On stage attire, music stands, "Dad bands", etc...

Lee Flier

• Members

Wow, this is a ridiculous post. Who cares about lights, what you wear, etc., just get up there and rock the show. Don't be upset because younger people can't afford to "dress up" and afford thousand dollar light systems, great, who cares. That's not what music is about, and if you really do think it is, then you're exactly what is wrong with music today; it's not about music.

And do say, "oh it's about putting on a great live performances." Right. There are many ways to put on great live shows, you don't have to dress up and have an amazing light show. Unless you think everyone is selling out stadium crowds every night.

Lastly, I would not assume most of the people here are "professional" music players. No offense, and i'm sure you're all great musicians in your own respect, but i don't think that would qualify as professional, unless you solely make a living off of playing guitar. Even so, there is still a difference between being a "Professional" and having it be your "profession."

Either way, this topic is ridiculous and to be honest. If the whole point of your post is that people need to put more effort into their performances, then rehearse. In addition, "great shows" are subjective, everyone has their own opinion of what constitutes a great show.

Translation: there are no objective standards to a great show, and anything goes. And Michasel Jordan is no longer a pro because he doesn't make a living at his craft anymore. Got it.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just know that when I was racing motorcycles, I would never have publicly expressed an opinion calling any non-pro rider a hack because they actually, you know....... rode a motorcycle. Even if it was on a track of some kind....

..... wearing shorts!!!!!

It doesn't take 'pro bike rider' status to understand that anybody who rides a bike while wearing shorts , can and should receive nothing but derision.

That's just a foolish move no matter how you slice it; better that guy feels shame for doing so than needs extensive skin grafts when they inevitably put the bike down.

• Members

It doesn't take 'pro bike rider' status to understand that anybody who rides a bike
while wearing shorts
, can and should receive nothing but derision.

That's just a foolish move no matter how you slice it; better that guy feels shame for doing so than needs extensive skin grafts when they inevitably put the bike down.

That really wasn't the point I was trying to make, but nevermind.

You are quite right. I apologize for muddying up my point with an attempt at humor. Point taken.

• Members

I guess in my rainbows-and-unicorns world, we'd all encourage each other in our endeavors, rather than mudslinging and name-calling at those who aren't as far along the continuum as we are.

I haven't really been keeping up with this thread, but this is actually an important issue.

For the sake of argument, let's grant OP's premise that Dad bands should stay out of bars.

Now... we have to define EXACTLY what a Dad band is, and communicate that to the world, and get everyone to agree, and then send OP and the Harmony Central Dad Band Police around to every bar to enforce it. Or count on the Dad bands to self-enforce based on the power of OP's argument. Both of which are obviously completely ridiculous.

So the whole discussion is pretty much pointless.

Bars are going to hire bands for whatever reasons they want, subtle or stupid.

Bands are going to put on whatever show they want, good or bad.

I will go away after I make my main point one more time: make the best decisions YOU can, and stop bitching and blaming others if it doesn't work out the way you hoped.

• Members
For the sake of argument, let's grant OP's premise that Dad bands should stay out of bars.

Now... we have to define EXACTLY what a Dad band is, and communicate that to the world, and get everyone to agree, and then send OP and the Harmony Central Dad Band Police around to every bar to enforce it.

LOL! No, that is not what I've been saying at all. In fact I've been saying the exact opposite - that there IS no such standard. Anything can work for anybody, if they have the passion and dedication to make it work.

Or count on the Dad bands to self-enforce based on the power of OP's argument. Both of which are obviously completely ridiculous.

So the whole discussion is pretty much pointless.

Bars are going to hire bands for whatever reasons they want, subtle or stupid.

Bands are going to put on whatever show they want, good or bad.

Hopefully, most of us would like to become better musicians. And most of us would also try to help our local scenes thrive if we could. Whenever I give advice here, I do it in that spirit. And I think lots of people have tried something different as a result of feedback they got here. We had one guy say he ditched his music stand after reading some of the commentary here, and that it felt great. It happens. People post their live videos and get feedback on how they could improve, and they may get some comments that are hard to hear but it helps them. That's the only objective here. If it doesn't apply to you, then of course feel free to ignore it.

