Practice tonight?

sickman

• Members

... of course not. But, I did find out a fill in bass player we have in March has requested we learn five new songs when he plays with us (2 ZZ Top, 1 SRV, 2 Thin Lizzy). If we did learn them it would be five songs more than ones we play that we play by my "suggestion".

• Members

... of course not. But, I did find out a fill in bass player we have in March has requested we learn five new songs when he plays with us (2 ZZ Top, 1 SRV, 2 Thin Lizzy). If we did learn them it would be five songs more than ones we play that we play by my "suggestion".

You know, we kid a lot about me being the destroyer of bands and what not, but you need to realize this band has done been destroyed. Not by my hand, though.

• Members

You know, we kid a lot about me being the destroyer of bands and what not, but you need to realize this band has done been destroyed. Not by my hand, though.

Hahaha. It's hardly destroyed. We could never practice again and still play one gig a month. Which actually would be find with me because I could attempt to put something together. I only wish some of my friends I grew up playing music with lived close enough to do something on a regular basis.

I'm also building my own PA, so soon I will be ready to dominate every corner bar paying bands $200!!! ;) I decided to day on the way to work I'm going to purchase some monitors soon. I didn't skimp when it came to the mains, but I probably will on the monitors.

• Members

The payoff is definitely worth the (minimal) work put in.

So then IMO you need to just accept your role and the direction of the band and have fun. At the same time, network with other musicians and keep your ears open. This could be a stepping stone to something better.

• Members

So then IMO you need to just accept your role and the direction of the band and have fun. At the same time, network with other musicians and keep your ears open. This could be a stepping stone to something better.

That's definitely how I see it. These are all nice guys, too... no drama.

• Members

If you read a lot of my posts I might come off as negative/complaining, but I'm not really complaining. The payoff is definitely worth the (minimal) work put in. ...

Ok...I guess I was hearing a lot of unhappiness coming from you regarding the band (as you suggested, in a number of posts) but I must have been misinterpreting you. If status quo is cool, then rawk on!

• Members

Ok...I guess I was hearing a lot of unhappiness coming from you regarding the band (as you suggested, in a number of posts) but I must have been misinterpreting you. If status quo is cool, then rawk on!

I think trickyboy has got the right idea. I just need to do some more networking outside of this group.

• Members

I think trickyboy has got the right idea. I just need to do some more networking outside of this group.

Yup.

A "good enough" gig might offend sensibilities, but there are real benefits to getting your name out there vs. just pulling the plug and staying at home because the quality is not up to your standards or whatever.

Of course: everyone has their limit and it's no fun to get up on stage with a band that sucks (not saying yours does)

• Members

Another Wed, next gig is not to the 27th. No word on practice. I'm not planning on it.
:thu:

Are you complaining or bragging? Your posts are starting to confuse me.

You start out with what sounds an awful lot like a complaint, then defend the situation when people tell you to quit.

Then you complain again a week later in the same thread.

What is it? Do you love this band or hate it?

• Members

Are you complaining or bragging? Your posts are starting to confuse me.

You start out with what sounds an awful lot like a complaint, then defend the situation when people tell you to quit.

Then you complain again a week later in the same thread.

What is it? Do you love this band or hate it?

I'm definitely not bragging, not really complaining either. Probably just over evaluating my own self importance and lack the motivation to start my own blog. :idea:

Also, I do like to get outside opinions. I would like to play more and other suggested starting a side project. It was not really something I was considering, but after thinking about it it does make good sense. I'm starting to put together my own PA, so that's no longer an issue. I know a couple people who I'd like to play with, whether or not they are interested would be a different story.

One singer in particular, but last time I talked to him he said he was playing with a band that was doing Kenny Loggins and stuff by that duo where the one guy looks like Gary from the Stern Show. I'm not sure if he picked this stuff out as he was more into modern and 90s rock when I was playing with him. That band basically had a setlist laid out and we both had to play what they told us. It didn't last long and, IMO, he was good enough where it would be worth building 4 sets around him. My biggest concern would be finding a bassist and drummer who are (a) not crazy and (b) would actually put in the effort to learn more than standard bar band material.

• Members

I'm definitely not bragging, not really complaining either. Probably just over evaluating my own self importance and lack the motivation to start my own blog.
:idea:

Also, I do like to get outside opinions. I would like to play more and other suggested starting a side project. It was not really something I was considering, but after thinking about it it does make good sense. I'm starting to put together my own PA, so that's no longer an issue. I know a couple people who I'd like to play with, whether or not they are interested would be a different story.

One singer in particular, but last time I talked to him he said he was playing with a band that was doing Kenny Loggins and stuff by that duo where the one guy looks like Gary from the Stern Show. I'm not sure if he picked this stuff out as he was more into modern and 90s rock when I was playing with him. That band basically had a setlist laid out and we both had to play what they told us. It didn't last long and, IMO, he was good enough where it would be worth building 4 sets around him. My biggest concern would be finding a bassist and drummer who are (a) not crazy and (b) would actually put in the effort to learn more than standard bar band material.

From my experience, Part B is more difficult than Part A.

• Members

From my experience, Part B is more difficult than Part A.

I don't know... I have met some crazy people the two years since I moved here. Granted, most of them were bandleaders and only one of those was a drummer. But, we're talking the kind of people I don't want to know where I live because they'll show up one day asking to borrow money. This is assuming they could talk someone into giving them a ride since they either can't drive or don't own a vehicle.

• Members

Yeah... Hall and Oates. He sent me that e-mail and I was thinking "WTF... I thought this guy liked modern rock type stuff??" He was good enough I'd actually go check his band out, but he didn't say they were playing anywhere. He did invite me out to the practice, but I declined since they weren't looking for a guitarist... I'd rather show up to a gig.

Archived