SETTLE SOMETHING: What chords do you use ?

pickinatit

• Members

I want to play a rocked up version of Olivia-Newton John's hit "MAGIC"

from the movie/play Xanadu.

Anybody play or know that one?

What guitar chords do you use for the intro. and in the breaks.

I get D to G# aug5

or maybe

D to F# m flat5 maj7 (I'll never get our G-players playing THAT one).

Am I making it more complicated then it is ? Can it be as simple as

D to G# (the on-line chord charts have it as just D, but that's TOO simple).

WadeKeys and Rhat....this seems like one for you guys.

• Members

Just bumping this up.

ANYBODY? HELP!!! (with the chords to this song) ???

I'm usually pretty astute at picking songs off, but for some reason, this one has me baffled in a couple of spots....well, no, not baffled really, but somewhat unsure of myself.

• Members

The root of both chords is D (you can hear the guitar in the recording playing d 8th notes over both chords). I literally 15 seconds of listening to it, it simply sounds like D to Db5 with no third in either. The way I'd play it is:

D:

x

x

Db5

x

x

Hope that helps

• Members

Ok, TrickyBoy. That's a confirmation of sorts. Now, I have it like this

X

X

to

X

X

Are you sure you want a major third in there with a flat five?

That's probably going to sound like {censored}; I think I'd be inclined to just mute the major 3rd and play a root, flat five, octave, like this:

X

X

X

I'll go listen to the song now (UGGGHHHH) and see what I hear going on.

If anything, try a minor third with the flat five: an m7b5 chord and see how that sounds.

If you're hearing the fifth alteration correctly, these are your basic choices: diminished or m7b5 - there will be no major 3rd degree in there.

Your chord has the flat7, flat five and a major 3rd if I'm reading it correctly - it should have flat7, flat five and a MINOR 3rd to be a m7b5.

• Members

Personally, I'd keep it with just root 5 then root b5. To me it keeps it cleaner and focus the ear on that 5 to b5 move. Ymmv

Depends on how much you're trying to fill up the space, and whether there is a keyboard playing the line at the same time.

But yeah, root b5 is safe if a bit thin.

• Members

I want to play a rocked up version of Olivia-Newton John's hit "MAGIC"

from the movie/play Xanadu.

Anybody play or know that one?

What guitar chords do you use for the intro. and in the breaks.

I get D to G# aug5

or maybe

D to F# m flat5 maj7 (I'll never get our G-players playing THAT one).

Am I making it more complicated then it is ? Can it be as simple as

D to G# (the on-line chord charts have it as just D, but that's TOO simple).

WadeKeys and Rhat....this seems like one for you guys.

Alright, I listened to it. What I tried to do is pick out the high register stuff the keyboardist was doing.

EG: "Believe Your Dreams"

If you want to do a chiming guitar part that duplicates those keys (I would suggest that, strongly!) then try these notes.

I worked it up by ear and haven't bothered to put the theory analysis on it, but give it a try over those keyboard parts on the original and

you'll hear the high register notes he's doing....I play these fingerstyle so you can get that chiming sound like the keys on the original:

1st chord (D5):

X

X

X

2nd chord:

X

X

That's the notes man, give it a shot and let me know what you think. :thu:

Sidenote: I've been on a roll learning stuff quickly lately. God is good - I damn sure don't know where it comes from sometimes, but man it does just get easier and easier to do things with music and it's always a blast.

I haven't looked at a tablature in years now I think!

Rock that sucker out man - I'm intrigued by the thought of arranging the keys parts for fingerstyle electric guitar - throw a little chorus and delay on there, maybe a touch of phaser and you can get some real rhodes like tones I think!

• Members

Part II:

I just tuned to drop D and altered the parts to where you are strumming and getting all of the low strings in there too - sounds very Jimmy Page like.

Tune to Drop D and try this:

1st chord (D, A, D, D, A, D):

2nd chord

OOH, that sounds MASSIVE. All strings used - strum the {censored} out of it. :thu:

• Members

Crap. Now you've got me listening to Olivia newton John. Isn't that second chord just a Ddim? So...

X

X

To

X

X

I tried that and that isn't what the keyboardist is playing.

It would work but it's a bit dense.

To me what makes that chord progression work and what your ear is hearing is that upper register keyboard work.

And what he is playing are the notes I transcribed above. Try em out as compared to the diminished (which is the first chord I chose) and you'll hear that those are the notes he is playing. :thu:

I'm not sure what to call the chord but it's just a root, flat five, flat 7 with no third voicing.

If you've got a minute try those drop D voicings I wrote up and tell me that {censored} wouldn't rock out.

He did say he wanted to do a more rocked up version of the tune, and I'm pretty sure they don't have a keys player....

• Members

Idk. I've got a pretty good ear and the c in that second chord sounds wrong to me. Then again, the whole song sounds wrong to me :poke:

Are we listening to the same version?

I had a live version and that C note is clearly in the chord - that's the flat 7.

Listen at around :24 seconds in and you'll hear it real clearly in the keyboard chord:

• Members

I think you're right, I guess it's just an ugly chord to my ears and I'm trying to rewrite the song. All that being said, I think the voicing of:

X

To

X

Sounds right.

That would work and if you're using dirt, it'll sound heavier besides. :thu:

I think I'd favor the high register stuff done with an Edge-like sound and big delay, but if you wanted a heavier rhythm sound your voicings would probably be a better choice.

Technically it could be argued that the chord should be a m7b5 but when I added in the minor third it changed the character of the chord from what I heard on the recording.

• Members

That would work and if you're using dirt, it'll sound heavier besides.
:thu:

I think I'd favor the high register stuff done with an Edge-like sound and big delay, but if you wanted a heavier rhythm sound your voicings would probably be a better choice.

Technically it could be argued that the chord should be a m7b5 but when I added in the minor third it changed the character of the chord from what I heard on the recording.

:thu:

• Members

Sorry I disappeared. I had technical difficulties with my computer at home.

Every time I tried to post yesterday I kept getting that I needed to log in.

I would log in and then go to post and ....it would say I needed to log in.

Anyway, I appreciate the help you guys are giving me.

Wade, I can't disagree about the chord I tab'd for the second chord. It didn't sound exactly right to me, so maybe it's the third that doesn't belong. But I also agree with you that the C is definitly in there.

We may or may not have a keyboard player coming on board. That, of course will make a difference as far as who plays what.

Yeah, we do want to "rock it up" a bit....make it a little heavier.

I'm at work now. I'll try your and TrickyBoy's suggestions when I get home tonight and let you know what I think. It may be that several of the suggestions would work to varying degrees and it's more a matter of deciding which to go with then it is deciding the right or wrong of it. Maybe a slight deviation from the original recording is a good idea anyway.

Anyway....thanks for the help. :)

Archived