Cover bands, how are you building your fan base?

• Members

We've been together in our current state about 5 months or so, are picking up some steam, having some successful shows, building some confidence, bar owners seem to love us (at least they say so, but aren't opening up the bank vaults quite yet), but we still don't have much of a committed fan base. We've been playing to some packed bars, people are into it, dancing, staying till the end, but we're trying to find ways to get them to start following us. We have a pretty decent site, facebook page, and all the other stuff, but it's a matter of motivating people to start looking at these and linking up to us.

We've tried starting an email list which is dead in the water. Obviously we bark out "go to upsiderocks.com" and "friend us on facebook" as often as we can without being too annoying. But we're looking for some new, fresh ideas to get people engaged. I was thinking of doing something like the first 10 people to friend us right there at a gig gets a t-shirt (yes, bribing them), or other giveaway type things. Just wondering if you guys have any tactics you use that work.

Thanks!

• Members

We've been together in our current state about 5 months or so, are picking up some steam, having some successful shows, building some confidence, bar owners seem to love us (at least they say so, but aren't opening up the bank vaults quite yet), but we still don't have much of a committed fan base. We've been playing to some packed bars, people are into it, dancing, staying till the end, but we're trying to find ways to get them to start following us. We have a pretty decent
page, and all the other stuff, but it's a matter of motivating people to start looking at these and linking up to us.

We've tried starting an email list which is dead in the water. Obviously we bark out "go to upsiderocks.com" and "friend us on facebook" as often as we can without being too annoying. But we're looking for some new, fresh ideas to get people engaged. I was thinking of doing something like the first 10 people to friend us right there at a gig gets a t-shirt (yes, bribing them), or other giveaway type things. Just wondering if you guys have any tactics you use that work.

Thanks!

My feeling on this is that you cant just be a band. There are tons of solid bands. You have to be people who the crowd likes, and not just faceless musicans up on a stage playing music. people follow bands because they like the people in the bands and they like being around them. more glad handing at gigs and being accessable, and actually taking the time to interact with people at your gigs, not only on stage , but also on breaks and in your regular life. Its sales , you gotta sell yourselves. We hear about stage presents,, but the most powerful thing for a band is just their abililty to relate and connect with the people who come to see them. When you leave that stage, you want the people in that crowd to feel like they know you personally. You have to become their band.

• Members

My feeling on this is that you cant just be a band. There are tons of solid bands. You have to be people who the crowd likes, and not just faceless musicans up on a stage playing music. people follow bands because they like the people in the bands and they like being around them. more glad handing at gigs and being accessable, and actually taking the time to interact with people at your gigs, not only on stage , but also on breaks and in your regular life. Its sales , you gotta sell yourselves. We hear about stage presents,, but the most powerful thing for a band is just their abililty to relate and connect with the people who come to see them. When you leave that stage, you want the people in that crowd to feel like they know you personally. You have to become their band.

good points! I agree. Make the people who come see you feel special, make sure they have a great time and even make them feel like they are part of making the good time happen. During breaks, talk with them and communicate with them through social networking too. People now adays like to be part of the show. Play songs with crowd participation/ sing a longs.

Giveaways are good too. Drunks like free stuff. We toss out shirts almost every show but that alone aint going to do it. You must "throw the party" make your show MORE than 5 guys in a corner with instruments. there are many ways to do this and for each band it is different.

• Members

The best thing we did was start to build real relationships with the people who were coming to our shows - we talked to people between sets, added them as facebook friends, and always thanked them for coming to see us. And we made sure to acknowledge them when we saw them out and about - even if we weren't playing that night. This past weekend, I was rushing to get to the stage for the last set but made the effort to simply say "hi, Nicole" to a girl that comes to our shows from time to time. She lit right up and by the end of the first song she was at the front of the stage with her female friends. This wasn't me trying to lure a girl to the stage. This was me remembering her because I was glad to see her there - I can even tell you which venue she first saw us at and probably the date if I go look at the calendar. Amy could, too.

Be friendly and do it sincerely... people really do appreciate being appreciated. The rest will follow. :thu:

• Members

Don't underestimate the power of a business card. People will never remember your web address the morning after so having a small takeaway with the band info on it is a great way to drive some more hits to your FB/website.

