I think we've hit our groove

TrickyBoy

• Members

For those who don't know, 6 months ago, my band was a "me too" cover band in a town full of really good cover bands. We played well, people liked us, but we really didn't have anything that set us apart from the other bands. We were a power trio of pretty good musicians, but the stage show was lacking and my vocal ability really limited the songs we could do.

So, last October(ish) we did a search for a new front person and lucked into finding Meagan via Craigslist (go figure). At the same time, I personally invested approximately $2500 into upgrading the PA and buying stage lights. We've played out a bunch here this year and I can really see the hard work and $$$ investment paying off.

We played a gig to about 350 people this Friday which was a big deal to us. In addition to the crowd, the main agent here in town as well as the owner of one of the best (and highest paying) rooms in town came out to see us. Verdict is still out on the agent, but the club owner booked us immediately for our highest pay to date!!

Am I posting this to brag.... Maybe a little :D. I mean it's all I really want to talk about right now. But what really prompted me to do this, is that I believe a lot of the reason we were able to do so well so quickly has to do with my participation here at BWTB. Seeing what has worked (and what hasn't worked) for other bands around the country has eliminated a ton of the trial-and-error that would have occurred without this forum. I just hope the techie guru's (I'm using that term loosely) don't F*** it all up!

Anyway's thanks guys and gals. Here's some pics if you're interested.

BTW - My old sig is back and everything... Whoopie!

• Members

brag all ya want!

It's an awesome feeling when things are going good. I have said it before and I'll say it now: I learned a TON just be reading posts here. I have cut & pasted and linked discussions here to other band members if it was something that pertained to our situation.

BTW it's good to be home.

• Members

That's great man. It takes, time, risk and investment. You don't always have to be the best band on the block musically... you just have to provide and entertaining package that keeps people coming back for more and more. And where crowds draw that pay will seemingly increase. So those investments you've made early on with pay off tenfold in years to come. :thu:

• Members

Very nice!

It looks like you have one light stand. Is that correct? I'm considering buying some lights in a smaller package and wanted something other than the 4 bar. THose color strips look nice but I didn't want to carry a huge light rig.

• Members

Very nice!

It looks like you have one light stand. Is that correct? I'm considering buying some lights in a smaller package and wanted something other than the 4 bar. THose color strips look nice but I didn't want to carry a huge light rig.

What I did was took a single T bar, two 5' sections of 1" pipe and a coupler. I couple the two 5' sections together to make a 10' span and attach it to the top of the T. Kind of an instant truss.

I can send you pics if you want.

Archived