"Everybody wants to Rule the World" end guitar solo.....

New Trail

• Moderators

Wow... I used to sing that song in a cover band when it came out. That wasn't easy to sing either. The falsetto bits in each phrase. On an off night? Not pretty...

Yeah, that guitar work smokes. I also love the little guitar motif he plays at the end of the middle solo right before going back into the chorus...

• Members

We're doing it with guitar/bass/drums, and it goes over surprisingly (to me) well. Though the guitarist doesn't like the end solo, so we leave it out. What'ya gonna do....

The trick to getting it to work is to get the bass/drums to groove the pulse. Get that wrong, and it feels like the worlds longest song (speaking from personal experience).

js

• Members

:eek:

"the guitarist doesn't like the end solo" = the guitarist can't play the end solo. Get rid of him. :poke:

Pretty funny - believe me when I say that the solo would be one of the simpler ones that he would play in an evening. He just doesn't like it. I do. But, I haven't worried about it since the women dancing haven't complained about the missing solo.

What's good about my guitar guy is that he's really good at constructing a part that draws on all the key arrangement parts, not only the guitar ones. For Everybody Wants To Rule, most of the parts are synth parts. He makes it work, and for that, I ain't gonna gripe about the solo.

js

• Members

What a great record those guys made. The thing about the guitar solos-they are very very well constructed, brilliant really, but the playing technique isn't that great. It's almost as if a really hip producer or session guy sang/wrote the melodies and then the guitarist played them, or perhaps they are heavily edited. The result is really great to me, but the kinda weak technique makes me wonder about the story behind those solos.

• Moderators

What a great record those guys made. The thing about the guitar solos-they are very very well constructed, brilliant really, but the playing technique isn't that great. It's almost as if a really hip producer or session guy sang/wrote the melodies and then the guitarist played them, or perhaps they are heavily edited. The result is really great to me, but the kinda weak technique makes me wonder about the story behind those solos.

That's a good observation. The technique does make it sort of exciting though. You're holding on waiting for it to derail but it just gets it... great ideas, executed by the seat of his pants.

• Members

That's a good observation. The technique does make it sort of exciting though. You're holding on waiting for it to derail but it
just
gets it... great ideas, executed by the seat of his pants.

Agreed, however it happened, it worked. The guitar solos on that tune are great. That album is a pop masterpiece. Sorta like Cristofer Cross's first record. Bam, here we are to take over the charts, make a ton, and get famous! Write huge hits? Yeah, that's easy!

• Members

That's a good observation. The technique does make it sort of exciting though. You're holding on waiting for it to derail but it
just
gets it... great ideas, executed by the seat of his pants.

Yeah, I like the technique. To me that's as much of the song as the notes.

BTW I had read somewhere that there is a longer verson of the end of that song but as of yet I have been unable to confirm or track it down. I always wonder what happened where it f.a..d...e....d.............

• Members

Fantastic band, solo. They really captured/created a major essence of the 80's

I agree. Just thinking about that song takes me back to elementary school. Another one of their songs that I really like is "Shout." I love the solo in that one as well.

Archived