But what I'm saying is... try to see yourself, as a musician, from the audience's perspective. Are you somebody that you'd want to go see, or would pay to see, if you weren't you? :lol: You might in all honesty know you're not, or you might solicit feedback from other people who won't bull{censored} you. If you were a random passerby, and heard your band outside a club door, would you go in?

I will go away after I make my main point one more time: make the best decisions YOU can, and stop bitching and blaming others if it doesn't work out the way you hoped.

I don't think it's "bitching and blaming others" to acknowledge some of the things that are detrimental to the music scene. We are happy with the decisions we've made as a band and what we've accomplished over 10 years. But it's not all about us. The music scene has a lot of problems, whether from a musician's perspective or a fan's or a venue owner's. I think there are things that can be done to fix that. If you don't think that's worth discussing and it's just "bitching and blaming others," OK, we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Members

This thread simply illustrates some of the people you run into in the music scene...not your friends, not just patrons, but people actively seeking to tear others down in some way.

Why is it important to a bunch of kids whether some guys in their 40s get together and knock out some Bad Company at the dive bar once in a while?

• Members

This thread simply illustrates some of the people you run into in the music scene...not your friends, not just patrons, but people actively seeking to tear others down in some way.

Why is it important to a bunch of kids whether some guys in their 40s get together and knock out some Bad Company at the dive bar once in a while?

Simple: Shorts. Music stands. Hawaiian shirts. Blooz licks.

I dunno... I don't get it either.

• Members

I think some people get irritated by it for the same reason they get irritated when people show up at a wedding in shorts and tank tops. Some things that used to be classy institutions have become way too casual. I remember a time when people used to dress up just to go out and hear music and dance. The bands were really dressed well. Even little taverns with hobby bands had guys who wore "stage clothes". Now, it's whatever. I understand comfort, but showmanship has been sacrificed for it.

Then again, lots of us remember when music was a cool and fairly elite profession. I have said before, there was a day when I was a 22 year old kid playing in a band making twice what my friends were, who were framing houses, and I was working almost half the hours. Those days are gone, and I suppose any semblance of professionalism with them. :cry:

• Moderators

I think some people get irritated by it for the same reason they get irritated when people show up at a wedding in shorts and tank tops. Some things that used to be classy institutions have become way too casual.

Exactly. Putting some effort into your appearance signifies a measure of respect for the event you are attending, and for a musician, it signifies respect for your audience and your bandmates.

• Members

Then again, lots of us remember when music was a cool and fairly elite profession. I have said before, there was a day when I was a 22 year old kid playing in a band making twice what my friends were, who were framing houses, and I was working almost half the hours. Those days are gone, and I suppose any semblance of professionalism with them.
:cry:

That's a really good point actually (as someone who came up in a similar situation as you know). And I think it actually speaks to the deeper issue of what bugs me. I've never been one to particularly care about what people wear onstage (and have always been big on defying office dress codes and women's fashion trends :D), but like I've been saying all through this thread, it's the attitude that is often underneath it that bugs me. Mainly the attitude that art=commerce, that if you're not making a lot of money at music it isn't as important as "back in the day" when people could make a decent living at it. I don't make all or even most of my money from music anymore (although my bandmates do), but that doesn't mean it doesn't mean as much to me or that I don't work just as hard at it as I used to. It isn't like going bowling on weekends or playing a round of golf with my buddies. Nobody is watching when you do that. People (outside of your family and friends) actually expect to be moved in some way (even if it's just their booties being moved) by watching someone else play music, even though it's turned into a mostly moribund little hobby so some of them have forgotten what that's like, having mostly been merely entertained by it for the last few years. I can't understand why anyone would bother to get on a stage if they're going to do it half assed, other than pure ego.

And no, there is no universal standard for "half assed" and I am not declaring myself the arbiter of what's half assed and what isn't. :rolleyes: But I think most people know it when they see/hear it.

• Members

Great thread.

I've noticed a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy going on with my music and attire over the past few of years. The more I put into each gig, looks-wise and music-wise, the more I'm offered the next time around. The more I'm offered, the more I feel a responsibility to look good, play well, and even work up new material for each gig. It's a cycle, but a good one that has pushed me to be better and better.

I have a solo gig coming up this Saturday where the promoter is charging $20 per person! :freak:

So now the pressure is on to look especially good, and to really deliver some entertainment, see if I can get $25 or $30 per next time. :lol:

Archived