If you're boringly grown up...

jclements

• Members

There should be a craigslist thread, source of much entertainment...

Among the highlights of this earnest seeker of fellows...

"I know, I know...posting an ad on this site asking for musicians is borderline pointless. I've tried before and have never found anything remotely close to what I was looking for. But I'm giving it another shot, mostly out of desperation I guess. "

"I'm looking for any musicians in their EARLY TO MID TWENTIES (if you are over 30, have a family/kids or are otherwise boringly grown-up, pleeeaase DON'T respond) to play with, particularly drummers, bass players songwriters and rhythm guitar players, that share similar musical interests."

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/muc/1915013857.html

• Members

Whatever... at least he knows what he wants... saves everybody time and hassle.

If you actually read it closely, he didn't claim that anyone over 30 was boring and had no fun. He's just saying it's an automatic disqualifier, for whatever reason.

In all likelihood he's a punk-ass loser anyway, if he has to post on craigslist to find kids his own age to jam with.

• Members

In all seriousness, I'm SO glad that I didn't put an age requirement in the ad that we put up to find our singer. I never would have thought that I'd be playing with a singer that's 18 years younger than me. But dammit I'm sure happy I am now.

• Members

In all seriousness, I'm SO glad that I didn't put an age requirement in the ad that we put up to find our singer. I never would have thought that I'd be playing with a singer that's 18 years younger than me. But dammit I'm sure happy I am now.

I'm with you in this regard. I wouldn't put ANY sort of restrictions like age in an ad looking for a player. While I may have a pretty good idea of the age/look of the player I'm looking for going in - I'd much rather spend the time sorting out the ones that won't fit after I've heard them play/sing than have a potential "diamond" not respond because I arbitrarily set an age limit in my add.

• Members

I'm with you in this regard. I wouldn't put ANY sort of restrictions like age in an ad looking for a player. While I may have a pretty good idea of the age/look of the player I'm looking for going in - I'd much rather spend the time sorting out the ones that won't fit
after
I've heard them play/sing than have a potential "diamond" not respond because I arbitrarily set an age limit in my add.

Not to hijack the thread, but these responses relate to how I put my new band together.

When I was mulling putting together my new classic alternative band, age was not a factor - at first. But I was absolutely looking for a certain kind of player, and I figured if they were going to be into this music, they should have at least experienced it, first hand. So yeah - I decided that I wanted to play with musicians who were roughly my age, and had at least a passing stab at playing this music, when it was new.

Secondly, I knew I needed players who were going to play the song correctly, and not get stupid, and decide to get "creative" on a song like "I Wanna Be Sedated", because it was too simplistic for them.

That eliminated a LOT of people I know, right off the bat.

Third - I needed guys who can rock - who know how to put it over.

I don't care what they look like, as long as they don't mind selling the {censored} out of the song...acting goofy, engaging the crowd, and like I said - just being able to put it over. This eliminated a good many more people.

Fourth - I needed people who, besides being reliable onstage, were just as reliable and affable, off the stage.

I don't babysit grown men, anymore...never again.

More musicians missed the cut.

So I wound up with my final cut.

First guy in, was a drummer who I have only played with live once, but is a good friend. He was working in government service for the military, and moved around a lot, and finally settled down and moved back home, for good. He had been on me for months to play something with him...he just wanted to get back into a band situation again.

He's solid, doesn't play fills where they aren't supposed to go, and he's as laid-back and friendly as you'd ever want to meet.

Plus, he offered up his music room as our rehearsal spot.

Plus he's got some PA. Total WIN.

Finding a guitar player was a little harder.

A few guys were close to what I wanted but there was something missing from their overall bag of tricks. Mostly in the area of singing.

I absolutely wanted everybody in this band to have their "star time".

Then the proverbial light came on, over my head.

The guitarist/singer from my very first band when I moved to Alabama.

This guy is legend around here...slightly reclusive, and so totally self-effacing and "aw-shucks" - but a {censored}ing monster on anything with strings, in literally any style or genre. Truly one of my musical heroes.

But- he's real busy - works full time, got three kids at home, plays solo two or three nights a week, and sometimes on the weekend nights.

I ask him anyway. He's totally flattered - I promise him that rehearsals and gigs will be fully coordinated with everybody's schedule.

I want this band to be something fun that we can look forward to gigging out maybe once or twice a month, at the most. He's a little coy about giving me a definate answer but the next day he tells me he's in, all the way. Now I am really excited...I have my "onstage partner".

Bassist I chose seemed to be into it - he was important because he was going to be our high voice that could cover the U2 and Police stuff.

But he eventually decided he wasn't the guy for us...on the day of our first rehearsal. :mad:

Now...for whatever reason, my elimination process eliminated all other bass players. So we did a little networking, and the guitarist knows a guy who's the main P&W band bassist at the biggest church in Montgomery.

The name rang a bell...he was in a band with the stock manager I worked with, when I was at the music store. Even though he's a little bit older than us, this guy played all that new wave and alt stuff, and I knew he'd be perfect if he could find the time, and if he hadn't given up on playing outside the church. So I called him - he's totally stoked. Couldn't believe that somebody wanted to put a band together like this.

So this Thursday will be our first offical band rehearsal.

I hatched this idea in late May...I hope the wait is worth it.

