Tribute bands

JailTime

• Moderators

Guys from my old days of playing are doing some tributes. An old friend Bod Tedde in San Diego has a little monopoly on the tribute thing here. His main band Rockola, does 60's hits on a regular club basis. Sitar, recorder flutes, Farfisa orgon, set to set costume change. From Beatle mop top wigs to acid drenched frizzy hairdoos.

But... they will organize a performance of All Things Must Pass for George's birthday, or Sgt. Peppers for the anniversary,a nd rent out a large performance theater in town, rehearse with players from the symphony, bring on board all the local ringers for various parts... and sell the freakin' venue out.

They're great.

Tedde also heads up The Steely Damned. All the best local players. Backup singers. Brass. Hot shot studio guitarist, keys, bass and drums. You think a Steely Dan tribute would fail? Wrong. and they travel a considerable amount playing money corporate gigs.

Clever dude that Bob Tedde.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guys from my old days of playing are doing some tributes. An old friend Bod Tedde in San Diego has a little monopoly on the tribute thing here. His main band Rockola, does 60's hits on a regular club basis. Sitar, recorder flutes, Farfisa orgon, set to set costume change. From Beatle mop top wigs to acid drenched frizzy hairdoos.

But... they will organize a performance of All Things Must Pass for George's birthday, or Sgt. Peppers for the anniversary,a nd rent out a large performance theater in town, rehearse with players from the symphony, bring on board all the local ringers for various parts... and sell the freakin' venue out.

They're great.

Tedde also heads up The Steely Damned. All the best local players. Backup singers. Brass. Hot shot studio guitarist, keys, bass and drums. You think a Steely Dan tribute would fail?
Wrong.
and they travel a considerable amount playing money corporate gigs.

Clever dude that Bob Tedde.

I didn't realize the guy from Rockola did Steely Damned as well. Fabulous bands, and proof that the major factor is the execution, and not necessarily the artist or setlist.

• Members
There is a guy around here who can nail Ronnie James Dio's voice to a "T". Funny thing is, unlike Dio's incredibly small stature, he is built like a huge football player, around 6'8"!
:lol:

/offtopic
If I were in Sweden I'd be dying to play with these guys:

[video=youtube;A33Ea-28OP0]

The second coming of Dio/Rainbow/Deep Purple if I've ever heard it. Lead singer is basically 2 parts Dio and 1 part Coverdale. Probably won't ever see them in the USA though unfortunately.
/offtopic

I wonder if anyone would really even come out to a Dio tribute though - he's never been terribly popular outside of a very small group of people. It might just be a fun once or twice a year thing rather than an actual band.

• Members

I am not much on tribute bands , but i do like bands that do a bit of a tribute to certain genre's and styles of music. an example , great horn bands of the 60s. Southern rock. I dont get into the costume and look alike thing that much.

• Members

I wonder if anyone would really even come out to a Dio tribute though - he's never been terribly popular outside of a very small group of people. It might just be a fun once or twice a year thing rather than an actual band.

I would think if there was somebody who REALLY nailed him. Right down to being short and looking like him, it would work since RJD has now passed. But just some guy who simply sang like him? I don't think that'd be enough.

• Members

I would think if there was somebody who REALLY nailed him. Right down to being short and looking like him, it would work since RJD has now passed. But just some guy who simply sang like him? I don't think that'd be enough.

I think sang like him, and looked like him sans the height issue would be good enough. Won't argue against your height point though. That would definitely help.

• Members
Live and let live. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to express it here. But once again, the market determines the value of something. If a tribute band can pack a venue, and people go and have a good time, that's all that matters. I try to not look down my nose at anyone. We're all musicians, playing music, having fun, and earning some coin.

I agree 100000 percent with this...live and let live!
As someone who currently plays in a "tribute" band as well as an "original" band...I get to thumb my nose at myself! :cool:

• Members

To me it's all about having FUN AND making good $ . I always keep my Orig. and cover bands apart . For a while I have been trying hard to put together a ZZtop trib band and for the life of me I can't seem to find a guy to play the Billy Gibbons part . It's a no brainer , $ would be great just a way split , plenty of songs to choose from , got agents lined up to book us , only playing bigger $ shows , but it's been stupidly hard to find a Billy , in fact if anyone in the New Orleans and gulf coast area is interested or knows someone please let me know my email address is djreid1957@yahoo.com .Money and fun await us

• Members

To me it's all about having FUN AND making good $ . I always keep my Orig. and cover bands apart . For a while I have been trying hard to put together a ZZtop trib band and for the life of me I can't seem to find a guy to play the Billy Gibbons part . It's a no brainer , $ would be great just a way split , plenty of songs to choose from , got agents lined up to book us , only playing bigger $ shows , but it's been stupidly hard to find a Billy , in fact if anyone in the New Orleans and gulf coast area is interested or knows someone please let me know my email address is
.Money and fun await us

I have always been into ZZ Top and at one time figured I could put in the time to do a decent Dusty Hill but you are right about finding a Billy Gibbons, I think they broke the mold.

Archived