would think a full time band, or a pro original band would need a leader of some sort to be successful. But most bands are part time weekend warriors. Most could benefit from a leader, but as long as everyone is on the same page, and does the tasks that they are the best at, it can work... sort of...

dk

• Members

I don't think a band has to have a "leader" per say, but should have one person who can make the, "call", on stage if need be. There's nothing like watching a band argue forever on a gig, on stage, over what song is next. It should be, argue a little, then one person listens, then makes the call, and everyone follows.

It can be discussed later, off stage. When I play sports, the Team Captain, does this same thing during a game.

• Members

What makes you all think it's so clear cut?.... :facepalm:

There are leaders and leaders, that should be obvious. You could all agree that having a leader is the best idea for bands, and that wouldn't help a band who has a leader who is absolutely clueless about everything. Alternatively you get people like the last poster who thinks leaders are bad, but then there are band leaders out there who are amazing. Ones who delegate and welcome advice and weigh up everyone's opinions, and take time thinking over important decisions and always does whatever is best for the band as a whole. When making a musical decision, they pay special attention to the advice of the most experienced and talented writer. When making a band direction decision, they pay close attention to the guy who has been in bands for 30 years or whatever...

The answer isn't so clear cut. The ideal solution in my opinion is an awesome leader, but if the leader was {censored} then it would be better having a band who just vote on things and go with whatever the majority agrees. What is "best" for one band wont necessarily be best for another and will depend on who is in the band.

• Members

.... but if the leader was {censored} then it would be better having a band who just vote on things and go with whatever the majority agrees.

If you truly feel that way - you deserve whatever comes your way.

With 30 years of experience under my belt - and somewhere close to $30K tied up in my keyboard rig, PA and lights - I will happily throw my time, my resources and my energy behind a leader who emerges with a vision and sells his ideas on the quality of their merits.

If nobody else has a vision - I'll provide some leadership (I'm a great organizer - but not a visionary artist). My ideas will certainly get the job done if there isn't anybody with a better plan in the group.

I'll load out before I'll follow an idiot simply because he's got the title of "leader".

• Members

This issue was recently flogged pretty thoroughly on this forum. Not meaning to be a smart ass ... but give the following thread a read .... if there's more than needs to be said ... by all means!

:soapbox:Yeah, there is more to be said. And this is it. And it is me saying it. I'm the leader of this thread because you douches are too busy overplaying and {censored} hunting to really give a {censored} about what is going on here. Dammit, I wouldn't have to yell at you if did what I {censored}in' told you to do. Ya wanna know why I'm the guy that does everything in this thread??? Cuz I'm the only one who can do it right! No wonder we don't make any money!!!! You {censored}ing guys' entire lives are one big clam!!! I'm hustlin the crowd trying to create fans, and you douches are busy drinkin and tellin lies about {censored}. I'm at the merch table and you're jacking off!!! Get it together or you'll NEVER WRITE ON THIS THREAD AGAIN!!!

Famous Buddy Rich bus rant condensed and paraphrased:

I GIVE YOU 3 DAYS OFF, AND THIS IS WHAT YOU GIVE ME?? CLAMS?? MISCUES?? YOU ARE BREAKIN MY HEART UP THERE! I'VE PLAYED WITH THE GREATEST MUSICIANS ON THE PLANET AND I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS {censored}?? I'M THE ONLY ONE ON THE BANDSTAND WHO KNOWS WHAT'S GOING ON! IF I HEAR ONE MORE MISCUE FROM ANY OF YOU, I'M SENDING YOU ALL HOME!! THIS WILL BE YOUR LAST {censored}ING GIG, I GUARANTEE YOU THAT! NOW GET OFF MY BUS! :arg:

Leaders...yeah whatever...sorry op, but it is a stupid question. If you hire me and pay me, I'll do what I'm hired to do and give a little extra. If there is no money involved, I won't be dictated to. And if {censored} starts to smell, I'm out.

There are only 2 reasons a band stays together...money, or the love of the art being made. Leader or not.

• Moderators

The answer to "does EVERY band need a leader?" is definitely "no"... it really all depends on the individuals involved.

I was in a band that was basically democratic, and while it wasn't always easy, we were good friends and pretty like-minded to start with, and we're all reasonable people. It worked out great overall, we were pretty successful, and it lasted eight years. Some things took longer to accomplish because we make some effort to reach consensus, sure, but one of our strengths was that that because we all had so much of a stake in the band, we all put a lot of energy into it.

The thing that it boils down to for me, is that with GOOD leadership comes responsibility. For example, now I'm in a band where I'm definitely "the leader". So while I have the final say in things and, in the end, decide the direction of the band, I also have the responsibility of the songwriting, booking, scheduling, etc, and I also pay a bigger share of recording/pressing costs. When youre the one putting the most into it, you have a lot more credibility being the one calling the shots.

By the same token... I also play drums in a band where prett much all I have to do is show up and play. And in that case, I'm quite content to be a follower.

• Members

I'm glad you have an arrangement that works for you. But, that is one way of making a marriage work, not the only way. Bands probably need a leader, maybe along the lines you indicate. A marriage? Not necessarily.

Rebel

Are you married?

• Members

Leader but not a DICTATOR.... I say to some degree, yes there needs to be some sort of leader person. Someone needs to get things organized and pointing in a direction. But when that person becomes a dictator or "decision maker guy" - (unless you are just a hired gun for a front person).... thats when animosity startes to well.

Someone always rises to the occasion - the REAL problem are the dictator or when two or more people rise to the occassion and butt heads.

I am the organizer and motivator - I keep everyone in one direction, but we have band meetings where we have OPEN FORUMS where we all talk about how we like the direction, our roles, song choices, everything ect. The person before me was a dictator and did not get band involvement... her motto is "this is that, PERIOD, end of discussion".... she is not on the island anymore!

Archived