If you play guitar AND keys...

mstreck

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good point. That's the main reason I set up stage-right. If I were left-handed, I'm sure I'd be setting up on the other side of the stage.

I've had more than one mishap on stage that forced me to start setting up as I now do, including a time I actually snapped a key on my (crappy cheap) keyboard when my headstock whacked it.

Playing on small stages also means playing Tetris with gear too...20ft square stage+ me+ bassist+drummer on flats kit= squashed.

• Members

If you're singing: front and center. If not, off to the side as already described. Simple. NEXT

Yea I seen Rare Earth at bar about 15 years ago who had his drums where the lead singer would be, but he was the lead singer and dug how he would stand and play at times. Great musician and great band with unorthodox method of having his drums in the singer spot light.

• Members

I've always hated playing guitar (or in my case bass) from behind the keyboards. In the last band where i played both we'd set up as if we were a 5-piece band (there were four of us), with the bass player (me) set up in front of the keyboards (which were facing front), so that i could move between the two positions. This setup works best if you can arrange the setlist to minimize switching between instruments, i.e. at most once per set. And if space is really tight you can push the keyboards back against the backline when playing out front.

- Jimbo

• Members

So ... what'd you add to your rig? One of the new Alesis Vortex units?

Yes! Seems pretty cool. Still deciding what's the best way to work it into the rig as an controller since I don't have a dedicated midi unit. Right now I'm thinking I'll just use a MidiMerge and let both the Motif and the Vortex control the Kronos at will. I was hoping to use the Vortex to control Motif sounds as well, but I don't think that's gonna happen easily without getting something like your Motu MIDI Express.

BTW, how do you like that M-Audio Wireless MIDI?

• Members

I don't need a lot of keys for what we currently do so I made a stand for a 25 key controller. I've had the full key stack with an XS6 and an S90ES and just stood behind the keys to play guitar parts. Now, I have this slightly off to one side, but in front of me so I don't have to mess with the mic placement. Works well. My Motif Rack ES and guitar amp are all rack mounted, so I setup pretty quickly as I just have to drop a rack on stage and plug myself in.

KeysandGuitar.jpg

• Members

...how do you like that M-Audio Wireless MIDI?

I've got mixed feelings about the M-Audio Wireless MIDI rig. In my rig - I have the wireless "transceiver" unit wired into my keyboard rack. The MIDI Outof the "transceiver" runs directly into one of the MIDI "IN" ports on the Motu MidiExpress - which means I simply power up the wireless transmitter "bodypack" (which I have taped to the body of my AX Synth) - and I'm immediately wireless. The mixed feelings part is that the range of the device is VERY limited. During soundcheck ... I can usually wander anywhere up to 40 ft from the base station ... but, one the dance floor is filled ... that range drops such that I'm basically able to walk out to the front of the stage ... 15 feet or so from the base station with confidence. After that - it gets iffy! Again, it works great ... but has an very limited range.

• Members

Usually at an angle to my left, as I'm left-handed and so my guitar is pointing right. That way my guitar neck isn't in the way when I need them.

I never have a problem with this...but I'm tall and my guitar neck sits comfortably above the keyboard. I'm kinda weird in that I also put my mic stand to my front-left (and I'm a righty guitar player).

It's more comfortable for me that way because more often than not I'm standing closer to the center of the stage next to our singer anyways.

• Members

I don't need a lot of keys for what we currently do so I made a stand for a 25 key controller. I've had the full key stack with an XS6 and an S90ES and just stood behind the keys to play guitar parts. Now, I have this slightly off to one side, but in front of me so I don't have to mess with the mic placement. Works well. My Motif Rack ES and guitar amp are all rack mounted, so I setup pretty quickly as I just have to drop a rack on stage and plug myself in.

KeysandGuitar.jpg

Dig the stand and nice job

• Members

Dig the stand and nice job

Thanks. I converted a music stand by taking off the top and then riveted a smaller plate there instead. A bit of Velcro....and it's all done.

You can just about make out a little box under there too. It's a power supply for the keyboard epoxied into a plastic project enclosure. It's all part of the easy set up so I don't have to lug a wall wart around.

This whole setup works well. It's gotten a lot of use.

• Members

Thanks. I converted a music stand by taking off the top and then riveted a smaller plate there instead. A bit of Velcro....and it's all done.

You can just about make out a little box under there too. It's a power supply for the keyboard epoxied into a plastic project enclosure. It's all part of the easy set up so I don't have to lug a wall wart around.

This whole setup works well. It's gotten a lot of use.

Nicely done!

• Members

I burned through two of them in less than two years - disposable garbage IMO. With the coin you are making I would definitely recommend the MidiJet system, and its not that much more money really.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Right now, I'm wondering how much I'll even end up using the thing. As I'm going through my songlist, I'm realizing I play 2 boards much more than I thought I did. And I think it's only visually appropriate for certain songs anyway.

I definately want to use it so I can come out from behind the keys and sing "Love Shack" with a girl on either side of me. I think that will be a better visual presentation for the song. But I'll have to either set up a 'split' on the controller or switch programs back-and-forth between organ and brass patches.

• Members

Keytar on "Love Shack" could LOOK really cool, for sure, assuming you're singing the male lead ("I got my a car, it's as big as a whale".

