Too old to play modern rock?

New Trail

• Members

How old is too old to play modern rock, i.e. songs on the radio right now? Or IS there such a thing as too old if you like the music and want to play it? Isn't some music timeless/ageless, such as bands like Kings of Leon? And, if there IS an age cut-off, what are the alternatives for a band, classic rock, blues, jazz?

• Members

Your too old for modern rock when you feel too old playing it.

It doesn't hurt to stay in shape, cut your hair to a style the crowd finds acceptable these days and maybe even dye it to get the grey out.

This. I love Just For Men. Keeps me looking 10 years younger. I'm 37 and I'm not too old yet. I know a lot of guys older than me that still play modern rock and tear it up.

• Members

I think it's kind of pathetic to see a group of 50 year olds dressing like they are in their 20s with highlights in their hair playing fad music. It seems unauthentic to me and that it's more about the "sales pitch" than the music. The guys in Gov't Mule are in their 40s, maybe early 50s, and they play some more dern stuff like Radiohead, Temple of the Dog, and Jeff Buckley. I guess that stuff is 20 years old now, but they don't look foolish doing it because they're not putting the image first.

Just my $.03.

• Members

I think it's kind of pathetic to see a group of 50 year olds dressing like they are in their 20s with highlights in their hair playing fad music. It seems unauthentic to me and that it's more about the "sales pitch" than the music. The guys in Gov't Mule are in their 40s, maybe early 50s, and they play some more dern stuff like Radiohead, Temple of the Dog, and Jeff Buckley. I guess that stuff is 20 years old now, but they don't look foolish doing it because they're not putting the image first.

Just my $.03.

Sadly though... today image seems just as important (if not more) then anything else. :(

• Members

As opposed to when image WASN'T important? When was that?

Elvis? The Beatles? Led Zeppelin? Duran Duran? Motley Crue? Guns n Roses? Nirvana?

I see your point and it's very valid.

Back in them days, they didn't have auto tune to fall back on.

What I was trying to get at is. Today, bad singing can be compensated for... Having what is considered the appropriate look, not as easy these days. Comparatively speaking.

• Members

Just my $.03.

That sounds good...

• Members

Elvis? The Beatles? Led Zeppelin? Duran Duran? Motley Crue? Guns n Roses? Nirvana?

Those guys are all definitely too old to play modern rock. Some of them are also too dead. I will give Dave Grohl a pass because the guy is an amazing musician and he just looks like a regular guy to me.

• Members

The guys in Gov't Mule are in their 40s, maybe early 50s, and they play some more dern stuff like Radiohead, Temple of the Dog, and Jeff Buckley. I guess that stuff is 20 years old now,.

Considering Mr. Buckley died in 1997, yeah...I wouldn't consider his stuff to be all that more dern.

• Members

Those guys are all definitely too old to play modern rock. Some of them are also too dead. I will give Dave Grohl a pass because the guy is an amazing musician and he just looks like a regular guy to me.

My point wasn't about any of them playing "modern rock" today. It was the fact that those acts were all about image as much as the music.

I don't think that has changed much at all. I got mineame's point about autotuning bad singers, but is Taylor Swift really that much worse of a singer than was Lesley Gore or Shaun Cassidy? There's always been a big market for image over substance. Especially when selling the music to teens.

• Members

I'm alittle confused. Are you comparing the Beatles and Led Zeppelin to Shaun Cassidy and Taylor Swift?

Do you think the first bands you mentioned have had a lasting impact due to their music, their image, or it is a combination of both? All of them other than Nirvana were before my time, but weren't they trend setters whereas the pop acts you referenced were mostly trend followers?

I am a big GNR fan and I've always read a lot of stuff making fun of Axl's image and even how he sings. :confused:

• Members

I'm alittle confused. Are you comparing the Beatles and Led Zeppelin to Shaun Cassidy and Taylor Swift?

No. It was two different comparisions.

I was using The Beatles and Led Zeppelin as examples to refute the statement that it's more about image these days. I think it has ALWAYS been about image since the beginning of rock n roll. Even with some of the most revered acts of all time.

I compared Taylor Swift to Shaun Cassidy to make the point that there has ALWAYS been young, VERY image-heavy, not particularly talented 'artists' in the market. I don't know that there are necessarily any more today than there used to be.

Archived