something for you Fender lovers

J.Paul

• Members

I think the guy who did mine was a meth head.

did he have a shovelhead with a rattle can paint job leaking oil in drip pan inside the shop. The guy that did my first tattoo did ,,, they say he wasnt a bad cook either lol.

• Members

Looks like they went for balance on this one.

No it doesn't. Close, but no cigar.

You may be cool with it, but I am not letting a tattoo artist who's shooting for 'close enough' put 1 drop of ink in my skin.

No point in responding, as you're clearly choosing to ignore everything I'm saying.

Take that picture to any and every GOOD tattoo artist you know and they'll tell you the same as I've said, though.

As for the discussion about technician vs artist and why would anybody go to someone who was an apprentice...

Well, there's absolutely a need for a lot of technical skill before you get anywhere near the 'art' of tattooing.

But that being said, there are, IMO, an overwhelming majority of tattooists who don't even have basic skills solid, much less mastered.

Those are the people who are going to charge you $35 to put a sloppily drawn shamrock or Tasmanian Devil on your bicep because you got ripped on Friday night and thought it made you look tough. Most tattoo shops make their dough by being nothing more than capable of tracing the flash designs they have onto un-demanding clients who think that what they are getting really IS the Japanese kanji for 'love', when in fact, the characters actually mean "sweet & sour pork w/fried rice".

If you ask me, a GOOD tattooist is technically skilled and creative enough to be able to bridge the gap to creating art. A GREAT tattooist has mastered technical skills to execute whatever their creative artistic mind can envision well enough that the medium they are creating their art in doesn't matter.

As for the apprentice aspect...Well, LOTS of people want those shamrocks and Tasmanian Devils and loads of skulls and hearts that say "MOM" across them...and much of that kind of work is done by using pre-existing flash (an already drawn outline of the image)...once you get the basic skills of tattooing down (consistent/even ink being applied, solid lines, etc.), apprentices are the people generally doing that kind of work.

The person who does my work now charges me roughly $150 an hour and that's a 'friends' rate; getting an appointment for even 2-3 hours work takes a month or two to fit me in. A good friend of the family/the woman my wife wants to do her backpiece is world-reknown; she charges $200/hr with a 4 hour minimum, and is booked out 4 months or more when she's at all 'available'. Often, she has enough work that she wants to do for friends, etc. that she just won't book anybody new for several months at a stretch ("Currently not taking appointments").

Those are pricey rates, and...less discerning people aren't going to pay that kind of money. Nor do they necessarily need to if what they are looking for is simple enough. So you go to someone who is less regarded, etc. I'd rather go to the apprentice of someone like my guy than take a chance with some random guy. YMMV.

• Members

No it doesn't. Close, but no cigar.

You may be cool with it, but I am not letting a tattoo artist who's shooting for 'close enough' put 1 drop of ink in my skin.

No point in responding, as you're clearly choosing to ignore everything I'm saying.

Take that picture to any and every GOOD tattoo artist you know and they'll tell you the same as I've said, though.

As for the discussion about technician vs artist and why would anybody go to someone who was an apprentice...

Well, there's absolutely a need for a
lot
of technical skill before you get anywhere near the 'art' of tattooing.

But that being said, there are, IMO, an overwhelming majority of tattooists who don't even have basic skills solid, much less mastered.

Those are the people who are going to charge you $35 to put a sloppily drawn shamrock or Tasmanian Devil on your bicep because you got ripped on Friday night and thought it made you look tough. Most tattoo shops make their dough by being nothing more than capable of tracing the flash designs they have onto un-demanding clients who think that what they are getting really IS the Japanese kanji for 'love', when in fact, the characters actually mean "sweet & sour pork w/fried rice".

If you ask me, a GOOD tattooist is technically skilled and creative enough to be able to bridge the gap to creating art. A GREAT tattooist has mastered technical skills to execute whatever their creative artistic mind can envision well enough that the medium they are creating their art in doesn't matter.

As for the apprentice aspect...Well, LOTS of people want those shamrocks and Tasmanian Devils and loads of skulls and hearts that say "MOM" across them...and much of that kind of work is done by using pre-existing flash (an already drawn outline of the image)...once you get the basic skills of tattooing down (consistent/even ink being applied, solid lines, etc.), apprentices are the people generally doing that kind of work.

The person who does my work now charges me roughly $150 an hour and that's a 'friends' rate; getting an appointment for even 2-3 hours work takes a month or two to fit me in. A good friend of the family/the woman my wife wants to do her backpiece is world-reknown; she charges $200/hr with a 4 hour minimum, and is booked out 4 months or more when she's at all 'available'. Often, she has enough work that she wants to do for friends, etc. that she just won't book anybody new for several months at a stretch ("Currently not taking appointments").

Those are pricey rates, and...less discerning people aren't going to pay that kind of money. Nor do they necessarily need to if what they are looking for is simple enough. So you go to someone who is less regarded, etc. I'd rather go to the apprentice of someone like my guy than take a chance with some random guy. YMMV.

Lets see some of your ink

Archived