DJ's: How successful would they be if they didn't work the crowd and only played.....

New Trail

• Members

Nothing wrong with having a defined idea of what you like and what you don't. If it isn't your cup of tea, nothing wrong with that either. I prefer to use terms that specifically state what I'm all about. If you view it as defensive, well, I can't agree with that perception. You and others here aren't the people I'm talking about when I use the words "performing flea" either. It's a segment of narrow-minded people in this area I am referring to.

I understand. At the same time, just because somebody shouts out "play some Skynyrd!" doesn't necessarily mean that the person is a narrow-minded jerk or that the only way to please that person is to play "3 Steps". Or to even play Skynyrd. Yeah, sometimes people are just being jerks, and nothing you can do about that. But sometimes all they are really saying is "entertain me!" Which IS the reason you're on stage right?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The line about the so-called 'Skynyrd' fan and other somewhat rude people was meant in jest, simply for purpose of example. I don't actually bend over to show my ass or play a song on command when someone screams it out. Not for a dude anyway. :lol:

The Beatles used to hear their German audience scream "Mach schau! Mach schau! ("Make show!") in their Hamburg days. Their response to deal with it was to play the fool (Lennon walking around with a toilet seat around his shoulders and neck), learn a lot of songs the Germans liked, and develop their comedy routines off of each other. It worked for them and they went from being one of the crummiest bands in Liverpool to one of the best, although it can be argued that a lot of that had to do with the 'boot camp' nature of playing for several hours a day, every day with little sleep and basically living on speed.

I entertain people just fine. If I didn't, the place would be empty, no one would look at the band and the guy hiring us would stop doing so. I hear compliments all the time about how great we are, how wonderful my voice is, love the songs, how powerful it is, etc. I was simply pointing out the people that yell rude things are simply hecklers and hecklers can be either dealt with by giving into them or shutting them down. I usually prefer to shut them down and 'make' them love me instead. ;)

• Members

I entertain people just fine.)

Yeah, I'm sure you do. I wasn't being critical of you, or even addressing you direct really. Just using your post as a launching pad for the point I wanted to throw in: hecklers are hecklers and can/should be dealt with as such. But also be careful to notice when the 'heckle' might simply be a way of somebody trying to tell you "you're not connecting".

• Members

Oh, that's definitely true. I'm not so in my own head that I don't gauge people's reactions for what needs to be done. I occasionally mess up, of course. Last weekend, we played The Black Keys' "Lonely Boy" following "Copperhead Road" for some hot chicks and they practically ran for the door haha. At the same time, one guy kept making loud remarks about the songs we did, how long our breaks were (we were actually following the bar owner's advice...we cut our break short as soon as some hot chicks came in, played a few songs, then resumed the break, something this guy didn't realize...or care about), etc. We were obviously not his type of band, but we were for almost everyone else there, so I could care less about entertaining him personally. In fact, I was hoping he would leave sooner.

We're not for everyone and that is fine with me. But when there is a larger segment making comments like 'more slow dance tunes' even though my drummer wants to rock, we'll do the slower dance tunes. I'd rather see happy faces out there than disappointed ones, just like anyone else.

• Members

I am doing that, have been doing that, and have always done that. I don't think any of us here are in the habit of "making excuses" and leaving it at that. I haven't seen much of it anyway...

I have no idea who HERE is just making excuses or not. I don't enough knowledge of anyone's bands to have an opinion on that one way or another and I certainly wasn't accusing anyone HERE of doing that. But I certainly HAVE seen plenty of excuse-making from a gazillion different musicians and bands over the years. It's a pretty common occurence, in my experience.

Archived