Allman Brothers on Jimmy Fallon last night: Phoning it in?

New Trail

• Members

The Allman Brothers played Whippin Post on Jimmy Fallon last night. Now I realize that it's difficult for a band like the Allman Bros. to jump in in a short segment and do a song that is usually a 20 minute piece and fit it into four minutes, but I didn't get anything from them last night. I thought they were all phoning it in. The rhythm section and Oteil sounded fine, but Greg's vocals sounded bad. And Derek and Warrens guitars both sounded terrible, Warrens especially, and then they turned him off completely, which sounded weird during his solo, but which may have been a good thing.

• Members

Anyone see when Rush did their live TV performance (I believe it was their only 2nd live TV performance in their many years) on Steven Colbert last year?

They did Tom Sawyer and sounded phenominal, but during 3/4's the way through the song Colbert jumped in front of them doing some BS trying to get them to quit. You'd think that someone would have realized that it's a 7 minute damn song before they booked them. I was pissed about that. Anyways, rant over.

They really sounded good though.

• Members

The problem with network TV isn't the studio sound so much as the retransmission equipment.

And yes, the ABB is losing it (IMO) and should have hung it up long ago. They still have their moments, though, which is what keeps them going, I suppose.

• Members

I have seen the ABB, the Derek Trucks Band, and Gov't Mule a combined 20 times the past 5-6 years. A few times I was very close to the stage for the Derek Trucks Band and Gov't Mule. One time with Trucks band Warren was playing with them and I was as almost as close as you could get in a bar. Trust me, Warren and Derek were not phoning it in. It's possible they could be sick of playing with the ABB though and would rather be doing their own music. Look at a typical Mule setlist, it is pretty diverse.

These are two guys I have no problem with giving my money so they can continue to play music.

• Members

I have read that bands can't use their own sound people for TV shows. The labor union dictates that outside sound technicians can't come on the set. Therefore, you have unfamiliar sound engineers trying to manage things on the fly.

• Moderators

The Allman Brothers played Whippin Post on Jimmy Fallon last night. Now I realize that it's difficult for a band like the Allman Bros. to jump in in a short segment and do a song that is usually a 20 minute piece and fit it into four minutes, but I didn't get anything from them last night. I thought they were all phoning it in. The rhythm section and Oteil sounded fine, but Greg's vocals sounded bad. And Derek and Warrens guitars both sounded terrible, Warrens especially, and then they turned him off completely, which sounded weird during his solo, but which may have been a good thing.

:confused:

They sounded freakin' great to me. I'd love to get a {censored}ty guitar sound like either of those guys that night. Greg seems a little tired but man... they smoke still.

• Members

I see what is going on here. You are so used to bland appearances on late night, and talent-less faces thrown at you, that you don't understand. Soul. The band has it, its kind of weird to see and makes you feel kind of off at first, but soon you'll realize it much better than watching posers.

• Members

I have read that bands can't use their own sound people for TV shows. The labor union dictates that outside sound technicians can't come on the set. Therefore, you have unfamiliar sound engineers trying to manage things on the fly.

• Members

Wow. I don't see ANYTHING wrong with that performance.

Gregg was in fine voice... both solos echoed the past, but also showed the unique style of each player... they kept it "short and sweet" in what could have been a 15 minute jam.

I don't know... I guess I'm just a fan. I loved it!

More ABB on TV!

For what it's worth, I think THIS version of the ABB is the best since Duane's passing. Dickey, for all of his good points, never had the same "partnership" with any of the other guitarists in the band after Duane. He would step on the other guy's solos and it was more the "Dickey Betts show" than the ABB.

Warren and Derek on the other hand absolutely respect each other and play off of each other's creativity and ideas in the same way Duane and Dickey used to. They also let each other have their time to express their artistry and skills each night.

Again... MORE ABB ON TV!

M

• Members

I don't get the criticism either. I watched the clip and, considering this is a one-shot, one-song play on a tv set with the union sound techs, its pretty amazing stuff. And to say that Gregg Allman's voice sounded bad, well I hope I can simply speak by the time I'm his age and done as many gigs as him--not that I ever will.

I think someone else hit it on the head: the OP hasn't been exposed to enough classic, kick-ass bands like this. I confess to bias as a long-time ABB fan, but this was a damn good performance.

• Members

I thought Derek did a great job of capturing the essence of Duane. In fact, if someone put some pork chop sideburns on him, he's look a little like Duane.

But that band isn't the ABB, to me. Replacing one guy, I could see. Two was stretching it for me. Now replacing both guitar players and the bass from the original lineup just makes it not the ABB. It's sort of like that band that called itself the James Gang carrying on without Joe Walsh, or Deep Purple without their bass player or Richie Blackmore.

• Members

I've long suspected that people's negative perceptions of aging rocker performances are more influenced by the visual aspect than the actual audio.

It would be interesting to take an audio clip of that performance and tell people it is a live bootleg from an earlier period in time, and see how they respond to it

I'm going to LISTEN to that performance now, without watching any video, and see what my perceptions of it are.

I rarely watch musical performances anyway, and would recommend others to try and do the same: it can really be eye-opening (no pun intended) to force yourself to listen and not watch.

Isn't that what great music is all about, listening?

• Members

I thought Derek did a great job of capturing the essence of Duane. In fact, if someone put some pork chop sideburns on him, he's look a little like Duane.

But that band isn't the ABB, to me. Replacing one guy, I could see. Two was stretching it for me. Now replacing both guitar players and the bass from the original lineup just makes it not the ABB. It's sort of like that band that called itself the James Gang carrying on without Joe Walsh, or Deep Purple without their bass player or Richie Blackmore.

I see your point, but I have to point out that as long as Gregg's in the band... he has every right to keep the ABB moniker. He's the voice of the band through their whole career, wrote many of their famous tunes, and creates a lot of the ABB "sound".

Once he's gone, I don't expect the others will continue ala Lynyrd Skynyrd.

M

• Members

I saw them live about a year ago and they were great. I can easily imagine that they aren't the type of band to do well in a TV studio situation. Also, if they are in the middle of the Beacon theater shows this appearance might have been squeezed in between nightly shows, which are at least 3 hours long.

In response to BlueStrat, I think the ABB sounds more like, and improvises more like, the ABB I originally knew and loved more than the Dickie Betts inclusive versions of the band after Duane and Berry died.

• Members

I'm listening right now, and it's pretty much kicking my ass.

Except for the nasty Youtube flangey-ass compression that always pisses me off. :mad:

Damn, Oteil is kicking ass too: check out the little breakdown he does going into the second solo section. :thu:

I heard no dropouts whatsoever in any of the guitars either.

And no, I didn't watch any of it: all ears.

Great performance. :thu:

• Members

Well, I was wrong! And I admit it! I watched it again with different equipment and the sound was all there and 100% better. Warren's solo was unique and unexpected. However, let me just say that in my eyes none of the post-Duane and Berry versions of the band will ever take the place of the original band, but that's just me. I know people who think this current version of the band is the best ever. Either way I hope they keep going as long as they can. When Gregg retires, there's always Devon to carry on.:)

Archived