Professional band photos?

• Members

Yes, I think it's been established that we need a new band photo.

Sorry, not trying to pile on.

That definitely works for you guys. I like it. Another vote for the white background too. Hmm...

Some of these sorts of things are just "fashion". Brick walls and train tracks are bad, in part because they have been so over-used, but mostly because they date the photos. It's an old look. Right now most "good" promo shots seem to use white backgrounds. I suspect in 10-20 years white backgrounds will look as dumb as brick walls do today.

Like I said before, one of the good things about using a white background is you can photo shop something else in later. We did one shoot awhile back where the photographer submitted a bunch of test photos with different backgrounds including----a brick wall! with grafitti! So you can always still go for that look later if you really want it.

Backgrounds are fine if you have something that really helps sell the image of the band you're trying to project. Problem is, most bands don't HAVE that defined of an image or they have miscerptions about the image the background creates. Bands use brickwalls and traintracks because they think it connotes "hard and edgy". Instead it just connotes "dated and trying too hard" to most people these days.

• Members

They should photoshop some t shirts on those guys. I always thought that cover was a huge mistake for a great band. John Hall looks like he's takin' it. Ouch.

Yes. My vote for worst album cover ever by a Big Hit band.

But part of that is just fashion. It was considered "sexy" in the 70s to be shirtless. That cover is much worse today than it was then. They weren't the only band to go for that look at the time.

41uZDOOOADL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm PRAYING those guys are all wearing swim-trunks.

• Members

If you are hiring a professional photographer make sure its absolutely clear what you are getting at the end of the day.

ie are you establishing a 'Work for Hire' relationship (wherein your band would be considered the 'author' of the photos and as a result have full copyright ownership)?

If not, are you getting a complete transfer of copyright in the photos?

If not, what is the scope and limitations on the license you are getting to use the photos?

Its important these be clarified prior to the shoot.

Archived