Anyone watch Wedding Band?

JailTime

• Members

Have you seen
Treme
? It's not about a particular band, per se, but several of its many story-lines deal with various New Orleans musicians at a variety of levels, from busking locals to a few with national or budding national careers. Also lots of terrific cameos by actual musicans of local and national renown. Great show in lots of other ways, too. It's not always perfectly realistic, but it comes closer than anything I've ever seen on TV, and from time to time it gets things beautifully right.

Louis

havent had a chance yet but I am a big fan of David Simon's other stuff so I should get around to it sometime soon.

• Members

Watched the first two episodes. My take on the show:

As a TV series:

Not bad as far as basic cable sitcoms go. Would probably be better to be only 30 min though rather than an hour as both episodes felt "padded" to me. Obviously there's only so many "wedding band" gags to use, so it's clear the idea is simply to use the band as a launching pad for other adventures in the band members' lives. That's fine as long as they are funny. The plot line for the 2nd episode was only moderately so. I like the cast though, and the acting is decent enough.

As a band parody:

Also pretty 'meh'. They hit all the band-member cliches: the 'family guy' trying to fit the band in around his family life; the 'former local rock star' who is fine being a star at weddings because he's outgrown the local bar scene; the 'muso' who's worried the songs and gigs are going to be 'sell-outs'; the former bigger-music career guy who is slumming with this band for reasons not entirely clear. There's some fertile ground to milk there should they choose to do so. There's enough fairly-authentic "inside jokes" to keep my attention and probably keep me watching the show, but not enough to make it a spot-on parody in the way something like "This Is Spinal Tap" was. Then again, too many of those and they probably lose their core audience. I doubt the show was designed to appeal to musicians particularly. As long as it's close enough to remind people of the musician-who's-married-to-my-wife's-cousin it should probably work.

I'll probably keep watching. But certainly not going to be upset if I miss some episodes or it gets cancelled in a few weeks.

Archived