Keyboardist instead of Bassist?

TroyK

• Members

In my experience, bass players are much more likely to be anal-retentive pricks than keyboard players. And also, key-bass players don't tend to overplay in the bass register. If they're good-I.E., musical- they just hold down the bottom end- with good feel. Most bass players don't seem to think that's enough (unless they're good too, of course;).

And tuba players blow all those other mother{censored}ers away, of course.

• Members

Hey, so I'm starting a new band (progressive/experimental rock). I was wondering if it is possible to achieve a full sounding three piece without a bassist. I'm planning on guitar, keyboard and drums. The reason that I've given up looking for a bassist is that all of the bassists that i know in the area either play funk, pop-rock or metal. Also are there any bands that use keyboards instead of bass that I could check out?

Your emphasis is interesting because most guys looking for LH bass are trying to put together as small a group as possible to maximize their income and be able to play small venues. Your emphasis seems to be on a "full sound" and on the lack of a qualified bass player. The "full sound" part is not a problem, assuming the right keyboard and amplification. The bigger question is this prospective member's role in the band. S/he will likely define your sound as distinct from other local groups more than you or the drummer. That doesn't necessarily make him the default leader, but definitely a co-conspirator, so to speak.

• Members

But Wade! Alot of bass players DO overplay. Can't say I have seen too many key-bass players do that- if anything, they over-simplify.

And I'm not too worried about credibility- I don't hang out here for credibility. I have all the credibility I need locally, among my peers, where it counts. I refer you to my new sig if you don't believe me.

• Members

Would like to add that in my experience, most key-bass players don't have as much "grease" to their bass playing, as a good bass guitar player. But that's not a limitation of their instrument.

More music utilizing key-bass:

Maceo Parker (James Brown's sax player)- most often used organist Larry Goldings. Didn't seem to hurt his funk.

Joshua Redmon and Elastic- Sam Yahel playing LH bass on a Korg MS2000

Benevento-Russo- keyboard/drums duo

• Members

But Wade! Alot of bass players DO overplay. Can't say I have seen too many key-bass players do that- if anything, they over-simplify.

Everybody overplays. :)

Listen to Gary Wright's keybass lines, or Ray Manzarek's, for examples of overplaying and not letting the line breathe.

• Members

Everybody overplays.
:)

Listen to Gary Wright's keybass lines, or Ray Manzarek's, for examples of overplaying and not letting the line breathe.

Call me crazy - but unless you're talking about Gary Wright or Ray Manzarek playing covers of somebody else's tunes - I'm of the opinion that it's not possible for the orginal artist to "overplay".

I realize it's semantics - but to me criticism of the original artist's playing is a discussion of taste. I see overplaying as the embellishments that get added by folks covering the tunes.

Just my .02

• Members

I can deal with decent triggered bass or keyboard bass, but most of the time you encounter left-hand bass it creates a very obvious lack/difference in the sound that could only be filled with a real bass guitar.

The public (those who's staying and enjoying the show matters most to the bar managers) wants to hear the familiar. That may make it boring, but it is the truth. If you are playing original music, you'll have an already existing set of barriers to get through, so why not compound that with doing something completely different..

Most of the time it makes me cringe. but that is my 2 cents.

• Members

I can deal with decent triggered bass or keyboard bass, but most of the time you encounter left-hand bass it creates a very obvious lack/difference in the sound that could only be filled with a real bass guitar.

There's a lack only if you think the "sound envelope" of a bass guitar is a critical element of the bass part of a song. There may be some songs with signature bass parts that might be noticeable, but most tunes simply don't require it.

The most important role of a bass player, beyond getting the right notes in the chart, is to sync with the drummer to create a groove. That's what dancers, listeners, and critical musicians respond to, not the unique sound characteristics of a particular bass guitar, as opposed to other electric basses, upright bass, tuba, or key bass.

I played a Hohner key bass and B3 in a drums/ keys duo three nights a week for a year and a half. People danced; we got repeat bookings; it works.

Archived