Any of you play in a house band

drumsnbeer

• Members

Oh yeah, I see his point. But if you do a quick search for "classic country" bands, you'll see that a lot of these guys are REALLY old. Many are certainly very good bands, but the age of the players often just lends to an entirely different presentation of the material than you would get from a younger group playing the same stuff with a different attitude.

So I see the venue's point as well. They want the old style music, but they don't really want it performed by a band who might be better suited for an afternoon senior-citizen BBQ than for a nightclub.

No offense to any of the very-good bands out there but, everything else being equal, it's not to hard to imagine why an agent might think one of these bands would be better suited to provide the type of atmosphere the event requires over the other:

l.jpgjdirving3.JPG

• Members

Yup. Regardless of genre or age, you can't really get away from appearance-based discrimination, can you? I 'spose that's fair, because we can do something about that.

And it might not even really be an appearance issue so much as one of style. It might be that while the agent wants classic country, what he most wants is to make sure that he gets Dwight Yoakam and not the Sons of the Pioneers. And he, rightly or wrongly, thinks putting an age limit on the band is the easiest way to narrow the applicants to his liking.

• Members

And it might not even really be an appearance issue so much as one of style. It might be that while the agent wants classic country, what he most wants is to make sure that he gets Dwight Yoakam and not the Sons of the Pioneers. And he, rightly or wrongly, thinks putting an age limit on the band is the easiest way to narrow the applicants to his liking.

Dwight is no spring chicken either lol he was born in 1956

• Members

Dwight is no spring chicken either lol he was born in 1956

Actually, that was my point. I was speaking in terms of musical style and approach rather than just physical age. I'd bet that if a group of 60-somethings came in looking and sounding like Yoakam's band, the agent in question would have no problem lifting the "under 50" age requirement.

• Members
Actually, that was my point. I was speaking in terms of musical style and approach rather than just physical age. I'd bet that if a group of 60-somethings came in looking and sounding like Yoakam's band, the agent in question would have no problem lifting the "under 50" age requirement.

If age is a problem I guess we wont be playing there. we are 42,56,60,62,and the three guys that divy up the drummer seat are 60 ,61 and 65. Life is too short to worry about dooch nozzels who hire by age. :thu:

Archived