Katy Perry 'ties' Michael Jackson!

New Trail

• Members

Maybe, but can you find even a dozen people on the planet to argue that her music is better?

Probably among young girls, I would think so. These things are largely generational. I'm pretty sure (in fact I KNOW there were) all sorts of people similarly scoffing their noses at MJs chart success during the 80s saying that the quality of his music in no way compared to Elvis or The Beatles. Will people still be listening to Katy Perry in 30 years? I have no idea. But I DO know that many, many people thought there was no way anyone would be listening to "Billie Jean" 30 years hence.

But what was my band rehearsing yesterday? A medley of "Workin' Day and Night" and "Thriller". Today's shallow, simple pop tunes become tomorrow's classics pretty easily and predictably. Today's 15 year old girls are going to want to dance from SOMETHING 20-30 years from now, and those Katy Perry hits from their youth are a pretty good bet that that's what cover bands will be learning as "classics" in a couple of decades.

• Members

The one thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the corporate takeover of radio. The corporate nature of music programming today has a huge impact on spins and promoting artists that have already had hits.

Maybe that's true, but remember that Payola influenced record plays and sales in the 50's, and it might be argued that the influence of Dick Clark (yes, I said it) and American Bandstand, among other things, just might have played a part in the success of the Jackson 5, and then later Michael Jackson. Overall, I still think the playing field is still fairly level.

BTW I really like Katy Perry's music, but do I personally think Katy Perry's music is as 'good' as Michael Jackson's as a rule, HELL NO, but my point is that as a question of 'quality' it is subjective.

• Members

The one thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the corporate takeover of radio. The corporate nature of music programming today has a huge impact on spins and promoting artists that have already had hits.

There's some truth to that, but I don't know that it is really all THAT much different. Especially as concerns #1 hits. You had the "payola" era of the 50s, and while there was the occassional break-out regional hit that went national throughout the 80s, that wasn't really a factor on the Michael Jackson level of hits. That was about a corporate as it got.

Archived