Thought I'd share thoughts from our agent and a club...

GCDEF

• Members

Got this email from our booking agent that she sent to all her bands.

Had long talk with *******(club manager) , about bands not staying current with their songlists. He feels that the bands they rotate now are certainly good, but dating themselves. Playing songs these young college girls don

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is what it is... if you want that crowd you must play some current stuff. the tricky part is like we have all said before...It fades FAST.

Those younger gals love to hear a band with male lead singing Pink or Gaga. Can

• Members

Gavin Degraw-??? really ??? Shed some light maybe I can pick up a new tune he has that our crowd will love.

"I don't want to be" is a great tune (IMO) and is (was?) the theme song for One Tree Hill, a series popular with teen girls a few years back.

His new tune ("Not Over You") might have legs as well if you rock it up some, but I'm not so sure about that one.

(This is all theoretical, of course).

• Members

Reads like an agent doing his part to help market the bands he has agreed to agent, based on feedback from the venues he is scheduling.

That's exactly what it is. She's basing her advice on what the clubs are telling her and passing it on to the bands. She has access to most of the bigger and better clubs in the area and she knows what they're looking for.

• Members

The dance/pop genre is constantly moving and changing. A song may last one year before it is consider passe or boring. The churn rate for songs in such bands must be enormous. Lady Gaga is only churning her own music, but a cover band is churning 15 different artists.

• Members

The dance/pop genre is constantly moving and changing. A song may last one year before it is consider passe or boring. The churn rate for songs in such bands must be enormous. Lady Gaga is only churning her own music, but a cover band is churning 15 different artists.

She said "rock/dance/pop", not "dance/pop". Aside from that, what's your point?

• Members

*re-reads his previous post*

I don't get your response, other than it be semantics. I was commenting on how keeping up with an ever changing *current* music scene for said genre must be difficult to stay *current*.

• Members

*re-reads his previous post*

I don't get your response, other than it be semantics. I was commenting on how keeping up with an ever changing *current* music scene for said genre must be difficult to stay *current*.

Yep, but if you want the better money in the better clubs, that's what you need to do - around here anyway. Since there are a couple of threads going on right now about how to make your band more appealing, I thought it timely to pass on this advice.

• Members

I don't how you bands do it I really don't. A. you have to run tracks in order to play all this music. B. you have to have a heck of a keyboad player to pull it off to.

I saw a variety big bag (Johnny Holmes and the traveling fun show) and I think their minimum is 5 K a night. They did poker face with the band and frankly I thought it sounded cheesy and not even close to the original. Keep in mind they have a full rig with 2 sound guys and you even heard them add effects to the chick singers mic as well.

More and more music is all electronic or majority is electronic based, I don't see how your pulling it off, even if you do even most musicians know there is no way to reproduce the music 100 % to a "studio" product.

• Members

I don't how you bands do it I really don't. A. you have to run tracks in order to play all this music. B. you have to have a heck of a keyboad player to pull it off to.

I saw a variety big bag (Johnny Holmes and the traveling fun show) and I think their minimum is 5 K a night. They did poker face with the band and frankly I thought it sounded cheesy and not even close to the original. Keep in mind they have a full rig with 2 sound guys and you even heard them add effects to the chick singers mic as well.

More and more music is all electronic or majority is electronic based, I don't see how your pulling it off, even if you do even most musicians know there is no way to reproduce the music 100 % to a "studio" product.

This line from her message is important. "Be creative. No one is saying you have to

• Members

The dance/pop genre is constantly moving and changing. A song may last one year before it is consider passe or boring. The churn rate for songs in such bands must be enormous.

That's nothing new. When I was playing Top 40 rock in the 80s, most songs would last 3-6 months tops. Might seem odd now because many of those songs have been standards, but there was a time when I played "Livin' on A Prayer" when it was a current hit and a few months later nobody wanted to hear it anymore. It was 20 years before anyone wanted to hear those songs again.

If you're playing often enough, it shouldn't be a big deal. When we were playing 5 nights a week, we were usually sick of that song after a few months anyway. But when you're only playing 2-3 times a month, it's hard to keep up with learning new songs that you might have to drop before you even get it tight.

• Members

for most of the keys work on Katy Perry songs the hardest part is not falling asleep from boredom

• Members

No you don't - you just need to be creative:

[video=youtube;Gtl8K0kO4P4]

• Members

Trick is to find songs that might have staying power so you're not churning as much.

Much of the modern stuff is too simple, repetitive, overly derivative, and will be forgotten VERY soon, IMHO.

Pop music too loud and all sounds the same: official

As an example, one of my few "modern" songs is "Rehab". I actually LIKE the song because of that old Stax/Motown sound, it's fun to try to sing it like Amy Winehouse, and 6 years later the song is still instantly recognizable and fills dance floors.

Unless someone is paying me extra for a specific song for an event, I avoid learning "throwaways" like the plague.

• Members

This weekend, I'm playing a private event for a 50th birthday bash. So I asked the daughter what sort of music her mother would enjoy. She started rattling off all these modern artists and songs, many of which I had never heard of. So I put on the brakes and said, "That sounds like music YOU like, not your 50 year old mother. Maybe you can talk to her and get back to me."

Sure enough, she contacted me later and cheerfully said, "Change of plan. Just play a lot of 80s music and my mom will love you."

Done, and I didn't have to learn any new material, "throwaway" or otherwise. :D

• Members

That's nothing new. When I was playing Top 40 rock in the 80s, most songs would last 3-6 months tops. Might seem odd now because many of those songs have been standards, but there was a time when I played "Livin' on A Prayer" when it was a current hit and a few months later nobody wanted to hear it anymore. It was 20 years before anyone wanted to hear those songs again.

..... it's hard to keep up with learning new songs that you might have to drop before you even get it tight.

This was SO true in the 60's and early 70's too. Classic rock wasn't classic yet, it was current. If you had songs on your set list that were much more then a year old you weren't current enough. Probably always is and always will be the case where the youngest crowds are gathered.

• Members

A. you have to run tracks in order to play all this music. Yup (we don't go this route)

B. you have to have a heck of a keyboad player to pull it off to. And Yup We have two...

Again, we choose our own spin on it... but the fact is, it's current, it draws... we get paid... end of story.

Take some chances and be creative with it and you can go pretty far with some of this material.

Archived