Guys in (mostly) original bands: what songs do you cover/have you covered?

BATCAT

• Members

Our second album included covers of "Time Warp" and "Bela Lugosi's Dead" (which we re-titled "Bela's Dead"). In our live set we currently do a version of "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling," re-titled "Irish Eyes." It's starts with the traditional chorus played clean with just a guitar (or sometimes mandolin if I'm feeling adventurous), then there are two choruses with new lyrics, with the whole band kicked in, done sped-up punkabilly style, with solos in between each:

When Irish eyes are smiling,

Sure, 'tis like the morn in Spring.

In the lilt of Irish laughter

You can hear the angels sing.

When Irish hearts are happy,

All the world seems bright and gay.

And when Irish eyes are smiling,

Sure, they

• Members

pretty much anything and everything. 5 cds worth of originals. we run 85 percent covers to 15 percent originals. Are we an original band or a cover band. We are both but tend to run like a cover band and treat the original stuff like covers. Its pretty common in country/ americana music if you are doing pvt events or regular bar gigs. Festivals are pretty well all original stuff off the CDs

• Members

Yes they are! I'm listening to Rhino's stuff right now- it's like a breath of fresh air
:thu:

Thanks guy!

We'll have to meet for a beer or coffee or something next time I come through town. And when I say something maybe you could sit in on a few tunes. For longer sets we usually have a nord set up.

• Members

Dat solo indeed. It baffles me to no end....any idea what key(s) it is in?

I think it moves between a couple of keys. I have to stop and sit down with it, I seem to remember thinking of it as F# mixolydian, Bb minor, and F# minor at a couple of points, but I never completely sat down with it.

• Members

"Spain" - Chick Corea

"YYZ" - Rush

"The Sound of Muzak" - Porcupine Tree

"Aeroplane" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

"Proto Cosmos" - Tony Williams Lifetime

"Nervous Breakdown" - Brad Paisley

"Superstition" - Stevie Wonder

"Get It Like That" - The Aristocrats

"Point d'Org" - Morglbl

...all with the same band? Something about the idea of the same band playing Porcupine Tree, Brad Paisley, and Stevie Wonder just tickles me.

• Members

Our second album included covers of "Time Warp" and "Bela Lugosi's Dead" (which we re-titled "Bela's Dead"). In our live set we currently do a version of "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling," re-titled "Irish Eyes." It's starts with the traditional chorus played clean with just a guitar (or sometimes mandolin if I'm feeling adventurous), then there are two choruses with new lyrics, with the whole band kicked in, done sped-up punkabilly style, with solos in between each:

When Irish eyes are smiling,

Sure, 'tis like the morn in Spring.

In the lilt of Irish laughter

You can hear the angels sing.

When Irish hearts are happy,

All the world seems bright and gay.

And when Irish eyes are smiling,

Sure, they

• Members

Too cool. My bagpipe band does "Irish Eyes" for St. Patrick's Day and Ancient Order of Hibernians events, but this will make me smile to myself. Way too many years of the Troubles and terrorism from both sides. Mark C.

Ta for that. We used to play an Irish bar called the Shamrock (family-run, with the father/owner born in Ireland) and I was a bit hesitant to do it there at first, one never knows what people's sentiments will be. As it turned out, the owner thereafter used to request that we play it.

• Members

"Spain" - Chick Corea

"YYZ" - Rush

"The Sound of Muzak" - Porcupine Tree

"Aeroplane" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

"Proto Cosmos" - Tony Williams Lifetime

"Nervous Breakdown" - Brad Paisley

"Superstition" - Stevie Wonder

"Get It Like That" - The Aristocrats

"Point d'Org" - Morglbl

You must have a virtuouso band! But I regret to inform you, that the consensus here on HC is that no breasts worth seeing will be uncovered and thrust in your direction when you play that type material. So what's the point?

• Members

You must have a virtuouso band! But I regret to inform you, that the consensus here on HC is that no breasts worth seeing will be uncovered and thrust in your direction when you play that type material. So what's the point?

Haaahahahahaha!! Truer words have seldom been spoken (or typed)!

That, my friend, is why all of us in the band also have other regular gigs with cover bands! ;)

Archived