Geezer cover band question: Which is lamer?

• Members

Not so. I responded four posts later . . . something about emphasizing playing confidently with trained musicians.

The musical deficiencies comment is spot on. If you're thinking like a professional, you look at challenging music as an opportunity to learn something. Every band I've auditioned with recently has played a genre or style that is new to me in some way.

If you're thinking like a weekend warrior, there's less at stake unless you really need the second income, so a lot of folks that I've run into at least want to stay in their comfort zone and don't really want to hear what you can add to the mix.

Agreed.

You're further along musically than I am, so I can only imagine how tough it is for you to find folks on your level to play with.

Reminds me of the old engineering maxim: water seeks its lowest level.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed.

You're further along musically than I am, so I can only imagine how tough it is for you to find folks on your level to play with.

I'm not really that advanced in that I don't have one style that I can really nail . . . . just a lot of things that I like, but haven't had a chance to explore in depth in a group setting. I envy guys who have common musical roots and want to all grow in the same direction.

• Members

Agreed.

You're further along musically than I am, so
I can only imagine how tough it is for you to find folks on your level to play with

Not sure about the water level,, but to have it be fun, people need to know how to keep a beat with the band, play at a volume that fits in the mix well and have vocals that are on pitch. If you have those basic skill sets mastered you can do ok as a band. Any one of those missing and its a cluster muster. You can always find material that average musicans can perform and sound good if you have the basic skill sets of playing in a band under control. Missing basic skill sets make it unworkable.

• Members

Not sure about the water level,, but to have it be fun, people need to know how to keep a beat with the band, play at a volume that fits in the mix well and have vocals that are on pitch. If you have those basic skill sets mastered you can do ok as a band. Any one of those missing and its a cluster muster. You can always find material that average musicans can perform and sound good if you have the basic skill sets of playing in a band under control. Missing basic skill sets make it unworkable.

But those things you are speaking of, by definition, make you a better than average musician.....

It's all important, and the proof is in the sound.

I can't control or force my band - hell, who can?

We're kidding ourselves if we think we can get away with the Buddy Rich style of dressing down folks for screwing something up IMO.

• Members

But those things you are speaking of, by definition, make you a better than average musician

It's all important, and the proof is in the sound.

I can't control or force my band - hell, who can?

We're kidding ourselves if we think we can get away with the Buddy Rich style of dressing down folks for screwing something up IMO.

actually those are the things that make you a musician. If you dont have those , you wont ever get into the the circle. You will always be an outsider.

• Members

actually those are the things that make you a musician. If you dont have those , you wont ever get into the the circle. You will always be an outsider.

Well yeah - except for the vocal part.

Jaco Pastorius wasn't a particularly good singer.

But he was one Hell of a musician: one of the best ever, a freaking madman genius that changed the way people play the bass forever.

A man's gotta know his limitations.

• Members

Well yeah - except for the vocal part.

Jaco Pastorius wasn't a particularly good singer.

But he was one Hell of a musician: one of the best ever, a freaking madman genius that changed the way people play the bass forever.

A man's gotta know his limitations.

I musican that cant sing is smart enough to stay a way from the mic:idea: They are also smart enough to stay away from the band that doesnt have a person who can sing on pitch.

• Members

Hmm, so if I've followed this thread correctly... geezers are lame. Kids are lame. Classic rock is tired and sucks. Modern music sucks. Cover bands suck. Attempts to make any new original music suck.

Very informative thread. Anything else I should know? :lol:

• Members
Hmm, so if I've followed this thread correctly... geezers are lame. Kids are lame. Classic rock is tired and sucks. Modern music sucks. Cover bands suck. Attempts to make any new original music suck.

Very informative thread. Anything else I should know?
:lol:

Yup there is no gravity ,, everything sucks.

• Members

Let's see:

A jack going out on a main that I paid for while still splitting band pay evenly is lame, but the cost of doing business....

Out of focus band video is lame.

Running sound from the stage when the volumes aren't consistent is lame.

Not getting paid for a week because the owner got so drunk he left early and never came back is lame.

Having your girlfriend show up just as you are ready to start a set, and getting lost on the way to the band area is lame.

Knocking my bass stand over and smashing a dent in the headstock of my 2 week old 1, 200+ dollar Jazz bass is lame.

That's just one gig: it's still a fun ride.

• Members

That's great to be able to get gigs that will let you do that. But really, if you don't care whether you gig or not, then it doesn't matter, does it? As a side note, did you ever wonder if (your favorite band) gets tired of playing (his biggest hit) but knows his fans want to hear it, when he would rather play just what he wants to play?

First off, I was speaking about a hypothetical guy that's been doing this for fourty years and just wants to kind of cruise now. I was saying that I understand that.

Second, If you are good at what you play, even if it's so called "washed up classic rock". you're only talking about finding a couple of venues that book you once every couple of months. Two of those and you're gigging once a month which is a pretty common goal for most "part time, geezer hobby bands.

I don't know exactly what is meant by "washed up" Classic Rock. If you are talking strictly about bands playing same Ol' same Ol' then the point might be well taken. No argument. But, you can play a handful of gigs of classic rock, play nothing but great songs and never play the same song twice if you don't want to. There's still an audience for it. Maybe more so now then at any time ever before.

And your level of "success" depends on what your goals are.

If you're trying to make a living or play the A List venues that are most frequented by the "young crowd", that's not going to happen.

But there are a bunch of good size bars around here that if you play three post 90's songs in a row your going to start to clear the place out.

Of course this is all just my $ .02

• Members

What I have learned from this thread is from the viewers point of view anything that they can't appreciate sucks. These people can't understand the different between thier opinion and verifiable facts. You can't argue with someone that can't tell the difference between an opinon and a fact.

Max

• Members

Nope. I think you nailed it. :D

• Members

....I don't know exactly what is meant by "washed up" Classic Rock....

That was another poster's phrase, however, to me a good example of "washed up Classic Rock" would be half-assed versions of any Lynyrd Skynyrd song, and half-assed = a bar version of the song = "we didn't actually learn the real parts on this song, we just played it/jammed on it and got thru it based on what we can actually remember of it without any attempt to nail any of the actual parts or sounds."

• Members

That was another poster's phrase, however, to me a good example of "washed up Classic Rock" would be half-assed versions of any Lynyrd Skynyrd song, and half-assed = a bar version of the song = "we didn't actually learn the real parts on this song, we just played it/jammed on it and got thru it based on what we can actually remember of it without any attempt to nail any of the actual parts or sounds."

face the reality ,, thats the world of bar bands. Take the key solos for A LS song. Guys that can nail those note for note aint playing for bar band wages ,, they are workin a road band for a big act, are in a big festival or event band . or are studio musicans or doing a solo piano bar gig. You wont find those guys playing the local watering hole on a sat night. You sure wont find them doing a 4 band original band gig either. The old we do it just like the record typically only ring true after the crowd has 6 beers lol.

• Members
a bar version of the song = "we didn't actually learn the real parts on this song, we just played it/jammed on it and got thru it based on what we can actually remember of it without any attempt to nail any of the actual parts or sounds."

:facepalm:

• Members

You are describing any "half-assed" band whether it's a bunch of 40-50 yr. olds butchering Skynrd, Doobie Bros., & Eagles or a bunch of 20 somethings butchering STP, 3 Days Grace & Pheonix (or whoever).

Lame is Lame. I don't think age or song selection has all that much to do with it.

Archived