Hand them out when people come talk to you, leave them out on tables, etc.

• Members

Don't underestimate the power of a business card. People will never remember your web address the morning after so having a small takeaway with the band info on it is a great way to drive some more hits to your FB/website.

Hand them out when people come talk to you, leave them out on tables, etc.

Just designed and ordered another 1,000 last night. We find they work very well also.

• Members

Just designed and ordered another 1,000 last night. We find they work very well also.

We had this revelation a while ago. Order a lot fo them and save people the trouble of asking for them - put them on the tables and around the bar. Most of them will get picked up (even if they are never actually used to contact you, your name is out there).

• Members

People like to party. If you approach the band as we're going to stand in the corner and play music, people may stay, but they're not going to see you out. You have to be the party. You have to make the party. People need to know that when your band is playing, a good time will be had by all. As others have said, that means engaging the audience. Different bands and their front people will have different ways of doing it, but engaging and interacting with the audience is key.

Playing regularly is also key. You can't play the same club every week or people will get sick of you, but you should play the same general area regularly so that people can find you when they want. No matter how good you are, most people won't drive 50 miles to come and see you, so you need to be accessible. Pick a few areas 10 miles or so apart and play them once a month so that you'll build up several followings instead of just one.

Off on a slight tangent, but only a slight one, make sure you have good sound and lights and dress the part. I saw a band with really good musicians, but they had a PA on sticks, with nothing miced but vocals and keys, and there really was no punch to their music. They just sounded really disconnected from the audience. Same band had no lights. You could barely see them. Same band dressed like they'd just returned from a picnic. Have a band look or style. Preferably a style so that when you walk in the room, people know you're the band.

People want the band to be a bit larger than life. Sound like a real band and look like a real band, and you just may be perceived as a real band. Look and sound like a bunch of guys at a backyard jam and you really don't give people a compelling reason to seek you out.

Get shirts made up. People like souvenirs. When people start showing up at your gigs wearing your shirt, the bars know they're there because of you, and again, it adds to your image. And as a musician, it's fun to see people support you like that. Give one or two away to the best dancer or something to encourage audience participation.

• Members

+1 on business cards. Most nights, I get asked for one at least once.

Also, GCDEF makes a good point about geography & frequency of gigs. Find the right balance between wearing it out and being so scarce people don't think about your band when Friday comes.

Use the internet. My buddy keeps a modest webpage for us, does e-mail messages to a list of 200+ confirmed addresses (people who asked to be on our mailing list), as well as Facebook/Twitter blasts about upcoming dates. We get good feedback on these notices. Even if it only nets a few people per gig, it keeps our name in front of the rest ("we're not dead yet!").

• Members

Thanks again guys. I actually just ordered some snazzy logo business cards and fridge magnets a few days ago. They'll be arriving in time for our 3-in-1 weekend in June. Should make for a pretty good promo blitz. We'll also make more of an effort in getting out into the crowd between sets & after shows.

Hey, our bass player used to play with your singer!
:D

Or maybe you already knew that?

No Mike I had no idea. Curious, is he part of your current "situation" or would you rather not say?

• Members

Thanks again guys. I actually just ordered some snazzy logo business cards and fridge magnets a few days ago. They'll be arriving in time for our 3-in-1 weekend in June. Should make for a pretty good promo blitz. We'll also make more of an effort in getting out into the crowd between sets & after shows.

No Mike I had no idea. Curious, is he part of your current "situation" or would you rather not say?

No, Dan's an awesome band member. I'm really glad we have him!

• Members

We've been together in our current state about 5 months or so, are picking up some steam, having some successful shows, building some confidence, bar owners seem to love us (at least they say so, but aren't opening up the bank vaults quite yet), but we still don't have much of a committed fan base. We've been playing to some packed bars, people are into it, dancing, staying till the end, but we're trying to find ways to get them to start following us. We have a pretty decent
site
facebook
page, and all the other stuff, but it's a matter of motivating people to start looking at these and linking up to us.

Thanks!

Well 'asking' for one is a great start. There is alot of good things that some of the people on this thread already suggested. In the early days with us we tried some successful and some not so successful. This advice probably seems a bit broad and generalized but honestly it's what's worked for us... and I imagine many bands. And certainly better than me telling you what different hats we wore on "Crazy Hat Night".

