Music Stand: I'm planning to use one at tomorrow's gig! Anyone care to discuss it?

New Trail

• Members

I'm playing a gig with a band that I don't play with very often and they play some off-the-wall alternative/modern rock.....so.....I've decided to use a stand for notes on keys, chord changes, etc., rather than wing it and have more mistakes!

Anybody got a problem with that?!? :mad::):wave:

• Members

Nope... A booklight helps, especially if you are on a really dark stage. I have a great one I got with my Kindle. It clips right to the stand and runs on batteries. Make sure you stare at the music stand as often as possible to avoid eye contact with the audience. You don't need them creating any undue stress during your performance. If you feel tired during the set, feel free to grab a chair or stool and sit down. Standing a whole set can make your feet hurt. Ouchie! Oh, and remember to create a new thread about music stands so you can report back to us how it all went. Good luck:thu:

• Members

Make sure you wear cargo shorts and a tank top or Hawaiian shirt because lights get hot, and a baseball cap will keep the lights out of your eyes. And some nice white court or running shoes will keep your feet from getting tired, especially when worn with some nice thick crew socks. Knee highs are best for ankle and calf support. Rock it!

• Members

I'm playing a gig with a band that I don't play with very often and they play some off-the-wall alternative/modern rock.....so.....I've decided to use a stand for notes on keys, chord changes, etc., rather than wing it and have more mistakes!

Anybody got a problem with that?!?
:mad::):wave:

Nope. Fill in gig? Stand away.

• Members

Anybody got a problem with that?!?
:mad::):wave:

I would say it's okay...but not because it's a band you play with infrequently and it would be impossible to play the songs correctly without notes.

Instead, I think it's okay because I was walking by the San Diego Symphony the other day and saw them using music stands. So by analogy, in your alternative/modern rock band, it would be perfectly appropriate for you to use a music stand.

• Members

Youse guys are effin' highlarious!...;)

BTW it's a daytime gig so no light on the stand will be necessary. And I won't be wearing cargo shorts because of my motel tan legs but I guarantee the singer will........but.....he's from the Pearl Jam/RHCP era so it's cool, actually practically a requirement for those guys, especially the lead singer...:p!

• Members

Make sure you wear cargo shorts and a tank top or Hawaiian shirt because lights get hot, and a baseball cap will keep the lights out of your eyes. And some nice white court or running shoes will keep your feet from getting tired, especially when worn with some nice thick crew socks. Knee highs are best for ankle and calf support. Rock it!

:thu:

Might I add:

Don't forget to bring a walker! It's hell shuffling across a stage on your own strength.

And I agree with the cargo shorts: a nice bulky pair will mask unseemly bulges from Depends adult diapers.

• Members

UPDATE: As it turned out I didn't use a music stand after all. The main reason is that it was too windy. I taped the notes to about 4 songs down on the stage by my pedalboard and it worked just fine. Am I back in good graces now (Elvis had words on the floor on some later concerts)?

• Members

I really only show up on HC anymore for these posts.

• Members

Nope... A booklight helps, especially if you are on a really dark stage. I have a great one I got with my Kindle. It clips right to the stand and runs on batteries. Make sure you stare at the music stand as often as possible to avoid eye contact with the audience. You don't need them creating any undue stress during your performance. If you feel tired during the set, feel free to grab a chair or stool and sit down. Standing a whole set can make your feet hurt. Ouchie! Oh, and remember to create a new thread about music stands so you can report back to us how it all went. Good luck:thu:

^^^ What he said ^^^

Archived