Semi O/T - Just listening

• Members

So today I'm just listening to some songs that my band is covering / I'm learning, going to rehearse about 10 or so for the first time tonight..

But anyways, I'm sitting here at work, have a nice set of headphones, sweet sound system for a laptop at a job :) and just listening .. found myself cranking up and rocking out to tunes such as kate perry-kissed a girl, aerosmith sweet emotions, peter gabriel sledgehammer, and even miley cyrus 'see you again' LOL. These tunes really all got something that makes you want to totally crank them and rock out..

It's been a LONG time since I actually just phased out the world, put on the music, cranked it up, closed my eyes and just enjoyed it. Thought I'd get all sentimental and share :thu:

• Members

Last time I did that was sometime, last summer, around the fourth of July.

Wife and kids were gone to the beach.

I set up a chaise lounge underneath the big shady pecan tree, in my backyard... got real {censored}in' high with a little bud and some ice cold mezcal, and cranked up my Yes folder on the iPod, which I had plugged my Audio-Technica ATH40's into.

It was like...real groovy. slow_nod_smiley.gif

• Members

It does seem hard to find time these days to just shut out the world, sit back, relax, and immerse yourself in music. I used to love doing that, at home and at work. When I worked in data entry many years ago, I was able to listen to headphones and my CD player while I typed. Got a lot of great music into my head back then, 8 hours a day and maybe 1-2 more hours at home.

Ironically enough, I recently bought a bunch of CDs and I have yet to hear them in this way. Instead, I have had them blaring away at work on a boombox in a very noisy environment (my current day job) and I'm so far away from it, I only get a sense of what I'm actually listening to. I definitely need to take the time to just listen to them without any outside interference.

I'm going to try to make an effort to just take some time out for music listening again. Thanks for the reminder just how wonderful that experience can be.

• Members

:D
"Beyond and Before", "Close to the Edge", and "Awaken" were simply
transcendant
, that day.

:lol:

I doubt I would have had the patience to listen to "Yes" back in the day without herbal supplements.

Even so, no amount of herbal essence could compel me to listen to "Tormato" or whatever the hell that THING was called.

• Members

:lol:

I doubt I would have had the patience to listen to "Yes" back in the day without herbal supplements.

Even so, no amount of herbal essence could compel me to listen to "Tormato" or whatever the hell that THING was called.

Hey...it's got umm...one or two good songs on it. :cry:

• Members

So today I'm just listening to some songs that my band is covering / I'm learning, going to rehearse about 10 or so for the first time tonight..

But anyways, I'm sitting here at work, have a nice set of headphones, sweet sound system for a laptop at a job
:)
and just listening .. found myself cranking up and rocking out to tunes such as kate perry-kissed a girl, aerosmith sweet emotions, peter gabriel sledgehammer, and even miley cyrus 'see you again' LOL. These tunes really all got something that makes you want to totally crank them and rock out..

It's been a LONG time since I actually just phased out the world, put on the music, cranked it up, closed my eyes and just enjoyed it. Thought I'd get all sentimental and share
:thu:

Amy was just saying the same thing... she never gets to listen to music for herself, because she's always listening to potential material for the band.

I bought Slash's solo album as soon as it was released, and I found myself seeking out tracks that we could add to our songlist. :facepalm:

I need to take a day and just play nothing but Rolling Stones, Van Halen, Neil Young, REM, and the Cure. That will take me to my happy place. :)

BTW - "See You Again" went over VERY well for us last spring.

• Members

Amy was just saying the same thing... she never gets to listen to music for herself, because she's always listening to potential material for the band.

I bought Slash's solo album as soon as it was released, and I found myself seeking out tracks that we could add to our songlist.
:facepalm:

I hear ya. I've been in heavy "chick-song" mode that last two weeks since we added our new singer. I've been scouring the pop radio stations and listening to all sorts of Pink, Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry etc albums I never thought I'd be doing.

Crazy thing is how much I'm LIKING a lot of this stuff....

But coming home last night and making dinner with the wife while listening to an old Rickie Lee Jones CD was a welcome respite from the 'work'....

• Members

Pink is really really good, one of the only acts I'd actually pay to see of todays music. Had a great time learning Sober and Please Don't leave me. Don't know if we'll play them but I liked em so much I learned em anyway.

Archived