song arrangement suggestions?

• Members

We get a lot of oddball special requests to learn for weddings, but this one is kind of throwing me for a loop:

Love and Marriage by Frank Sinatra. Also known as the theme from "Married With Children".

We'll only play it once, so it's not something we want to spend hours and hours rehearsing or working up. And obviously playing it "just like the record" isn't going to be possible considering the orchestral arrangement. Nor is necessarily stripping it down to an 'acoustic ballad' type arrangement. Sinatra and Riddle obviously approached this one as a bit of novelty tune, and I think it needs to keep some of that flavor. They want this one while they are cutting the cake.

I like these sort of challenges, but this one is a bit of a head-scratcher for me right now. Any suggestions on how to approach this one with keys/guitar/bass?

[video=youtube;BRDBvKGc1fE]

• Members

I think the key element is to keep the "oom-pah" feel, which should be easy for the rhythm section... otherwise, for the bridge and outro, I'd let the bass step forward, with the keys filling on top of that.

Definitely not something to get too cute with, as long as you have the oom-pah and the lyrics, that's all anyone will really care about IMO.

• Members

You are going to have to pick a couple sig sounds on your keyboard , spit it and have at it. I would do somthing with your vocals to work in the girls to back up the male lead vocal, or pass the lead vocals back and forth between the girls and your lead male vocal....Make it yours because thats about your only option. Go with your strong suit ,, to carry most of the load ,, that would be vocals. To do anything more than that you would have to use tracks.

• Members

I think the key element is to keep the "oom-pah" feel, which should be easy for the rhythm section... otherwise, for the bridge and outro, I'd let the bass step forward, with the keys filling on top of that.

Definitely not something to get too cute with, as long as you have the oom-pah and the lyrics, that's all anyone will really care about IMO.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I'm thinking I'll just "oom-pah" the chord changes on the keys and have the guitar play a single note melody from the string line on top. Certainly the more simple, the better.

Give me a bouncy, bouncy "C"!

• Moderators

Do you have any sort of Calliope sound? That mildly out of tune, pump bellows sound would be cool on this... have the girls do a pad of oohs and aahs like the Andrew Sisters and keep the male lead.

Oh... and the guitarist could go to uke, that might be cool.

Archived