How does it make you feel?

badhabit

• Members

Good manners are getting more and more difficult to find or expect these days and even more so, among the younger generation.

Eh, the Ancient Greeks said the same thing about THEIR kids.

As did cavemen, I'm sure. Expressed in grunts and gestures, of course.

Some things never change...

• Members

We don't play "cool" music, so this doesn't happen to us. LOL

We did have some young college kids bring shots up to the stage and talk to us after the show, but it wasn't anything like what is being talked about here. They were in fact extremely well mannered, even soft-spoken. I had to almost interrogate them to get them to admit that they play music. Pretty cool if you ask me: we were all young once, and I've gotta say they were a hella lot more composed than I was at that age.

• Members

Eh, the Ancient Greeks said the same thing about THEIR kids.

As did cavemen, I'm sure. Expressed in grunts and gestures, of course.

Some things never change...

That's the modern-day cop out that many propose but under very little scrutiny, it doesn't hold water. Regards, Steadfastly

• Members

Thanks for all the positive perspectives. I admit, I was un-nerved by it at first, actually, the entire time. But you all were right, afterwards, when they gave us a compliment, I saw they were nice, regular fellows. And perhaps that was it, that their eyesight was not so great. I probably did smile at them during the set, I don't remember. I'm one of those that just smiles when caught off guard. But seriously, thanks again everyone, for the positive perspectives.

Sometimes guitar players just like to hear the guitar better, so they'll go and stand right in front of it. I've had people actually come up on stage and stick their head right in front of my amp.

• Members

Good manners are getting more and more difficult to find or expect these days and even more so, among the younger generation.

Yeah like not making sweeping statements about millions of people whom you've never met, old folks would never dream of being so condescending.

Isn't it a well-documented fact that kids at Metallica shows would literally stand with their backs turned at any other band? If you're near what appears to be the average age around here, then those kids were more likely part of your generation than 'the younger generation' :lol:

• Members

Isn't it a well-documented fact that kids at Metallica shows would literally stand with their backs turned at any other band? If you're near what appears to be the average age around here, then those kids were more likely part of your generation than 'the younger generation'
:lol:

I was thinking the same thing actually. Generation X, baby.

The least educated (math/science) generation of people in American history (fact: check the math/science stats for the 1980's)

Yes, I'm a Gen X'er, :cry: and those are our kids: they damn sure didn't learn anything off of US, but maybe that's because we didn't take the time to teach them.

Instead, we sat them in front of vid games, kept them inside, and allowed them to become the most out of shape crop of kids in American History.

Yeah, we suck pretty much: gen X.....

• Members

I was thinking the same thing actually. Generation X, baby.

The least educated (math/science) generation of people in American history (fact: check the math/science stats for the 1980's)

Yes, I'm a Gen X'er,
:cry:
and those are our kids: they damn sure didn't learn anything off of US, but maybe that's because we didn't take the time to teach them.

Instead, we sat them in front of vid games, kept them inside, and allowed them to become the most out of shape crop of kids in American History.

Yeah, we suck pretty much: gen X.....

Well, I'm a boomer, the generation who practically wrote the book on self-obsession, self-absorption, self righteousness, self-aggrandizement, self whatever you want to add. It is we who came p with the "me" generation of the 70s, followed by the "gimme'' generation of the 80s, two generations when we started having kids. We created the 'self esteem' movement, the equal outcome movement, the ''greed is good'' movement... we ain't all bad, but we got no right to point fingers, really. If we want to now why kids are selfish, disrespectful and rude, all we have to do is go find a mirror.

• Members

looks waaaay too cold to be playing fingerstyle....................

Well, I'm a boomer, the generation who practically wrote the book on self-obsession, self-absorption, self righteousness, self-aggrandizement, self whatever you want to add. It is we who came p with the "me" generation of the 70s, followed by the "gimme'' generation of the 80s, two generations when we started having kids. We created the 'self esteem' movement, the equal outcome movement, the ''greed is good'' movement... we ain't all bad, but we got no right to point fingers, really. If we want to now why kids are selfish, disrespectful and rude, all we have to do is go find a mirror.

• Members

Yeah like not making sweeping statements about millions of people whom you've never met, old folks would never dream of being so condescending.

Isn't it a well-documented fact that kids at Metallica shows would literally stand with their backs turned at any other band? If you're near what appears to be the average age around here, then those kids were more likely part of your generation than 'the younger generation'

Hey, bud, there are lots of good kids but you don't have to be a rocket scientist or very old to see the changes that have taken place in just the last 20 years. I'm 56, so perhaps I've seen more history than you. I hang out with 18 and early 20 year olds and even they say how bad the kids were in school and they just left it. My son told me some of the things that went on in his school 20 years ago and that just would not have happened when I was going to school Regards, Steadfastly.

• Members

OT a little: Agree, Stead...our family units are breaking down; mothers get paid big $ by the Feds for pumping out kids with no fathers, then they shove them off on the teachers to "fix 'em". When I was growing up long ago, the teachers actually did do a lot of fixing on the kids, but now that everyone has a lawyer that doesn't happen.

Now, to knock the other side...the teachers complain that they can't control the kids, but I have often wondered if the teachers worried half as much about discipline as they do about raises, they could do something about this. If the NEA threatened a nationwide strike to get back discipline, it would happen.

• Members

OT a little: Agree, Stead...our family units are breaking down; mothers get paid big $ by the Feds for pumping out kids with no fathers, then they shove them off on the teachers to "fix 'em". When I was growing up long ago, the teachers actually did do a lot of fixing on the kids, but now that everyone has a lawyer that doesn't happen.

Now, to knock the other side...the teachers complain that they can't control the kids, but I have often wondered if the teachers worried half as much about discipline as they do about raises, they could do something about this. If the NEA threatened a nationwide strike to get back discipline, it would happen.

Much of what you say is true but of course we can't stereo-type every kid or parent this way but your point does show that the government is not able to come up with an enviable solution.

• Moderators

OT a little? WTF are we talking about here? Some guys digging a player?

• Moderators

It took me a few to figure out what you were responding to ^^^^^. Good manners? Come on! This isn't church is it? I spent my youth leaning on stages digging others or playing on them. That's how we learn. Manners? I'm pretty freakin' polite but... get over yourself and let someone dig the show and the music being made. Isn't that why we do it? It's why I do it, and it's why I hovered on stages!

• Members

It took me a few to figure out what you were responding to ^^^^^. Good manners? Come on! This isn't church is it? I spent my youth leaning on stages digging others or playing on them. That's how we learn. Manners? I'm pretty freakin' polite but... get over yourself and let someone dig the show and the music being made. Isn't that why we do it? It's why I do it, and it's why I hovered on stages!

You hovered??!! My goodness, man, didn't your parents teach you anything? Th...th...that's just the orfellestest manners!:):lol::)

• Members

And that poor old guitar was just a creakin' and a groanin'.

Not anymore! That thing rode around the back of a band truck through raging summers and bitter Canadian winters. I bought it new in 1976; it's an old pre-lawsuit Takamine F-360. It's a bit beat up, and has a crack in the box from falling out of the back of the band truck at 35 below zero in Saskatchewan. But I've written just about every one of my songs on it, even the band stuff, and I'll never get rid of that guitar.

• Members

I had a similar situation last nite. I had several do the arms-crossed-staring thing. I smiled,nodded and kept playing. When we went on break they were asking about my rig. I play a Variax 700 thru a POD HD 500 and they were telling me when they heard the acoustic 12 guitar models they thought i was using a Backing Track.

Archived