Hey, do you do "Funky Town"? Check out the official video from when Pseudo Echo covered it in the mid-80s. That was the first time I'd ever seen a Keytar. I thought his presentation was pretty good, even if he's not really playing it.

*rummages through youtube*

[video=youtube;XhhO5Jqt7jY]

God I love YouTube.

• Members

Keytar on "Love Shack" could LOOK really cool, for sure, assuming you're singing the male lead ("I got my a car, it's as big as a whale".

Yeah, I sing the lead on it.

Hey, do you do "Funky Town"? Check out the official video from when Pseudo Echo covered it in the mid-80s. That was the first time I'd ever seen a Keytar. I thought his presentation was pretty good, even if he's not really playing it.

A few years back when we were still an all-male band, we did this one. I knew that few people would remember the Pseudo Echo version, but I thought people might still dig it because the song is good and whether they knew that version or thought it was our own, that would be fine.

It bombed though, and we dropped it after 3 or 4 performances.

Of course...I didn't have a keytar then!

• Members

Right now, I'm wondering how much I'll even end up using the thing....

That's a damn good question too! I find that given the nature of the parts I play - be that because of the voices involved (i.e., splits and/or layers) - or the fact that the parts themselves simply demand two hands - there are a very limited # of tunes on the playlist that are candidates for "keytar-ing".

Then there's the issue of stage space. Our setup leaves us packed in there tighter'n an ugly 3rd grader in many of the venues we work - which makes trying to stand up and squeeze out from behind the "sit rig" for a tune or two - way more trouble than it's worth.

Finally, there's the reality (at least for me anyways!) that playing on the keytar is NOT like just playing another keyboard. You can't assume that you can take a part you play on a stationary keyboard and simply play it on the keytar. Parts that require any significant hand movement need to be practiced regularly - while standing and moving around. Keeping your hands/fingers "oriented" on a keyboard that is moving and more or less out of sight is NOT as easy as you might think.

Under the right circumstances - i.e, the right parts, the right stage setup and with sufficient practice - rockin' the keytar can be a ball. But I've been surprised to realize just how seldom "the sun, the moon and the stars" align in my world - meaning that I don't get to use the keytar anywhere near as much as I thought I would when I decided to buy the thing!

• Members

That's a damn good question too! I find that given the nature of the parts I play - be that because of the voices involved (i.e., splits and/or layers) - or the fact that the parts themselves simply
demand
two hands - there are a very limited # of tunes on the playlist that are candidates for "keytar-ing".

Then there's the issue of stage space. Our setup leaves us packed in there tighter'n an ugly 3rd grader in many of the venues we work - which makes trying to stand up and squeeze out from behind the "sit rig" for a tune or two - way more trouble than it's worth.

Finally, there's the reality (at least for me anyways!) that playing on the keytar is NOT like just playing another keyboard. You can't assume that you can take a part you play on a stationary keyboard and simply play it on the keytar. Parts that require any significant hand movement need to be practiced regularly - while standing and moving around. Keeping your hands/fingers "oriented" on a keyboard that is moving and more or less out of sight is NOT as easy as you might think.

Under the right circumstances - i.e, the
right
parts, the right stage setup and with sufficient practice - rockin' the keytar can be a ball. But I've been surprised to realize just how seldom "the sun, the moon and the stars" align in my world - meaning that I don't get to use the keytar anywhere near as much as I thought I would when I decided to buy the thing!

All true stuff.

I used to play a keytar years ago that was an accessory they sold to go along with the Prophet 5. This pre-dated midi and the remote was connected by two dedicated cables. It also made the P5 overheat, so I had to plug it in before the songs I used it on and unplug it right after. Good times! I only used that one a couple of times a night too. But yeah, I'm definiately aware of the differences with playing a keytar.

It's also different from playing a guitar. Because both hands are working simultaneously to play the same part on the guitar, there's never that feeling that the guitar is "floating" while you're playing it. With a keytar, it's a constant struggle to keep your hand in the right spot. At least for me anyway.

I hate singing lead from behind the keys. I try to use as much body language as possible to help sell the vocal and all of that gets lost when you only see the singer from the chest up. Plus I hate looking out in the crowd and seeing people scanning the stage to try and figure out where the vocal is coming come. They shouldn't have to do that. The singer should be plainly obvious.

I may very well just end up using it for the one song at first. We'll see.

I think I've posted this before, but here's the old P5 keytar ---

attachment.php?attachmentid=349896&d=135

• Members

Way cool outfit, was that a New Wave band?

As for singing lead from behind a keyboard, have you seen ScottS(?)'s avatar? The one where he has the keyboard on an articulating stand, positioned down low, articulated back about 20 degrees, and he's singing into a boom mike? It's different, but I think it looks good. The audience can see him clearly from the waist up, and can also see what his fingers are are doing.

• Members

Way cool outfit, was that a New Wave band?

Not exactly, but the pic is from somewhere around 1985.... That was my Psuedo Echo hairdo. :lol: If I had to take a guess I'm probably singing "Addicted To Love" in that pic which would have been a current Top 40 hit at the time. My how time flies....

As for singing lead from behind a keyboard, have you seen ScottS(?)'s avatar? The one where he has the keyboard on an articulating stand, positioned down low, articulated back about 20 degrees, and he's singing into a boom mike? It's different, but I think it looks good. The audience can see him clearly from the waist up, and can also see what his fingers are are doing.

I have seen that and I think that looks VERY cool. Love that look.

Archived