Ok, good backstage question here-

Kramerguy

• Members

As the original poster says, you can argue that a break of any more thn 15 minutes will result in the crowd getting bored or restless.

On the other hand though, anticipation can be good in building the atmosphere for the 2nd set.

You need to have sown some excitement into the initial set though of course or else the crowd is unlikely to care...

I'd say 30 minutes is the ideal length of break with sets no longer than 1 hr 15

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Friday night our gig went 10-11:15 first set - 11:35-12:35 second set - 1:05 - 1:35 3rd set. We "prepared the crowd" for the short third set with "Hey we're gonna do a few more tunes". It worked out really well. I think we're going to stick to this basic formula moving forward (obviously depending on the crowd, etc.)

• Members

Everyone tells me the standard is 45 minutes on, 15 minutes off. But, it always seems like it translates to 45-50 minutes on, 25-30 minutes off. I had some friends come out to the last gig and they said "you guys take a lot of breaks". We happened to play a little longer (60 minutes) for our first set so the guys thought we should take a longer break (30 minutes)... everyone left.

Honestly, for a four hour (240 minutes) I'd prefer something like 75 minutes playing, 15 minute break, 75 minutes playing, 15 minute break, 60 minutes playing. I like to play and would rather be playing than standing around, but the rest of guys are old so maybe 75 minutes is too long for them to stand up or something.

this is a part that gets me, I agree with you - but I wonder WHY these guys want to break so long.. One band-mate says 15 minutes isn't long enough to take a leak and get a drink, and there is a point that some bartenders will IGNORE band members until all other customers are satisfied.. (although that's not normally the case). I've held up a break once or twice due to that, or waiting in line at the bathroom.. but again, it's not common.

I discussed this topic with them the other night at practice, and they just don't get it. I think to them it's more of a hobby, weekend thing, we all got day jobs, right? So take a break and pretend to be rock stars, cause at the end of the night, everyone is gone, and we're all packing gear.

The fantasy of being a rockstar is far better than the reality. If only my wife realized that :p

• Members

Hey don't be hating on us drummers because we get to sit. Depending on what style of music we are playing it's not that easy to swing your arms around for 60+ mins straight.

Our wrists, forearms, elbows, shoulders, ankles, calves and knees (depending on your kick drum style) are definitely getting a workout all night long. There is a reason a lot of drummers have low body fat, we sweat it off.
:p

In defense of drummers (how did it come to this), I must point out that Lance Armstrong also works sitting down. I think he gets a workout. Hmm, I wonder if the best drummers take EPO and steroids?--it would explain a lot.

In response to the original post, 45 on and 15 off seems to be the norm around here. Bands who can read the room and go long when appropriate get hired back. Bands who spend more than 15-17 minutes on break don't.

• Members

Our usual gig is 9:30 to close (usually 1:30 with a half hour for encore songs that people demand to hear before the 2:00 close)

4 sets total, average is 40-45 a set, 10-15 a break....depending on tempo, how many are on the floor at the end of the song, crowd interaction, etc.

Another for the bar/soundguy almost instantly playing music when we announce we're taking a 10-15.

BTW, I'm the drummer and work (almost) harder than anyone else on the stage. Thinking the guy who is playing guitar, being the frontman and 'first-string leader' is doing a whole hell of a lot too!

• Members

Forgive an old man reminiscing. . . . .

1969. We played "The Intermission" in the combat zone in Boston for two weeks. Six sets a night, seven nights a week, plus three hours Saturday afternoon. 45-15. The guy's standing by the juke box and pulls the plug at EXACTLY fifteen minutes . . . and you'd better be ready to count it off.

Good for working in new band member(s) . . . . .

The "Combat Zone" !! Wow, I haven't heard that term for that lower Washington St area in years! (near the old Essex St. Orange Line Stop, right?)

We old...

Archived