I suspect it will be. I was able to create a concept and hand pick my bandmates, for the first time in my 25 years of playing.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

• Members

When I say "psychedelic rock" this is what I mean: Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd, MC5, the Stooges, the Flaming Lips, Spacemen 3, 13th Floor Elevators and lesser known bands like Bubble Puppy, Blue Cheer, Fever Tree, Moby Grape, Kaleidoscope (UK) and Tomorrow.

... (if you are over 30, have a family/kids or are otherwise boringly grown-up, pleeeaase DON'T respond) ... If you don't listen to more than one of the bands I mentioned above on a frequent basis, DO NOT REPLY

I answered a craigslist ad a couple years ago and ended up playing for a year with one of these first generation psychedelic players. Mid 60's, family, property, you know, a "boring" guy. But damn, that man can still bring the goods! Not that these veteran players are reading craigslist but they are out there and what a privilege it is to play with an originator and see how it's done first hand.

But you'll never have the chance if you "don't trust anyone over 30".

• Members

But I was absolutely looking for a certain kind of player, and I figured if they were going to be into this music, they should have at least experienced it, first hand. So yeah - I decided that I wanted to play with musicians who were roughly my age, and had at least a passing stab at playing this music, when it was new.

I missed that part. But great minds think alike as they say.

• Members

Not to hijack the thread, but these responses relate to how I put my new band together.

When I was mulling putting together my new classic alternative band, age was not a factor - at first. But I was absolutely looking for a certain kind of player, and I figured if they were going to be into this music, they should have at least experienced it, first hand. So yeah - I decided that I wanted to play with musicians who were roughly my age, and had at least a passing stab at playing this music, when it was new.

Secondly, I knew I needed players who were going to play the song correctly, and not get stupid, and decide to get "creative" on a song like "I Wanna Be Sedated", because it was too simplistic for them.

That eliminated a LOT of people I know, right off the bat.

Third - I needed guys who can rock - who know how to put it over.

I don't care what they look like, as long as they don't mind selling the {censored} out of the song...acting goofy, engaging the crowd, and like I said - just being able to put it over. This eliminated a good many more people.

Fourth - I needed people who, besides being reliable onstage, were just as reliable and affable, off the stage.

I don't babysit grown men, anymore...never again.

More musicians missed the cut.

So I wound up with my final cut.

First guy in, was a drummer who I have only played with live once, but is a good friend. He was working in government service for the military, and moved around a lot, and finally settled down and moved back home, for good. He had been on me for months to play
something
with him...he just wanted to get back into a band situation again.

He's solid, doesn't play fills where they aren't supposed to go, and he's as laid-back and friendly as you'd ever want to meet.

Plus, he offered up his music room as our rehearsal spot.

Plus he's got some PA. Total WIN.

Finding a guitar player was a little harder.

A few guys were close to what I wanted but there was something missing from their overall bag of tricks. Mostly in the area of singing.

I absolutely wanted everybody in this band to have their "star time".

Then the proverbial light came on, over my head.

The guitarist/singer from my very first band when I moved to Alabama.

This guy is legend around here...slightly reclusive, and so totally self-effacing and "aw-shucks" - but a {censored}ing monster on anything with strings, in literally any style or genre. Truly one of my musical heroes.

But- he's real busy - works full time, got three kids at home, plays solo two or three nights a week, and sometimes on the weekend nights.

I ask him anyway. He's totally flattered - I promise him that rehearsals and gigs will be fully coordinated with everybody's schedule.

I want this band to be something fun that we can look forward to gigging out maybe once or twice a month, at the most. He's a little coy about giving me a definate answer but the next day he tells me he's in, all the way. Now I am really excited...I have my "onstage partner".

Bassist I chose seemed to be into it - he was important because he was going to be our high voice that could cover the U2 and Police stuff.

But he eventually decided he wasn't the guy for us...on the
day
of our first rehearsal.
:mad:

Now...for whatever reason, my elimination process eliminated all other bass players. So we did a little networking, and the guitarist knows a guy who's the main P&W band bassist at the biggest church in Montgomery.

The name rang a bell...he was in a band with the stock manager I worked with, when I was at the music store. Even though he's a little bit older than us, this guy played all that new wave and alt stuff, and I knew he'd be perfect if he could find the time, and if he hadn't given up on playing outside the church. So I called him - he's totally stoked. Couldn't believe that somebody wanted to put a band together like this.

So this Thursday will be our first offical band rehearsal.

I hatched this idea in late May...I hope the wait is worth it.

I suspect it will be. I was able to create a concept and hand pick my bandmates, for the first time in my 25 years of playing.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Good luck!

• Moderators

When I was 20, I was happy to play with people in their 30s and 40s. Anybody who was good was all right with me, and so much the better if they had experience that I could benefit from.
:idk:

I was the same way in my 20's.

And now that I'm in my 30's I still don't care (either way) as long as they're decent, responsible people and good players.

People are funny. :idk:

• Members

I'm 40, and play in cover bands, I like playing with people mid 30's - mid 40's as we have similar musical tastes. We jammed with one guy, 50. Good player, but he wanted to play Elvis, beatles, and stuff that just didn't fit in with what we were doing. Needless to say, he didn't last.

It's good to know what you want, in order to save time.

Archived