Over the years, I've seen some terrific bands with disappointing draws and some marginal bands with large followings. What most bands fail to realize is that 'good' and 'popular' are not one in the same. That being said... a band that works hard, delivers a good show, and makes a connection with an audience has every opportunity to develop a dependable following. When we started 9 years ago we had the typical 'Family & Friends' turnout, which for us was still quite large (40-50 people) and luckily they all consumed alcohol in great quantities (which didn't hurt us with future bookings). However it was a good two three years before we started building a regular fanbase beyond the people we knew for years. And as we started attracting more and more 'first timers' to our shows, while building a strong name/rep in the local area, we started thinking hard about not only capturing new followers but keeping them from show to show. I can go into great lengths and detail into the things that we did early on... building sponsors, changing up our setlist, even planing gimmicks and events during our show... but first and foremost, the reason we're a popular band (in addition to being entertaining) is that we focused on three things... and we never strayed from them.

#1) Be Approachable & Appreciative- Sounds like a no brainer right? Somehow many bands tend to get this wrong. Some are so unapproachable that people enjoy the show but don't feel connected to the band to see a repeat performance. Ego is an audience killer. There's a time and place for being a rockstar... you act like Robert Plant on stage at a local bar... it doesn't do much good if the audience sees you behind the counter at Dairy Mart selling lotto tickets. Other bands try way too hard to over-compensate for a weak performance by trying patronize the audience. "We love, love LOVE UUUUUU for coming to see us!!!!" Love is not something you get because you're happy the crowd turned up... love is something you earned because you made an impression on the audinece. Love alone won't build a following... Loyalty is neccesary. It's built by fans feeling some ownership in the event. On a local level most people want to feel connected in some way to the band they are seeing... so from day one we (as a band) made ourselves approachable, before, during and after shows. It's worked into our sets where we invite people on stage to join us. That can go two ways... one way can look like a sloppy, pathetic mess, or the other as the biggest live music party in the area. It's not the forumla for every band, but if you can 'wear it', then flaunt it!

#2) Media, Media and more media.... A method I carried over from my previous band over a decade ago was to present weekly updates of each show in a visual format. The saying of my current band is "Don't tell people... show them!" . I know so many bands in my area that constantly talk a good game about the show that they put on but struggle to get people out to see them on a Friday or Saturday night. Words mean nothing without 'images'... and a picture says 1000 words. From the very beginning, long before Facebook and Myspace we made the regular commitment to post weekly photo updates to our website. That effort alone helped the band in so many ways. For one.. it signified to bars we were interested in that we were a busy band, and growing in popularity. For strangers who came across our website they could imagine the good times before they heard a single note. But more than anything for the people who attended on Friday or Saturday night it was a perfect way to see or be seen... to show friends what they spent their weekend doing or for the extreme to remember what happened after they blacked out. ;) Seriously, we post photos from about 50% of our shows... 45-50 galleries per year, 50+ pictures per gallery x nine years... um that's over 20,000+ photos. :eek: There's really no way to wade through those pictures and not see there's a good time happening. The majority... 95% are of the crowd. That is purely by design. We want people to see themselves... not to dwell on the band. So many bands will have a girlfriend or someone close to the band take 200 shots and it's all of the band members in various poses. Here's a clue: On Monday morning the crowd doesn't care what the band was wearing on Saturday night... they want to see themselves and their friends hanging out. We're a party band... we're hosting the party and they are invited. Simple as that. We treat them as guests... just like the bar treats them as customers. The photo is their take away and just enough good memories to get them through till the next weekend. Since 2009 we've been taking semi-weekly video. Gig Recaps A huge effort, commitment and expense but it's a fantastic marketing tool and continues to keep us growing.

3) Be consistent- On one hand... we're pretty much the same band we were 9 years ago. On the other we're very differen't in terms of the material we deliver and the music we cover. Managing a good band will always be a 'work in progress' on the back end, but on the front end it helps to present the band as if you've been touring together 20 years. There will always be new songs to learn, lineup changes, venues won and lost, but in the end the only way most bands will retain people from show to show is by keeping things consistent... even if you're always working hard to break new ground. I see time and time again, a band will earn a following, only to piss it away with canceled shows, revolving line ups, changing formats and inconsistent performances.

