Rocking the Retirement Home and other "Odd" gigs

• Members

Over the years, I have played the nursing homes several times with church choir. Always a humbling experience.

Played one NICE retirement facility a few years ago. Keyboard player called me up and asked us to do it. He took on the managerial role of sorts, as the show was a skit, and we were playing things like "Mack The Knife" and "Unforgettable" which were outside of his comfort zone. Anyway, it was a fun gig, and very rewarding.

We also played the local Veteran's Home for a while. It was a no-drinking establishment, and we didn't make much money, but we were always loading out by 9:30 or so. And really enjoyed it. Lot of old country, but we could get by with some line-dance standards, and even some Bob Seger and Chuck Berry.

Hope to get to do it again, soon. My aunt is in one of the local facilities, with Parkinson's. She played some piano, and always sang beautifully (IMHO). My wife, along with her sisters and brother-in-law, do some old gospel "red hymnal" standards. Nowhere NEAR professional level, but that doesn't matter.

Honestly, I need to do more of this.

jamieb
+++++

• Members

Willie is from texas ,,, everything is bigger in texas, including the buzz

One of 12MN's big "sing-along" tunes! Love me some CCR (Both CCR's, actually. ;)) Not so crazy about the stuff from Cody Canada and The Departed. Weird, since Cody and Plato were probably considered the better musicians from Ragweed...

• Members

I've pretty much stopped regular gigging, but play a monthly gig at a retirement home that i took to keep me from getting too rusty. I have to say, i'd rather play there than a bar gig any day! Some reasons:

1. The audience are actually there to listen to the music, not to try to hook up (though it would be interesting to see!) or anything else.
2. They're not all ignoring the band to watch the big game on TV.
3. Nobody's wating for you to take a break so they can turn on the jukebox and listen to the songs they really like.
4. No drunks trying to get up on stage and sing. And i've yet to have a beer bottle thrown at me.
5. I don't worry about not having enough current material in my repertoire.
6. Nobody cares if i forget the lyrics (these folks have all been there).
7. I get home at 5pm rather than 5am.

I'm playing a mix of (mostly 60's-70's) rock with classic standards on sax. I've found that any upbeat songs they can tap their toes to go over well (can't go wrong with early Beatles stuff). Though it's great when you see someone singing along on one of the older songs. All in all, playing for these folks is a treat (even if i'm just the opening act for the wekly Bingo game.) :)

- Jimbo

• Members

Hope to get to do it again, soon. My aunt is in one of the local facilities, with Parkinson's. She played some piano, and always sang beautifully (IMHO). My wife, along with her sisters and brother-in-law, do some old gospel "red hymnal" standards. Nowhere NEAR professional level, but that doesn't matter.

Honestly, I need to do more of this.

jamieb

+++++

That's so cool to hear that you may be inspired to do this!

I know it's been a real blessing for me and I'm actually looking forward to going down there again next week and in the future.

It's kinda funny that after we played one of the more upbeat tunes that had me kinda "moving around" up there or whatever, one of the older guys came up to me and whispered conspiratorally: "You need to come out here on Saturday nights (and sit in) with that other band and show em how it's done". LOL. I had em all fooled I guess! I kept tryin' to tell em that! LOL

• Members

UPDATE:

I'm apparently now "on the list" to go and play a gig at Luther Luckett Prison (I asked about it and no one else has stepped up on bass, so...) :cop:

I'll post back how it went I suppose. Haven't gotten the setlist but it'll probably be contemporary Christian stuff of some kind.

• Members
UPDATE:

I'm apparently now "on the list" to go and play a gig at Luther Luckett Prison (I asked about it and no one else has stepped up on bass, so...)
:cop:

I'll post back how it went I suppose. Haven't gotten the setlist but it'll probably be contemporary Christian stuff of some kind.

Screw that. If you're gonna play a prison than do it RIGHT....

• Members

First thing I thought of!

ANd the irony is this: at the old folks gig they/we played "Folsom Prison Blues" AND "Jackson". LMFAO.

So now I'm rolling into a real prison and its probably gonna be stuff they've never heard before! The irony....

• Members

I think playing at a prison deserves its own thread. I've done it once, and I've never heard such a loud boisterous positive response. Maybe the three front chick singers had something to do with it. (One of the singers' old man was doing time, in case you're wondering why and how we got the gig.)

Archived