something for you Fender lovers

J.Paul

• Members

How do you know it's off center until you see what's below?
:o

Terry D.

Good point...

But seriously, aesthetically speaking, center of torso is pretty obvious given where the belly button is. That tattoo is all kinds of wrong placement in relation to that.

• Members

Good point...

But seriously, aesthetically speaking, center of torso is pretty obvious given where the belly button is. That tattoo is all kinds of wrong placement in relation to that.

Do you have any tattoos? Typically the artist goes over the placement when they put the pattern on to be tattood. You dont know what else is going to be tattood after that either. The only way to look at it is that its her tattoo , not yours.

Would I put a fender logo on my body ,, prolly not. Would I get a tattoo. Yea got a couple big pieces. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Members

Do you have any tattoos? Typically the artist goes over the placement when they put the pattern on to be tattood. You dont know what else is going to be tattood after that either. The only way to look at it is that its her tattoo , not yours.

Would I put a fender logo on my body ,, prolly not. Would I get a tattoo. Yea got a couple big pieces. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yes, actually, I have several, including a couple that some would consider larger pieces.

I have a (former) tattoo artist in the immediate family; she apprenticed with one of the better regarded artists in the country (If you know the history of the name Grimm, you know). Some of the best regarded artists in the world are close friends of hers and acquaintances of mine. I've been in/around the tattoo industry/community to one degree or another for more than 15 years.

Doesn't matter how much this artist went over placement with the chick who got the tattoo or not (more likely the case). Sure it's hers and not mine, but it's still a placement fail.

• Members

I like tattoos, I like Fenders, and I like girls, but I still not really digging that particular one.

thats cool. the problem is that you are right up front trying to judge it. you dont know the history , you dont know if there is more artwork to follow. Lots of times people show up at the shops with their own artwork. It might not satisfly you ,, but it may have alot of meaning to them. Tattoos are personal and they each have their own meaning. I didnt really look at that one that good ,, but it seems like the ink stayed in good and its not all spotty and dug up. If its not a perfect image put in a not so ideal spot , is pretty well up to the person getting the tattoo. I have never seen an artist not get approvial of the placement and artwork before they start putting the lines in. Its pretty obvious that this person wanted that tattoo. If you have been around tattoos as much as you say you have , you should know this {censored}.

• Moderators

thats cool. the problem is that you are right up front trying to judge it. you dont know the history , you dont know if there is more artwork to follow. Lots of times people show up at the shops with their own artwork. It might not satisfly you ,, but it may have alot of meaning to them. Tattoos are personal and they each have their own meaning. I didnt really look at that one that good ,, but it seems like the ink stayed in good and its not all spotty and dug up. If its not a perfect image put in a not so ideal spot , is pretty well up to the person getting the tattoo. I have never seen an artist not get approvial of the placement and artwork before they start putting the lines in. Its pretty obvious that this person wanted that tattoo. If you have been around tattoos as much as you say you have , you should know this {censored}.

I'm not questioning the quality of the work or how happy the customer is. Yes, I'm making a subjective judgement based on how I like it. If she likes her tattoo, more power to her. I think it looks tacky. (and I married someone with a lot more ink that what one sees in that photo)

Obviously she didn't get to impress me, some random dude on an internet forum, so whatever. :D

:idk:

• Members

If she said to put it there ,, its not a fail. Its where the customer said to put it.

That's your perspective. Mine, it's a fail, period, and that's 100% on the artist.

The girl getting it? Likely too dumb, uncaring, or at least unqualified, to recognize how it should line up on her torso from an aesthetic standpoint. Unless you think she consciously wanted it both crooked and off-center. Me? I kind of doubt that.

In the end, if she's happy with it, that's all that matters for her, but it's still an art/execution fail nonetheless.

• Members

That's your perspective. Mine, it's a fail, period, and that's 100% on the artist.

The girl getting it? Likely too dumb, uncaring, or at least unqualified, to recognize how it should line up on her torso from an aesthetic standpoint. Unless you think she consciously
wanted
it both crooked and off-center. Me? I kind of doubt that.

In the end, if she's happy with it, that's all that matters for her, but it's still an art/execution fail nonetheless.

Whatever ,,, how do you know there isnt more artwork to follow. I mean if you had seen the start of one of my tattoos you would have said ,, geesh that looks stupid. a little 2x2 cartoon airplane on the upper arm of a grizzly lookin biker. When the thing was finished it covers most of my upper arm and almost doesnt get covered by a short sleeve shirt. Its not a pair of ass antlers for christ sakes ,, no one says its gotta be centered. To be honest I didnt even look at the fact that it wasnt centered. Its a hand drawn fender logo done in black.

• Members

"ass antlers"

Dude, you are KILLING ME today. This one is going in my vocabulary today. LMFAO

rhat/TimKeys'ism's:

"Ass Antlers": Tribal tattoo on a woman's lower back

"8 hole mixer": A mixer with 8 xlr inputs

"Strat and a hat": An SRV impersonator

Keep em coming man, I love it. I'm laughing so damn hard I can't even see straight here.

• Members

"ass antlers"

Dude, you are KILLING ME today. This one is going in my vocabulary today. LMFAO

No problem ,, its far better term than tramp stamp. Its spring break ,, down here. The ass antlers are out in herds lol.

• Members

...no one says its gotta be centered.

No; YOU say it doesn't have to be centered.

I say it should be.

So would a billion other people, artists and non-artists alike, who understand and adhere to good composition and design standards, and I'd hazard a guess, especially any tattoo artist worth their salt who you'd ask.

• Members

I don't. Nor do I care if there is or isn't.

What I know is, it looks like crap to me; horrible placement. You're focusing on how well the ink was laid, maybe the line work, etc.

GOOD tattooing is about a hell of a lot more than technique; may be a technically well done piece, but from an artistic perspective...it sucks.

Doesn't matter if it will eventually be surrounded by the most amazing grey-scale work known to man; the heart of the piece will still be off-center and crooked, forever.

Honestly, I don't understand why you feel the need to argue about this.

Regardless of if you noticed it at first or not, do you deny that it is crooked and off-center in relation to her torso/belly button upon further inspection?

No;
YOU
say it doesn't have to be centered.

I
say it should be.

So would a billion other people, artists and non-artists alike, who understand and adhere to good composition and design standards, and I'd hazard a guess, especially any tattoo artist worth their salt who you'd ask.

The F in fender is big ,, the rest of the letters are smaller. you gonna go for dead center with a ruler or from the balance of the piece. Looks like they went for balance on this one. Good tattoo artists does what the customer wants unless its somthing really brain dead like getting {censored} tattood on your face tattooing a minor.

• Members

It's funny-we argue all the time about if musicians of various bents are artists, but bestow the label on tattoo practicioners without discussion. Or do you have to reach a certain level before your considered an artist in the tattoo business? If so, why would anyone get inked by an apprentice? Is a guy who simply copies an image an artist? Or a coverband tattoo dude?

Archived