There are alot of other things I could go into... but the three I mentioned above are the main things that took us from playing in front of 30 to over 300 on a regular basis.

• Members

Seriously, we post photos from about 50% of our shows... 45-50 galleries per year, 50+ pictures per gallery x nine years...
um that's over 20,000+ photos
:eek:
There's really no way to wade through those pictures and not see there's a good time happening. The majority... 95% are of the crowd. That is purely by design. We want people to see themselves... not to dwell on the band. So many bands will have a girlfriend or someone close to the band take 200 shots and it's all of the band members in various poses. Here's a clue:
On Monday morning the crowd doesn't care what the band was wearing on Saturday night... they want to see themselves and their friends hanging out.
We're a party band... we're hosting the party and they are invited. Simple as that. We treat them as guests... just like the bar treats them as customers. The photo is their take away and just enough good memories to get them through till the next weekend.

Grants post is right on but I wanted to draw out this one. Every time I go to bands' website or FB page to see they have gig pics posted and then open it up and see they are all or nearly all of the band I think:

1) (Yawn!)

2) Your egos are showing

3) You just totally wasted a huge opportunity

Gig photos need to be about the crowd. Period. A few band shots are fine but they should overwhelmingly be of the crowd.

• Members

Great advice given by all. People come back because they had a great time, not (necessarily) because you are a great band. People are drawn to the "it" spot and the party. The trick is to create a buzz about the band that makes people want to be where you are playing. As a "following" develops it begins to take-on a life of it's own. People get to become friends within the fan-base and they can be your biggest assistants in rallying the crowd to come out.

Folks have already mentioned this but being friendly and accessible are really important...especially for the front person. No one wants to come out to see band members huddled in the corner on breaks with their girlfriends. My wife and I front our band (she more than I) and we try not to put out the husband and wife vibe. We both work the room, mostly independent of each other, and try to engage the crowd. Too much and you look like your running for office but you get the point.

Others have mentioned media and social networking. Part of creating a "buzz" is getting people talking. Use Facebook and grow your bands friend list. Work the friend list with updates and witty notes that make the band appear happening and fun. Have friends and family take lots of pics and video at gigs and selectively post the pics that put the band in a good light. If you have a great shot of the band from far off with an empty dance floor in front....don't bother posting it.

In short, growing the fan-base is all about perception and "buzz". You want everyone who left your show to tell people they were impressed and had a great time. That means putting on a show with a great PA, lights, look like you are in the band, be accessible to the crowd, pass out sticker/guitar picks/t-shirts with the band logo and website, capture the "party" with pics and video and post it all on your website/facebook. Do all this consistently and you raise the chance of getting a following...it's a lot of friggin work! It's so much work that our band only does some of this.....not enough hours in the day for full time jobs, family and top-tier band for me.

• Members

Grants post is right on but I wanted to draw out this one. Every time I go to bands' website or FB page to see they have gig pics posted and then open it up and see they are all or nearly all of the band I think:

1) (Yawn!)

2) Your egos are showing

3) You just totally wasted a huge opportunity

Gig photos need to be about the crowd. Period. A few band shots are fine but they should overwhelmingly be of the crowd.

+1.

I try to avoid band shots unless they are about the crowd interacting with the band or it just happens to be a really great photo. Everything you and Grant said was totally right-on. Unless you're U2, nobody is much interested in looking at pictures of the band members on stage.

• Members

The best thing we did was start to build real relationships with the people who were coming to our shows - we talked to people between sets,
added them as facebook friends
, and always thanked them for coming to see us.

So, question here. If you meet "Jane" at a show, are you seeking her out on FB and initiating a friend request, or is she seeking out the band?

I seem to have a huge disconnect with people liking my FB page. People always comment how great it was, how they appreciated me playing their request, etc. I can talk to them, give them a business card or sticker, but rarely does that turn into someone initiating a friend request or liking my FB music page.

On the other hand, I would think that Jane might not appreciate you hunting her down on FB and friend requesting her? Maybe I'm wrong here?

Archived